Iceland - Bankrupt

GD4ELI

And so the panic continues....not helped by 24 hour rolling news "journalism" though....

Jeez guys - if there WEREN'T hacks trying to bring you the breaking news on this and other matters, the media would be pilloried (again) for not doing their job, and the conspiracy theorists would be blaming Government for gagging us! If I had money in KSF (or any other institution 'at risk') I'm bloody sure I'd want a reporter on their doorstep.

The media rarely makes the news - we just report it. Strikes me that the global problems at the moment are beyond anyone to forecast accurately - so you can be a doomsayer or spin merchant with relative impunity.

Having said that, even I was surprised at the US financial expert on network TV who advised every small investor to get their money out of the stock market without delay - but hindsight may prove he was giving 'best advice' when the institutions were appealing for calm.

Interesting how you say "us" in this context. BBC Radio 4 had this story at about 13:15. Reuters had it on their website just after 14:00. What time did Manx Radio have it? It was on this forum before Manx Radio had it, I think.

At 13:30 Manx Radio was reporting a UK story about smacking.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The media rarely makes the news - we just report it. Strikes me that the global problems at the moment are beyond anyone to forecast accurately - so you can be a doomsayer or spin merchant with relative impunity.

The problem is the desperation for 24 hr news to have something to say means they are making the news. On news 24 last night they actually asked someone 'what do you think of what we think the chanceller will announce tomorrow?'. The whole 'GERMANS HAVE GUARANTEED DEPOSITS' screaming was largely the press going apeshit over a mistranslation too. The press needs to report the facts and not potentially make things worse.

Having said that, even I was surprised at the US financial expert on network TV who advised every small investor to get their money out of the stock market without delay - but hindsight may prove he was giving 'best advice' when the institutions were appealing for calm.

Very dangerous advice, how do you know where the bottom is, and do you want to miss the upside? See what the hbos price did today?

These are quite exciting (if not a tad worrying) times.

If you have no assets and are paid by the government they are.

I feel so smug right now, you poor (soon to be) bastards.

What a nice person you must be. Poor souls have lost thousands and you come up with that crap

I blame it all on Kerry Katona. It's bound to be all her fault!

The only one person to blame is Mr Greedy and his high maintainance wife...

According to the old fable, attributed to Mr Aesop, a dog was carrying a big bone as he crossed a bridge. He looked into the water and saw his own reflection. He took this to be another dog and another big bone. He desperately wanted the other bone so he dropped the one he had to scare the “other dog.” Of course there was no other bone and he lost the one he had into the water and ended up with nothing. Such is the nature of human greed.

In the effort to get what we want, we frequently lose what we have. :(

post-12705-1223627158_thumb.jpg

Interesting how you say "us" in this context. BBC Radio 4 had this story at about 13:15. Reuters had it on their website just after 14:00. What time did Manx Radio have it? It was on this forum before Manx Radio had it, I think.

At 13:30 Manx Radio was reporting a UK story about smacking.

I've been following some of the concerned investers forums today - there are some horror stories out there. Sadly many are keying into MR and finding two day old crap and thinking that is the latest news. Its a disgrace that one of the most important events in the IOM has happened this week, this event will change the face of the manx banking industry, and could lead to major job losses and the destruction of the Islands reputation in the financial world. Despite this everyone just seems to have pissed off for the weekend.

There are people out there who have lost their life savings and are desperate for up to date news. What is the top / latest news on MR - "Bus review soon". FFS.

I've been following some of the concerned investers forums today - there are some horror stories out there. Sadly many are keying into MR and finding two day old crap and thinking that is the latest news. Its a total disgrace that one of the most important events in the IOM has happened this week, this event will change the face of the manx banking industry, and could lead to major job losses and the destruction of the Islands reputation in the financial world. Despite this everyone just pisses off for the weekend because its too much hard work to try to keep the wider world updated.

There are people out there who have lost their life savings and are desperate for up to date news. What is the top / latest news on MR - "Bus review soon". FFS.

If I was an KS&F investor I'd probably look in the 'business news' section which leads with the 'Pledge to help KS&F customers' news item which is one day old - not two. Maybe you just suck at the internet. It's not much of story I admit and I'm sure MR could be doing better, but I doubt there is any further news today, should they make some up?

I see they posted the 'Bus review soon' today so they have the staff to do it. What I'm saying is, is there any news they can report? Nothing on IOM Newspapers site either which leads me to believe there isn't any.

Perhaps you should be having a go at IOM Newspapers their IOM Business headlines are:

* STEP conference this month

* CIPD talent management seminar

* New air cargo service between Isle of Man and Liverpool

* Regional secretary of Unite to visit the Isle of Man

* Business as usual at Bradford and Bingley

Fuck all about KS&F in their headlines.

I have been reading it, and it's very upsetting for a lot of people.

What do they want though 24 hour rolling news? If there is nothing to report, there is nothing to report. Maybe some Jeremy Paxman type programmes, but if no one wants to talk?

As for the people on the support group thinking of trying to bring down other IOM Banks by spreading rumour, causing a run on IOM deposits and trying to force the UK government to step in is a bit bad IMO. Why not fuck it up for a lot more people. I sympathise, but FFS. On friday someone piped up in the office 'Get your money out of IOM Bank today I've heard it from a good source' these sort of rumours don't help the situation - jeez.

Both the MR & Newspapers site are never updated over the weekend period. When Beemanx was online, it had news updated both on Saturdays & Sundays too to keep the site fresh. Shame they couldn't with these two sites as it is not difficult to do (it can be done at home) especially when there is important news and people are looking to find out what is going on. Think of the uproar if the BBC news site was left for two days....

Both the MR & Newspapers site are never updated over the weekend period. When Beemanx was online, it had news updated both on Saturdays & Sundays too to keep the site fresh. Shame they couldn't with these two sites as it is not difficult to do (it can be done at home) especially when there is important news and people are looking to find out what is going on. Think of the uproar if the BBC news site was left for two days....

Bullshit.

Look at the time stamps.

...and think of the uproar HERE if MR went to Treasury for additional subvention funding for additional web staff.

...and think of the uproar HERE if MR went to Treasury for additional subvention funding for additional web staff.

Why'd you need webstaff stu? If you can drive a browser to post here, you can post on the Manx Radio site surely?

Archived