[BBC News] Digital switchover dates released

Newsbot

*hastily sets up rouge aerial installer business*

There's some serious mis-selling going on surrounding this switchover from local shops.

Not just local. It is an opportunity for crooks to make easy money and lots of it

I imagine there will be several stories on the likes of Watchdog/Rouge Traders and the like over the coming year or 2

*hastily sets up rouge aerial installer business*

There's some serious mis-selling going on surrounding this switchover from local shops.

Absolutely. Please don't let anyone convince you you need a new TV to watch digital.

How many people have been conned into buying new TVs with digi tuners built in which they can't even use yet? These people have no way of checking if the set they have bought will work as they expect until the switchover date, and I guess a lot of them are in for a shock. They might either find they need additional work on their aerial, or that they don't get a freeview signal at all, or more likey just that the cheap TV they bought with a nasty cheap freeview tuner built in gives a worse picture that they had before.

Hmm the radio has just stated that we will get 20 odd channels and there was me thinking freeview had 40 odd. Does this mean we ain't getting the full deal?

what do you expect man, It's the Isle of Mann the home of the white Elephant,

Hmm the radio has just stated that we will get 20 odd channels and there was me thinking freeview had 40 odd. Does this mean we ain't getting the full deal?

what do you expect man, It's the Isle of Mann the home of the white Elephant,

It is because the transition has to be phased. The full switch to digitial cannot take place everywhere until the band is clear of the old analog transmissions. Otherwise there would be interference between the different signals from different areas (you know how - even if it isn't good enough to watch - you can often pick up signals from outside your region). Some people who get their signals from the UK or the north of Ireland are already getting all the channels.

Or get a dish a cheap free to air satellite receiver off the internet.

Absolutely. Please don't let anyone convince you you need a new TV to watch digital.

Along the same lines, most people probably won't need a new antenna, but those who just call up the installers to ask will be told they need a new "digital aerial".

We've got digital back home in Scotland and its p1sh. Not a strong enough signal to get a constant picture. At least with analogue if you don't get a perfect signal it is still watchable. With digital the picture just breaks up and distorts. And the sound jumps on and off.

Thank god for Sky :D Why not just get the free package from sky, then you get loads more channels and a more consistent quality picture

It is because the transition has to be phased. The full switch to digitial cannot take place everywhere until the band is clear of the old analog transmissions. Otherwise there would be interference between the different signals from different areas (you know how - even if it isn't good enough to watch - you can often pick up signals from outside your region). Some people who get their signals from the UK or the north of Ireland are already getting all the channels.

It's only phased over 30 days. BBC 2 goes off first, then you get:

Digital: BBC One, BBC Two, Five, BBC Three, CBBC, BBC News

Then the rest of analog goes off a month later, and you get:

Digital: ITV1, Channel 4, ITV2, BBC Four, ITV3, Channel 4+1, More4, E4, ITV4, Cbeebies, BBC Parliament plus a bunch of interactive stuff and radio channels.

Or get a dish a cheap free to air satellite receiver off the internet.

By far the best plan for the island, BBC's freesat will have BBC and ITV in HD soon and has more channels. And yes, normally respected and trusted local TV shops are ripping off the uninformed, selling them tv's they don't need and promising a range of channels that won't be on their transmitter.

It's only phased over 30 days. BBC 2 goes off first, then you get:

AFAIK - the people who don't get all the channels, will get all the channels ultimately.

The phased switch over will also have to take into account neighboring regions - and in some cases regions which border the neighboring regions. So what happens here will potentially effect, for example, some obscure place in Wales or Northumbria etc

More than one phase. It isn't just about switching off the local stuff.

^ I'm prepared to be wrong about that but I don't believe I am.

Along the same lines, most people probably won't need a new antenna, but those who just call up the installers to ask will be told they need a new "digital aerial".

I'm the Islands only supplier of digital coax, and internet mouse mats.

Archived