Changes To Health Agreement With Uk

Joe Public

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My family have always enjoyed our stays on the IOM but I am afraid because of mounting costs will not be returning. I am afraid this has put the final nail in the coffin.

and your point is ??

Easy for anyone with the IQ of an average houseplant to understand.

My family have always enjoyed our stays on the IOM but I am afraid because of mounting costs will not be returning. I am afraid this has put the final nail in the coffin.

and your point is ??

Easy for anyone with the IQ of an average houseplant to understand.

I thought we were out to attract high net worth residents and visitors not people too skint to pay £15 for travel cover? Sorry, for my misunderstanding.

I thought we were out to attract high net worth residents and visitors not people too skint to pay £15 for travel cover? Sorry, for my misunderstanding.

Tourists, bums on seats and all that DTL garbologism.

Tourists, bums on seats and all that DTL garbologism.

The original post says it all "People from across see the IOM as part of the UK " yes but it isn't. What people are saying is that we don't want to pay any tax but we'd like all the basic benefits of living in the UK for us and for our family even if they don't live here or pay tax here. Sorry but someone has to pay for it.

What people are saying is that we don't want to pay any tax but we'd like all the basic benefits of living in the UK for us and for our family even if they don't live here or pay tax here. Sorry but someone has to pay for it.

I thought it came out of NI contributions not tax? Aren't NI contributions the same here as across?

Eddie Teare about to be on 'Talking heads' explaining 'what it all means'.

Main points covered:

• Final version of proposal came in Thursday. Health agreement will be terminated.
  • General review of crown deps and offshore jurisdictions and reciprocal health agreements - IOM to be on same footing as any external european union body e.g. same health rights as U.S. citizens. Your A@E costs in the UK are still covered, but inpatient costs after that not covered - and 'meter starts to run'.
  • Won't affect elective surgery (Manx doctor sending you to the UK), changes are in post emergency treatment.
  • External residents already charged here, Australia, U.S. etc.
  • Estimated net additional cost to the island - best case case nothing at all - worst case £2M uninsured people.
  • Motorsport are already insured via ACU etc. UK non-motorsport participants not covered - will require insurance e.g. UK TT visitors will get cover for A&E, but if admitted they will have to pay.
  • Could add a passport stamp, saying we are entitled to care and Manx would pay for it? But why should taxpayer subsidise Manx travellers?
  • Students seem to be covered - initial thoughts they are resident in UK and covered. Anyone retiring here is covered as soon as they are deemed resident (living here) i.e. no 5 year wait etc. It doesn't matter if you have paid into the UK system in the past, it's based on where you live now.
  • Check your house/car insurance as you may already be covered. Some people might not get cover for pre-existing medical conditions, so could be stuffed if they need to go to UK.

Does anyone know how are the existing charges applied to say a US citizen on Island that receives post A&E treatment?

Do you have to show ID or proof of address on admission? Ok, the accent maybe a slight giveaway but for a UK resident visiting the Island and vice versa how do you determine if they are entitled to post A&E treatment without some form of official documentation?

Even ‘official’ ID (passport or driving license) gives no indication of residency, there’s no requirement to register with a local GP and the old NI number doesn’t exactly trip off the tongue.

In other words what is to stop me breaking my leg in the UK and giving my address as 2 Royston Vasey, Milton Keynes and receiving two weeks of post A&E all expenses paid leg breaking treatment?

Some people might not get cover for pre-existing medical conditions
Quite Albert .

What good is it saying "hey what's the problem? we're insured?" when in reality (remember real life in the real world?) you are now dealing with a faceless suit in an office who really doesn't give a shit whether you live or die. His insurance company's mandate will be to make as much money as possible and that may well mean refusing your claim if they can (and they will) find any excuse.

I had a look at my holiday insurance this morning and note that I have to tell them before each trip if I have received medical advice or treatment in the last three months. That means everything like going to the doctor with a bad back etc. They can and most likely will load you for any pre-existing condition and god help you if you've got heart trouble, diabetes, or even high blood pressure. They can just on a whim say "no you're not insured" or impose special terms. If you say bollox then I'm going elsewhere, you will have to now declare that you have has cover refused/special terms imposed. If you don't and they find out (they will!) your claim will be worthless.

I usually have a look at MF for a good laugh and post accordingly but this subject fills me with doom and gloom. In reality it is the single biggest problem I will now have living here (yup, I have a pre-existing condition....) The thought of even tripping up in the street as I shop in Liverpool could now be a very costly (or worse) experience. FFS don't think this a minor problem, its not. Remember now that if you are a Romanian in the UK you will be treated without fuss, if you are from the IOM you won't. Hey, don't worry though you've got that fantastic insurance, or have you?

Life's good here and I like it but this is a very serious problem indeed.

Its just another way of ripping off the hard working citizen. Yet both governments will just throw money at lazy work shy layabouts.

The workers pay their NI and taxes, where as your average "I would rather watch Jeremy Kyle than get a job" gets their NHS dental care free of charge.

I called my UK health insurance company today and queried the situation with them. The girl at the end of the telephone has Isle of Man contacts and understood the situation immediately. Essentially, with private health insurance you would be covered, post A&E, for a transfer to a private hospital - assuming you were fit to travel and fit to give consent. That's the tricky bit. If you can't be moved you will have to pay.

The insurance company agreed that it was a nasty move by the UK. However, it's an opportunity for them to provide a new product for Crown Dependency residents on, hopefully, sympathetic terms.

It's the political side of this that intrigues me the most. Why be so tough on the Crown Dependencies over this matter? There is a bigger game being played. What is it? ID Cards? e-Borders? Push for EU membership?

Why be so tough on the Crown Dependencies over this matter?

Simple - a bean counter realised that he can save a few million a year even though it places UK residents at a disadvantage as well.

IOM residents were getting something for nothing, now they get what they pay (paid) for.

Basic financial control.

Archived