[BBC News] Island gets emergency expertise

Newsbot

That's another thing that gets me - everyone wears hi-viz stuff these days. Workers in a thousand different jobs, cyclists, whole school classes that dare to leave the safe bunker compound to see the real world. I thought this stuff is designed to stand out? With so much hi-viz around, it doesn't anymore and fails its purpose. Now you notice the people without....

That's another thing that gets me - everyone wears hi-viz stuff these days. Workers in a thousand different jobs, cyclists, whole school classes that dare to leave the safe bunker compound to see the real world. I thought this stuff is designed to stand out? With so much hi-viz around, it doesn't anymore and fails its purpose. Now you notice the people without....

There's a hi-viz vest on permanent display inside the unfinished Villa Marina arcade. It may be there for many years to come.

Minister for Home Affairs Adrian Earnshaw MHK said: "It is vital that the Isle of Man is equipped to plan and co-ordinate a response in the event of a major incident occurring.

"It could potentially take some time for outside help to arrive so we have a responsibility to ensure that local knowledge is as up to date as it possibly can be."

"major incident", "some time for outside help to arrive" ... Sellafield? Isn't that the key threat - more so than a tsunami or terrorist attack? It could mean everyone would get to have high-viz glow-in-the-dark clothing for many years to come.

BTW, if there was a level 7 nuclear 'event', what would the response be? Evacuating 80,000 people from the island would be no small feat. This statement sounds like being equipped to be able to evacuate 'key personnel' so they can plan and co-ordinate a response (?) (meanwhile perhaps setting up a telephone helpline and having radio announcements advising everyone else to hide under their kitchen tables and stay tuned).

It should be as important to ensure that every possible measure is taken to ensure a major incident does not occur - and that the very highest safety threshold is not compromised to an 'acceptable level of risk' by some commercial risk-cost-benefit analysis used to justify cutting corners.

Albert Tatlock, you young man are ace! Let them have their Hi-viz jackets, make them feel important :) bunch of pathetic lilly livered land lubbers, my great grandfather was a bread delivery man, his van got stuck in the snow in Santon so he walked back to Douglas in the blizzard, my great gran had to steam the buttons on his over coat to get it off, the world is gone mad.

Evacuating 80,000 people from the island would be no small feat.

/....wonders......

How many people could you actually get on the Ben if we needed to. Forget laws and all that, the god damn Germans are coming (sorry Amadeus) for us and we need to evacuate. How many could you squeeze on? In every bit of deck / cabin space?

Anyone hazard a guess?

40,000 maybe.......

....gets back to work.....\

There are all sorts of scenarios where the need for emergency comms might arise.

Flooding in the UK over the past few years have demonstrated the need for backup / resilient comms, after many of the local cellphone base stations had failed because of flooding / UPS's running flat.

We're unlikely to suffer a Tsunami here, but there's no harm in having communication measures in place if we do have some sort of natural / man made emergency.

Mobile phones & Tetra don't cover all of the Island (imagine they're both useless near Eary Cushlin) - so any needs for emergency services in areas like this would probably have to rely on coastguard, or similiar VHF type equipment.

Can't see anything wrong in having measures in place, just in case the need arises.

Evacuating 80,000 people from the island would be no small feat.

/....wonders......

How many people could you actually get on the Ben if we needed to. Forget laws and all that, the god damn Germans are coming (sorry Amadeus) for us and we need to evacuate. How many could you squeeze on? In every bit of deck / cabin space?

Anyone hazard a guess?

Just the kind of thing that should be looked at - but also how to get people there in the first place - children, old people, people from hospitals, road transport, civil defence measures. What are the emergency powers to allow requisitioning ships (and also boats in marinas)? How to manage people who might fight to get a place or grab a motor launch - how to deal with panic and possible breakdown of law and order. Where would the evacuees be taken (hopefully people aren't just expected to book a seat on an indefinitely delayed SPC service to Heysham). Water, food, toilets, people throwing up...

How much warning would there be? 2 hrs? Would the warning actually be timely or would the mgmt at Sellafield sit on it - perhaps afraid it might cause panic. How would people be notified - do you know what to do when the siren sounds? Does MT have facilities to automatically dial every number and give message? What is chain of command and who has authority to push panic button (Governor, CM, Comin?). Does everyone have iodine tablets, face masks, know to put on basic protective clothing that can be hosed down?

Having civil defence drills makes a lot of sense - at least so people know what to do in event of an emergency - like earthquake drills - doing this doesn't make a disaster more likely - it just means that if the worst happens, which hopefully won't, then best prepared to deal with it with minimum casualties. Planning and coordinating a response after the event is less effective than doing so in anticipation of possible threats - New Orleans is just one reminder of that.

I could imagine it could take half a day just to start making some of these decisions - asking questions about authority to requisition ships, calls to Whitehall, discussions of constitutional powers etc. whether or not a state of emergency exists and whether or not an evacuation is warranted - and who should decide that. The evacuation of 50,000 from Prypiat completed 60 hours after the Chernobyl accident would seem like a walk in the park by comparison. However with preparation and everyone knowing what to do, 8 hour evacuation or less might be possible - with any harmful effects minimised immensely.

It's actually not so scary if there were proper measures and people knew what they might expect and what to do for their own safety - just like being in a tsunami danger zone. It could be a hell of a lot more dangerous living in an earthquake zone or near an active volcano.

The Government and most people who need comms have Sat phones, there is no need for a perminent VHF system as all you would need are a couple of stations and a mast (pretty sure the civil defence have some vhf sets, I serviced a load for the cadets a while back and they were saying that the civil defence uses them.)

As for evacuating the Island, you lot go and leave me to carry out some looting, I will start with the nearest mr wippy machine.

Archived