[BBC News] Minister offers Council new home

Newsbot

A council to promote good relations between island communities is offered a home on the Isle of Man.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7646366.stm

Quote'

'Highest level'

The Chief Minister and DHSS Minister Eddie Teare MHK represented the island at the summit, the 11th since the BIC was established.

"The summit was constructive and informative, and it was particularly helpful to get the perspectives of the other countries on the world financial situation", said Chief Minister Tony Brown MHK.

Speaking about the benefits of being a member of the council, he added: "It provides us with information on issues that have potential implications for the island, and it is a forum in which the Isle of Man is recognised at the highest level as one of the nations of the British Isles."

end quote'

So now that the summit was deemed to be constructive and informative, could you therefore let the general public see all the findings, to show the tax payer how important this is?

I've got a feeling that I might be waiting a long time :huh:

Minister offers Council new Home. The Isle of Man could be the permanent home for the British-Irish Council (BIC) secretariat, according to the island's Chief Minister Tony Brown MHK.

You might be forgiven for thinking it's a deal in the pipeline thanks to the Chief Minister's initiative (aside from any issue of CM taking it upon himself to make this offer without approval by Tynwald). If look more carefully,it would be a lot more accurate (though less exciting) if the heading read:

British-Irish Council are considering a permanent home for its secretariat. Isle of Man is among members who have expressed an interest in hosting this.

I guess the story might be good PR for Tony Brown, but it's a bit sad to be trumpeting that as an achievement.

Speaking about the benefits of being a member of the council, he added: "It provides us with information on issues that have potential implications for the island, and it is a forum in which the Isle of Man is recognised at the highest level as one of the nations of the British Isles."

Is that the only benefit the CM sees in membership of BIC? - being provided with information. I guess this includes being told what will happen with CTA rather than representing Manx interests and looking to have a say in matters at this 'summit'. Does this reflect on IoM's status within BIC, or on the CM?

The other benefit is that it is" a forum in which the Isle of Man is recognised at the highest level as one of the nations of the British Isles". Oh dear - is it only at the BIC that IoM is recognised as one of the nations of the British Isles? If recognition of this by 'people at the highest level' is dependent on IoM's membership of BIC, then it's a bit of an admission of failure in representing IoM (to say nothing of the lack of basic knowledge about IoM by these 'people at the highest level').

Is the CM wanting to suggest that it is a forum in which IoM participates as an equal among the nations of the British Isles? Well it isn't and doesn't, hence perhaps this silly wording which maybe suggests that but doesn't actually say it.

I understand that Rockall is the preferred location to appropriately reflect the importance of the Council.

Rockall_EEZ.jpg

Archived