[BBC News] Manx court results on new website

Newsbot

Picked a case at random to test it out and came up with this:

http://www.judgments.im/content/J400.htm

You couldn't make it up...

[Edited. The next random pick was rather less packed full of wholesome natural justice:

http://www.judgments.im/content/CLA1999_69...%2019_10_00.pdf

Whatever happened to 'live by the sword, die by the sword'?]

Be good if all IoM legislation currently in force was also online - not just Acts of Tynwald since Jan 2001. (i.e. everything before then, and also all the Acts of Parliament and Orders in Council which apply to IoM). Anyone know if there are any plans for that?

I think it is, but it may be a subscription service. The service that we use is pretty user-unfriendly.

Odd thing about the IOM is that it is a common law jurisdiction, but there is no formal law reporting. I was told that trainee advocates had to do their own primary research, which all seems a bit archaic in this day and age, getting hold of and updating their predecessors' original works. Hopefully, this will go some way in redressing that.

Be good if all IoM legislation currently in force was also online - not just Acts of Tynwald since Jan 2001. (i.e. everything before then, and also all the Acts of Parliament and Orders in Council which apply to IoM). Anyone know if there are any plans for that?

I think it is, but it may be a subscription service. The service that we use is pretty user-unfriendly.

Shame IoM doesn't offer the kind of kind of accessibility offered by the Jersey Legal Information Board (JLIB). It's interesting they recognise that part of their strategy is "To strengthen Jersey's position as a leading business centre." - something that perhaps not given enough attention to by DTI and in eGovernment strategy.

Archived