Changes To Health Agreement With Uk

Joe Public

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the political side of this that intrigues me the most. Why be so tough on the Crown Dependencies over this matter? There is a bigger game being played. What is it? ID Cards? e-Borders? Push for EU membership?

Don't think so - the UK are ending all reciprocal agreements, not just those with Crown Dependencies. EU membership is not on the cards. However perhaps IoM could enter into reciprocal agreement with EU.

IOM residents were getting something for nothing, now they get what they pay (paid) for.

Not exactly - it was reciprocal agreement - IoM residents paid for UK visitors also 'getting something for nothing'.

It might be an idea to consider a national travel insurance scheme of some kind. Also perhaps could apply this to inbound visitors - e.g. a £4 surcharge on tickets for medical cover. However a reciprocal agreement with EU might work out to be best - perhaps even better than the current one with UK.

I suspect UK is drawing back from various reciprocal agreements in order to achieve greater harmonisation with EU. To some extent in some ways it's time to start thinking in terms of relationship with EU rather than with UK.

I suspect UK is drawing back from various reciprocal agreements in order to achieve greater harmonisation with EU. To some extent in some ways it's time to start thinking in terms of relationship with EU rather than with UK.

Ditch the UK and sterling & join the EU and use euros - that's what I would do.

Please don't ask why I'm in Switzerland - accident mainly.

Ditch the UK and sterling & join the EU and use euros - that's what I would do.

Why do you assume joining the EU is an option? IoM is not even eligible for membership unless it becomes a sovereign state. First then have to address how IoM could achieve independence - not nearly as easy or straightforward as you might think. It all hinges on the constitutional relationship - and that's as clear as mud, and IoM is stuck in the mud until that gets cleared up.

However I don't see any reason not to enter into various bilateral agreements with EU which would afford similar mutual advantages.

Does anyone know how are the existing charges applied to say a US citizen on Island that receives post A&E treatment?

Do you have to show ID or proof of address on admission? Ok, the accent maybe a slight giveaway but for a UK resident visiting the Island and vice versa how do you determine if they are entitled to post A&E treatment without some form of official documentation?

Even ‘official’ ID (passport or driving license) gives no indication of residency, there’s no requirement to register with a local GP and the old NI number doesn’t exactly trip off the tongue.

In other words what is to stop me breaking my leg in the UK and giving my address as 2 Royston Vasey, Milton Keynes and receiving two weeks of post A&E all expenses paid leg breaking treatment?

I think that a poster has touched on this previously.

Try not to relate this change too much to Emergency treatment that is provided as a result of an accident. It is clear that anyone who needs it will get Emergency treatment. So if you break your leg, you'll get the basic treatment and go off happy with your leg in plaster.

However, you won't be able to blag yourself in for the vasectomy your wife is insisting on, or to have the cartilage removed from your knee etc. And you also won't get any of the post op care for your broken leg, such as pot checks, further x-rays, physio etc.

More importantly, you wont get help with repatriation. So, if you need a special flight, or need to take up 6 rows of an aircraft cos your leg is plastered at 90 degrees to your body - get your credit card out.

The more I think about it, the more I think it may be blown out of all proportion. They ain't going to kick you out of a UK A&E department unless your reasonably fit and mobile. And if you are such, you should have no problem getting back to the rock.

That's me saving a tenner on every trip. Woohoo.

IOM residents were getting something for nothing, now they get what they pay (paid) for.

I don't believe that is the case - as I understood it we got £2m from the UK each year to provide cover for UK people who had accidents here, and we paid £6m to the NHS for the treatment of manx people in the UK. That's not something for nothing on either side.

The UK are now saving £2m the a year that we are going to have to pay to cover the emergency treatment of UK residents injured here. With a health services budget of £110m a year its less than a 2% increase so it can't be that bad to cover it - they probably spend more than £2m on bog rolls and plasters a year!

I don't believe that is the case - as I understood it we got £2m from the UK each year to provide cover for UK people who had accidents here, and we paid £6m to the NHS for the treatment of manx people in the UK. That's not something for nothing on either side.

So the UK made a net profit of £4m from the agreement (before medical expenses were taken into account) and they are cancelling the agreement to save money...? Eh?

It sounds like this is just more pressure on the island because the UK don't like the Manx tax regime.

So the UK made a net profit of £4m from the agreement (before medical expenses were taken into account) and they are cancelling the agreement to save money...? Eh?

No. The £6 million and the £2 million relate to entirely different things.

The £6 million is for elective surgery, testing and cancer treatments that we pay the UK NHS to conduct, rather than setting up facilities to do the same things here. That arrangement is ongoing and has nothing to do with the reciprocal health agreement.

Under the reciprocal health agreement, the UK Government paid £2 million into our NHS to cover the cost of post-emergency medical treatment for visitors from the UK, and also provided post-emergency medical treatment for Isle of Man visitors to their country. That is ending from 2010. On the one hand, it means that we no longer get free treatment in the UK (apart from in A&E), so will require travel insurance. On the other, we will now start billing UK visitors and their insurance companies for their care, as we no longer get the £2 million.

Archived