Iceland - Bankrupt

GD4ELI

...and think of the uproar HERE if MR went to Treasury for additional subvention funding for additional web staff.

I think MR uses http://dev.ektron.com/

I use DotNetNuke to create websites where it's very easy for others to post. You don't need skill for a DotNetNuke website, FWIW all together my site here cost me < $200 (skin and Flash module). So you can always have a main site like MR has at the moment and just link off to a second site you maintain yourself. Some don't like DotNetNuke becuase it requires a Windows .NET server.

hrd_chrome_001.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and think of the uproar HERE if MR went to Treasury for additional subvention funding for additional web staff.

Why'd you need webstaff stu? If you can drive a browser to post here, you can post on the Manx Radio site surely?

Sorry, I was primarily responding to Titanic with that, because I'm heartily fed up of comparisons with the BBC, which employs legions of webstaff who do nothing other than keep their site up to date.

And the comparison with me posting on here is flawed. I often make typo or grammatical mistakes, which don't really matter in this context. I fly kites and comment on things I see here. Responsible, professional journalism is much more than the ability to open a browser and type.

Hi Stu

You hosted an item on MR, Friday, in which the CM took calls. He was unable to answer any of the obvious questions - in many cases referring callers, instead, to the Regulators.

Was there any reason why you did not get someone representing the Regulators on the telephone to address some of these important public questions - or failing that to go and see them with a microphone and a list of questions ? You and the CM could have telephoned them live on the air.

Sorry, I was primarily responding to Titanic with that, because I'm heartily fed up of comparisons with the BBC, which employs legions of webstaff who do nothing other than keep their site up to date.

And the comparison with me posting on here is flawed. I often make typo or grammatical mistakes, which don't really matter in this context. I fly kites and comment on things I see here. Responsible, professional journalism is much more than the ability to open a browser and type.

OK, but my point was really that you don't need dedicated web people to update a website. MR presumably have journalists working the weekend because they have news bulletins. Why can't those people update the web as part of their job?

OK, but my point was really that you don't need dedicated web people to update a website. MR presumably have journalists working the weekend because they have news bulletins. Why can't those people update the web as part of their job?

Agreed - if somebody can post on here, which I am sure the MR journalist can quite easily, then those same journalist can up date the MR website from home at weekends and evenings if and when necessary. It takes seconds to do, and because it's not rocket science, you don't need expensive webstaff to do that. If you have both journalists, and webstaff working at MR who up date the website, then you have too many staff. A case of unnecessary duplication. Save some tax payers money and get the journalist to update the website. Yes, use the webstaff to fix the website if it goes wrong, but not to edit content. It's just plain old common sense, and any responsible, professional journalist will tell you that. ;)

Yeah, that's how journalism works - hack jumps out of the bath after a long day at work and thinks "I know, I'll circumvent all the policies, editorial controls and safeguards of my employer and think up or steal a story to post on our official website".

I refer honourable members of the forum to my earlier answer - the website IS updated over the weekends, and newsroom journos DO generate and upload the stories, but using an established protocol rather than a willy-nilly approach.

Worth remembering at this juncture maybe that amateurs built the Ark, and 'experts' built the Titanic.

Pongo - I think that's a little unfair - the Chief Minister answered most of the questions and comments, but I made it clear at the start that he'd been invited long before the KSF crash and might not be able to answer the more technical questions. We'd asked for Treasury/Regulator input but the people we needed were either off-island or snowed under firefighting (understandably).

Yeah, that's how journalism works - hack jumps out of the bath after a long day at work and thinks "I know, I'll circumvent all the policies, editorial controls and safeguards of my employer and think up or steal a story to post on our official website".

I specifically mentioned stories that were going out on air over the weekend, which presumably have already been through those controls? For example, there's no sports news on the site today, yet there has been sports news from today on the radio.

I refer honourable members of the forum to my earlier answer - the website IS updated over the weekends, and newsroom journos DO generate and upload the stories, but using an established protocol rather than a willy-nilly approach.

Right, makes your call for extra web chimps a bit out of place then?

Worth remembering at this juncture maybe that amateurs built the Ark, and 'experts' built the Titanic.

Dear, dear Stu

Hehehe - 'Titanic' is just a simple daft stage name, and doesn't reflect anything of my personality, my life or my ethics (and more importantly my size!!). ;)

We are in the same business together, so I do know what I am talking about; we actually worked together for the same local media company several years ago ;)

Slim - I wasn't calling for extra web chimps - I was saying that there'd be trouble at 't mill if it was even mooted, whereas the BBC (to whom we'd been unfairly compared) devotes a huge number of people and large chunks of budget at their website.

Titanic - if you're 'in the business' I'm surprised and disappointed at your posts, your logic and your assumptions. It would be easy for me to use an anonymous account to pillory other broadcasters and media outlets, but I work on the basis that all the media people I've met or worked with here labour bloody hard to provide quality work, often committing themselves to lots of unpaid overtime and operating within much tighter financial constraints than most people on this forum imagine. So I CERTAINLY don't think it's appropriate to snipe at them from the sidelines. However, it's a public forum, so I hope you have fun.

Stu lighten up before you have a heart attack. Calm down man. Yes, we totally understand that MR is not or will ever be the BBC. We are simply asking, why the news on the website is not updated regular especially at weekends, and why the choice of lead stories doesn't reflect what a majority of people are interested in. And at the moment, with the world on the brink of going bust, people are naturally interested on how their money is being protected on the Isle of Man. A review of the bus timetable/routes is not a major lead under the present climate. We are also not asking you to go cap in hand to ask government for more web chimps either.

.... and yes, it's my choice to post under this anonymous account, and yes I am having fun. Are you?

The old t' internet can be very useful for information, but on the flip side, it is not to be taken too seriously either. Lighten up, kick back in your comfy slippers and enjoy.

Social Democratic foreign minister Ingibjorg Solrun Gisladottir wrote in Icelandic daily Morganbladid that in the long term the country must embrace the European Union and replace the krona with the euro.

"In the short term, our defence is co-operation with the International Monetary Fund and in the long term EU membership, adoption of the euro and backup from the European Central Bank,"

http://euobserver.com/24/26920

Social Democratic foreign minister Ingibjorg Solrun Gisladottir wrote in Icelandic daily Morganbladid that in the long term the country must embrace the European Union and replace the krona with the euro.

"In the short term, our defence is co-operation with the International Monetary Fund and in the long term EU membership, adoption of the euro and backup from the European Central Bank,"

http://euobserver.com/24/26920

Pity for them that they didn't adopt that policy a few years ago.

Stable doors and horses.

S

Archived