Prize Day At Crhs

angelo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So it wastes time, money and effort doing something no one else does on the island.

Only to be top in it.

Says it all really.

Nice to see the Head of QEII publicly supporting Head of CRHS. Both schools in the top 5 of schools in England. DOE no doubt profoundly upset by this show of support. Another Head to be investigated for "certain issues" ??

So it wastes time, money and effort doing something no one else does on the island.

Only to be top in it.

Says it all really.

Nice to see the Head of QEII publicly supporting Head of CRHS. Both schools in the top 5 of schools in England. DOE no doubt profoundly upset by this show of support. Another Head to be investigated for "certain issues" ??

how is that supporting the head of CRHS ? Surely they're either in the top 5 or not...

Only to be top in it.

Says it all really.

how is that supporting the head of CRHS ? Surely they're either in the top 5 or not...

Top 5, or top fifth?

S

NO other school do KS3 SATS on the isle of man.

All other schools DO NOT publish their results on any exams - its a gentlemans agreement. Every child has to go to the nearest school anyway. So - unless the OP is on a recruitment task to get bums on seats - then they are very much ill informed.

I suspect that the DoE is fiddling a few figures, and throwing a few education terms out of their arses in order to take some heat out of a a sticky situation. What the hell does the Minister know about Secondary Education anyway, when all she ever seems to do is visit primary school, and calls anyone of school age 'children'.

Ive some some news for you minister, schools have students or pupils in them, try telling a sweaty yr 11 with a tash that he is a child now and then - and you will soon see what life is like in schools.

Freedom to Flourish - A Curriculum for Learning & Achievement (April 2006)

School Self-Review and Evaluation

In 2005, the Department introduced a policy requiring schools to undertake School Self-Review and Evaluation, whereby the headteacher works with members of staff, parents, pupils and governors to evaluate the school’s strengths and weaknesses with the production of a written statement. Evaluation involves considering evidence of school operations and relating it to defined criteria as to whether the school is believed to be: outstanding (1); good (2); satisfactory (3); inadequate (4), in relation to the range of aspects of its operation listed below. This process is subject to external validation. The overall intention of School Self-Review and Evaluation is to ensure that schools are operating as successfully as possible in the delivery of a high quality education. Areas about which judgements are to be made and a grading given:

• overall effectiveness;

• value for money;

• the satisfaction of pupils with the school;

• the satisfaction of parents with the school;

• pupils’ achievement;

• attitudes and behaviour of pupils;

• pupils’ attendance;

• personal development;

• teaching and learning;

• the assessment of pupils’ work and progress;

• curricular opportunities;

• how well the school enriches the curriculum, including extra-curricular provision and learning outside the school day;

• how well the accommodation and resources at the school meet the needs of the curriculum;

• the care, welfare, health and safety of pupils;

• how well the school gives support, advice and guidance to pupils;

• pupils’ involvement in the school’s work and development;

• the effectiveness of links with parents;

• the effectiveness of educational and support programmes;

• the quality of links with the community;

• links with other institutions;

• governance;

• leadership;

• management.

I went to CRHS and I have to say looking back in hindsight it was pretty terrible - unless you were in the top 2 sets the rest of the classes were left to stagnate in my opinion. I was in the middle sets and I just seem to remember no one really bothering or noticing what I was doing (or not doing) whereas my mate was in the top set and her school life seemed a lot more advanced and more exciting than mine?

I dont think I was required to perform in any way and I just ended up trundling along really. The career advice I got was "be a hairdresser" - fair do's but I just seem to remember a constant boredom, which makes me think now that my mind was not being opened or stimulated.

Declan mentioned his English lessons and how he played Hangman - I didnt read Shakespeare, Dickens or any of the classics at school wich infuriates me to this day. When I left school I also did not have any clue about grammer - and it is still a weakness even though I have put myself through Uni.

Maybe kids and parents expect more from school now, but back then (80s and early 90s) I think there was still that mystique surrounding teachers and that they know best - now parents are a lot more pro-active.

You know sometimes I just seem to remember talking alot in lessons at school, don't really remember having to do much, or have much homework???

Weird!

No wonder I left school with shite GCSE's and had to resit them!! :)

I was at the awards evening. I found the speeches by the acting heads far less pompous than the one the previous year. They seemed to me to be celebrating the children's achievements. My impression the previous year was of the head boasting about how great HER school was. The results at the school are good but academic results are not the be-all and end-all of school or at least they should not be. The reputation of the school has nose dived in the past few years and many students lack respect for the management. I am very worried about what will happen in the future as the last time I saw similar was at a school in the UK. For a while everything carried on with good results then the sporting achievements went down followed by exam results. I don't want to see this happen to my children's school.

That said I think the whole thing has been handled abysmally. As parents we have still not had any official notification about what is going on, our information comes from rumor and the newspapers. The school website was no help either. The department of education and the school management need to get it sorted fast. Our children do not have a second chance at school. I am fed up being told how wonderful CHRS is when there is patently something amiss. The kids and teachers cannot achieve their potential or do their best in this situation.

BTW Angelo I really did join because I wanted to have my say on this topic and will not pretend otherwise.

So did I. I just think fair is fair, and the Head has made enemies in the DOE and they are out to get her. She doesn't take prisoners when confronted by fools, and the fools have been digging away for a year trying to find something. Smacks of character assassination to me. I shouldn't think the IOM can afford the huge payoff required to force her resignation. I hope she digs in and uses her top barrister. Then maybe the DOE (Minister and Director) will have to say what they mean (in Court) for once ! I too think it's a disgrace the way the parents have been told nothing. At prize day the Platform Party were terrified someone would shout abuse, but the parents just sat, patiently waiting for someone to mention the elephant in the room, and no one did. So everyone just left, still as puzzled as before. God bless the kids ! And will someone kick our fearless investigative journalists up the rear !

I think prize night would have been a dreadful time to mention it. As parents we were there to support our kids and celebrate their achievements. The music was great and the focus was on the kids.

As far as Mrs T not suffering fools and not taking prisoners my impression of her was that she considered anyone who disagreed with her a fool and saw herself above everyone else. Anyone who could not see that her way was the right way was either being deliberately awkward or stupid. To my mind a successful manager has to make people feel valued and want to follow them. Good managers may not always be liked but are respected. Looking at the school from the outside this does not seem to have been the case.

As for hugh payoffs and expensive barristers I wish she would swallow her pride and accept that she was not the right person for the job so what is left of my kids schooling is not further disrupted.

Archived