[BBC News] Heavy rains cause traffic chaos

Newsbot

I was working iin Port Erin this evening and the flooding between Ballafesson and teh roundabout at Ballakillowey was horrendous.

Who would have guessed that is a newly laid road!

Apparently there hasn't been flooding on that road for well over 40 years before it was resurfaced. Still, it looks pretty now - when it is not flooded that is.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I came home and saw a nice lake on the other side of the nice new tarmac.

Mind you, it's not that great now - it was one of the smoothest bits of road on the island after they surfaced it earlier in the year, and now they've dug a strip of it up along most of its length they've ruined that already. Not to mention the 'speedbump' by Ballacurry farm too!

Useless tossers

"At lunchtime a motorist had to be helped to safety after her car became stuck while crossing the Silverburn River ford in Ballasalla, Rushen Abbey. "

I have no sympathy, it had been pouring it down and that ford would have be swollen with water, which is surely visible - more fool her for attempting it, especially in a dinky car like that. Probably trying to save time.

Back to the rain and the headline "Heavy rains cause traffic chaos". Isn't this always the case? I'm amazed at how shit peoples driving gets in the rain over here, it's like a little downpour switches on the 'I'm a fucking idiot driver' switch.

more fool her for attempting it, especially in a dinky car like that. Probably trying to save time.

Back to the rain and the headline "Heavy rains cause traffic chaos". Isn't this always the case? I'm amazed at how shit peoples driving gets in the rain over here, it's like a little downpour switches on the 'I'm a fucking idiot driver' switch.

Helped to safety? Like she couldn't just open the door and walk across with wet legs?! What sort of car was she in? I agree though - "Oh look, there's shitloads of water compared with normal. It looks like it might come up to the window so I wonder if driving through it would be a good plan?".

I thought the switch that comes on is usually the 'I'm going to go just 35mph because the road looks a tad bit damp. Oh, and I'll turn my foglights on too whilst I'm at it....'

Archived