Port Erin Woman's View On 16 Year Olds In Pubs...

cassettiespagetie

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Margery White of Port Erin wrote into today's paper to say -

' Who's for a party in pub ?

OF course let the 16-year-olds drink in pubs - and let them take their drugs and knives in with them for a big party.

Margery White,

1 Rearyt Y Chrink,

Port Erin,

IM9 6BE. '

Yeah... OK, me, my friends and other 16 year olds on the Isle Of Man carry drugs and knives and we wants to have a big party in the pub.

What a total and utter fu... Well to put it politely... I dislike/disagree with her.

What do you think ?

If you had spent more time on making sure your grammar was correct, I may have taken your little rant a tad more seriously. As it stands, may i suggest you concentrate on your studies before you cry about the inequity of not being allowed into pubs. You are only 16. In 2 years time, you can spend the rest of your life in a bar, what joy!

Perhaps they should put the polling booths in pubs and then all those entitled to vote can relax with a beer or a bottle of W*kd afterwards? That would be nice, now, wouldn't it?

Lonan3 if you think about it that makes sense as a way to get more to vote

Margery White of Port Erin wrote into today's paper to say -

' Who's for a party in pub ?

OF course let the 16-year-olds drink in pubs - and let them take their drugs and knives in with them for a big party.

Margery White,

1 Rearyt Y Chrink,

Port Erin,

IM9 6BE. '

Yeah... OK, me, my friends and other 16 year olds on the Isle Of Man carry drugs and knives and we wants to have a big party in the pub.

What a total and utter fu... Well to put it politely... I dislike/disagree with her.

What do you think ?

If you had spent more time on making sure your grammar was correct, I may have taken your little rant a tad more seriously. As it stands, may i suggest you concentrate on your studies before you cry about the inequity of not being allowed into pubs. You are only 16. In 2 years time, you can spend the rest of your life in a bar, what joy!

Please point out my mistakes so I can learn from them.

Also I did put my own opinion at the end, but that isn't a rant is it ? I was just copying a little section from the newpaper to see if people on this forum agree with Margery.

I suspect a pub full of Ms Whites might not be bundle of fun either although I am sure she hasn't got a hoodie or a knife or any drugs except for prescription ones

Life is full of sad Daily Mail readers who have to have a lowest common denominator ill educated opinion. It does not stand then in good stead.

I cannot for the life of me think why any one would go into a pub, but if you can marry at 16, drive at 16, vote at 16 and kill for country etc, well....

I have a relatively clever (mostly a's & b's on the reports) sixteen year old daughter and am often horrified by her poor command of the English language, the explaination.....the teacher cannot tell us when we have made a mistake, it would be classed as cheating because we are working towards our GCSE course work. Its a great shame, Im no Shakespear but I tend to know when to use their, there and they're, its a great pity for the students and teachers alike. How important is it though? 'Word' checks my spelling & grammar and Excel checks my adding up, maybe this is why they dont concentrate on the little things anymore.

As for the woman from Port Erin, heehee, that is the kind of outrageous thing I would say 'tongue in cheek'. I dont think anyone believes that 16 year olds are that bad and if they do, they need to stop taking so much notice of the Daily Mail/Express :) If 16 year old want to go to the pub, thats fine by me, I haven't been to the pub since 1924 and I dont think I'll be rushing off there again any time soon.

My dear, I meant 1924 the year, not the time, heavens above man! Anyone would think I was a drinker.

John Wright and TheBees thinking similar thoughts at the same time, its a sign!! (that neither of us think much of Daily Mail readers, I hadnt read Johns post before I made mine and we both mention the paper, which is why I chose to mention it)

Life is full of sad Daily Mail readers who have to have a lowest common denominator ill educated opinion. It does not stand then in good stead.

I cannot for the life of me think why any one would go into a pub, but if you can marry at 16, drive at 16, vote at 16 and kill for country etc, well....

Reasonable point.

I still don't get the vehement Anti-Daily Mail obsession on this forum. I don't read it as I don't buy newspapers in general, but why is it so trendy for everyone to slag off the Mail especially on here? Sorry to be a dumbass.

Some pubs are nice, with a quiet & relaxing atmosphere where you can enjoy a pint in peace. I rarely do, purely because trying to organise it when a couple of pals can do at the same time is easier said than done, there's always work to be done. And there's nowhere I can relax more really than in my own armchair.

I have a relatively clever (mostly a's & b's on the reports) sixteen year old daughter and am often horrified by her poor command of the English language, the explaination.....the teacher cannot tell us when we have made a mistake, it would be classed as cheating because we are working towards our GCSE course work. Its a great shame, Im no Shakespear but I tend to know when to use their, there and they're, its a great pity for the students and teachers alike.

Is that true? Crazy! Interesting point you make asking how important it all is though. My first thought is 'very' but when I think about it I'm not sure exactly why.

My spelling and grammar are by no means perfect but I try to generally get it right, and whilst I know there's plenty more important things to worry about & it might be a bit petty, it bugs me when people make no effort with it. I don't even really know why.

Fine for text messages maybe but...

Sod it - I'm just slightly old fashioned I suppose and it could just be a case of not liking change. :rolleyes:

Is there to be no haven from kids anymore?

I thought the Haven was mainly for kids! :ph34r:

Is that true? Crazy!

Yes. I often have a look at her work, make sure she is as ace as she tells me she is, you know :) We discussed the problems she was having with English and that is what she said. I have always had concerns about her English but she is up to her GCSEs now, bit late to be learning what I would class as 'the basics'

Archived