Changes To Health Agreement With Uk

Joe Public

It sounds like this is just more pressure on the island because the UK don't like the Manx tax regime.

No they just don't like the dependency aspect of being a Crown Dependency. It should push us into Europe and the EU, I don't think it makes sense to be outside the EU now.

Jimcalagon - It's not about not liking Manx tax regimes or dependencies - they are withdrawing from all reciprocal agreements worldwide, including for example with NZ. The decision does not revolve around IoM.

thesultanofsheight - in what sense would they not like the dependency of being a Crown Dependency? Is it so awful having to collect all that money when the IoM pays its voluntary contribution to the UK?

What makes you think joining the EU is even possible? Does Tony Brown issue a unilateral declaration of independence and the nations of the world instantly recognise IoM as a nation state, after which IoM is invited to join the UN and EU? If IoM could attain independence that easily, why do you suppose this hasn't already happened?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect this has been blown out of all proportion. The elective treatment arrangement, which is paid for by IOMG, will remain. Emergency treatment until you are able to be repatriated, will remain, although you would be advised to have insurance to cover admission if the UK decide to charge you and your costs of medevac. What will not be covered is non-emergency, non-referred treatment, which must be quite exceptional.

I suspect this has been blown out of all proportion. The elective treatment arrangement, which is paid for by IOMG, will remain. Emergency treatment until you are able to be repatriated, will remain, although you would be advised to have insurance to cover admission if the UK decide to charge you and your costs of medevac. What will not be covered is non-emergency, non-referred treatment, which must be quite exceptional.

I wish I agreed with you. However, as I previously posted, I discussed the situation with my health insurer in the UK.

They cited two problems for Manx residents needing unexpected treatment accross:

1. Any post A&E treatment is not covered for. I.e. if you are involved in a car smash then they will, initially, set your bones and stitch you up. However, if you need six weeks in hospital then a stretcher back to the Isle of Man the UK would not pay for that.

2. Pre existing conditions. We have a family member who on medication for a stroke. The policy will have to be loaded to reflect the possibility that he/she falls ill in the Isle of Man and needs a long stay in Nobles.

So, by default, you will need insurance for a trip to the UK when they formally end the agreement. The only question is how much it will cost and whether everybody will be able to afford it.

Without wanting to diminish the impact of that, just how bad will it be? Travel insurance to include the US is hardly a king's ransom. No doubt some local brokers will arrange a deal with an insurer that will provide the cover needed. It just seems that everyone is jumping up and down as though we have lost all healthcare.

We like to reiterate our separateness from the UK, but when that separateness actually involves a degree of standing on our own two feet, we squeal like stuck pigs.

Now, if it was that the referral arrangement was under threat, then we would have something to complain about.

Come on, it is a limited change which can be dealt with by health insurance. For those that travel to the UK regularly an annual policy may be the idea, the cost of which is pretty minimal.

I can think of 20 other things that would get my pulse racing at the moment!

Without wanting to diminish the impact of that, just how bad will it be?

I suppose it depends who you are, how you are, and how wealthy you are.

Billionaire tax exile or salaried professional - no problem.

For a struggling young family with strong links to, say, Liverpool, it might really hurt.

Just one troubling issue pointed out to me by the subscriptions department of my health insurer was elderly folk with pre existing conditions - on eaither side of the water.

We like to reiterate our separateness from the UK, but when that separateness actually involves a degree of standing on our own two feet, we squeal like stuck pigs.

Quite right.

So, by default, you will need insurance for a trip to the UK when they formally end the agreement. The only question is how much it will cost and whether everybody will be able to afford it.

You'd think Manx people never travelled abroad, jeez.

Apart from the EU health scheme which also extends to Norway, Switzerland and Liechenstein, the list of reciprocal agreements of UK on which our reciprocal agreements piggy back is in dissarray with non existent countries or succesor states and does not fit the current market pattern of equivalent treatment to locals but with payment, ie the market.

I still say that the EU would not object to the IOM having a healthcare agreement with the EU if we asked and if the UK government could be bothered taking it up with Brussels on our behalf

There is no computing or record keeping resaon why we shouldn't have health card schem with the UK, and the rest of the EU as the systems are in place for them to bill us whether we bill them or not

In reality it is down to politics and demand

If we make enoufh noise as voters and if our politicians make enough noise we can acheive a new receiprocal care system. The altrrnative is that the IOM Government willl offer an indemnity whereby we keep our UK bills and they will reimburse. Once that is in place the querstion is why not European bills?

Again we need to get into the EU, urgently. Even Iceland is now actively debating and considering it.

I wish I agreed with you. However, as I previously posted, I discussed the situation with my health insurer in the UK.

They cited two problems for Manx residents needing unexpected treatment accross:

1. Any post A&E treatment is not covered for. I.e. if you are involved in a car smash then they will, initially, set your bones and stitch you up. However, if you need six weeks in hospital then a stretcher back to the Isle of Man the UK would not pay for that.

2. Pre existing conditions. We have a family member who on medication for a stroke. The policy will have to be loaded to reflect the possibility that he/she falls ill in the Isle of Man and needs a long stay in Nobles.

From a visitors point of view. many elderly persons visit IOM and travel insurance is extreemly prohibitive, if you have a ore-existing condition. My parents enjoy visiting IOM but would not be able to get insurance because of their health. This will make many visitors think twice before coming to the island.

The policy will have to be loaded to reflect the possibility that he/she falls ill in the Isle of Man and needs a long stay in Nobles.

I've already met this - a friend had a heart bypass some 15 years ago + lived an active full life - we then found any sensible insurance for travel outside Europe was very expensive, Europe being covered by recipricol agreements for a UK resident was much cheaper - if the Island is now treated as non-Europe for people in similar situations then costs of well over £10/day would be expected.

Archived