Gang Of Lads From The Island

badlad

I thought they had security staff on the ferries these days?

It's not unusual for a crowd of rowdy yobs to be pissing it up in the bar and nothing seems to ever be said to them by the crew. Perhaps if someone complained or a few passengers took it upon themselves to shut them up?

The one time I have seen a security person on the seacat he hid at the front of the boat when it got rowdy, only returning when the boat arrived at Douglas and police had boarded.

And that was only when people were being a bit noisy in the bar. God knows where he would have hid when people were running riot

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course customer services will tactfully downplay it - first line of defence - it's easier to ignore - especially as they aren't likely to lose business.

It's nothing to do with the number of complaints or when they are made - it is to do with them managing the bar and consumption of alcohol on their premises in a proper manner as per licensing regulations.

It's not unusual for a crowd of rowdy yobs to be pissing it up in the bar and nothing seems to ever be said to them by the crew. Perhaps if someone complained or a few passengers took it upon themselves to shut them up?

It might also assist SPC take more notice of this if it was suggested to them that a complaint might be taken up with UK and IoM licensing authorities - i.e. that they might lose the bar and all the money this brings in - and/or possibly face fines. Profit and loss is a great motivator for companies - even SPC ;) .

It might also assist SPC take more notice of this if it was suggested to them that a complaint might be taken up with UK and IoM licensing authorities - i.e. that they might lose the bar and all the money this brings in - and/or possibly face fines. Profit and loss is a great motivator for companies - even SPC ;) .

In case you haven't noticed the Bars are only open in International waters. (12 miles from either shore). They are not covered by any licensing authority. ;)

That said, there is no excuse for that sort of behaviour. Although I would imagine the staff have a delicate balancing act due to the confined nature of a ship. Not exactly as easy as ejecting someone onto the pavement, with full police support available.

You should complain. I know of many who have been refused from sailings due to excessive alcohol, and others banned from future services.

Now this explains why, when he was looking in the boot of my car at Heysham the other day, the 'Security' man made a big thing of telling me that I must leave the case of wine in the car - and 'you're not allowed to bring knives up either' he added (sadly I had none to disobey the rules with). Until that moment I thought I was a typical late middle aged family man but now I have been made to realise that I am a potential hooligan.

Perhaps Joss's complaint has been noted and they are profiling grumpy old men as the most likely to riot on board? Maybe they don't feel confident in dealing with anyone under 60?

No one bothering to mention that this was probably the 'football special' that's being talked about?

There was so much aggro at the sea terminal that I started picking up people who'd walked away from it. It often happens when Liverpool or Man U are playing home matches.

What's the remedy? As manxman8180 says, in international waters the bars are not covered by any licensing authority, so there seems to be no power to control a ferry operator who allows disorderly behaviour in what would otherwise be licensed premises.

One answer might be for Tynwald to follow the example of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. Clicky S.128 of this Act gives power to prohibit sale of alcohol on ferries. Basically this section of the Act says:

A sheriff may, if satisfied that is it necessary to do so to prevent disorder, make an order prohibiting the sale of alcohol on any ferry journey to or from the sheriff's jurisdiction. A person who breaches such an order commits an offence and can be fined up to £20,000 and/or jailed for up to 3 months.

Such an order could be made for specific journeys - e.g. 'football specials', and could also be used as resort if the operator does not manage the bar in a responsible manner to prevent disorder - so encouraging them to use responsibly or lose it. The legislation could also be worded so that a court could impose conditions or limitations on the sale of alcohol which the operator would have to comply with.

If SPC choose not to act responsibly by controlling disorderly behaviour, then maybe a bit of legislation along these lines might be called for.

Any suggestions for better ways of dealing with this problem, or views for or against introducing such a measure?

They can close the bar, I was on a crossing where a couple of stag parties were going back to the uk and were being twats, about an hour in and after lots of complaints they shut the bar and most of the staff were walking around taking orders for those of us that were sat down away from the kerfuful.

The rowdy bunch kicked off at first but after being told the coppers were boarding before anyone got off they soon piped down. No coppers came on board and the twats left the ship like little lambs.

Archived