[BBC News] Savings protection limit increase

Newsbot

This is good news for me, I was worried about the safety of that £1.81 I have in my savings account.

Well I'm really worried now having seen Paul Moultons assessment of the credit crunch's potential effects on the Isle of Man on Border TV last night. I wasn't scared at all until I saw his razor sharp insight into how terrible its going to get for the Isle of Man and how awful he thinks its going to be for all of us. Robert Peston he ain't.

Well I'm really worried now having seen Paul Moultons assessment of the credit crunch's potential effects on the Isle of Man on Border TV last night.

That was nothing a certain Manx Radio bod (who I assume is actually paid by the government) appeared a little too gleeful about how bad it was going to get for the Islands finance sector. It was a terrible advert for the IOM. There was even someone who wrote in to Border News tonight saying they had no sympathy for the IOM because it was a tax haven and so was to blame for what is going on. An own goal I think.

There was even someone who wrote in to Border News tonight saying they had no sympathy for the IOM because it was a tax haven and so was to blame for what is going on.

For better or worse (I'm not expressing an opinion - other than), this is how most people outside of the IOM will think, if things were to ever get really bad.

There was even someone who wrote in to Border News tonight saying they had no sympathy for the IOM because it was a tax haven and so was to blame for what is going on.

For better or worse (I'm not expressing an opinion - other than), this is how most people outside of the IOM will think, if things were to ever get really bad.

Raising the Deposit protection limit to £50,000 means absolutely

nothing unless there are compensation funds immediately

available to meet any claims. I suspect that even Bradford & Bingley International would have resulted in claims of about £1 Billion had it not been rescued. How long would that take to pay off being funded only by an annual levy of I think a maximum of £250,000 per licence holder of which I think there are only about 70.

I hate to say it but everyone would be safer placing there money in a US Bank where the accounts are now guaranteed to $250,000 and in the event of a bank failure accounts/funds are normally assumed on the instructions and with the backing of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp with another Bank and are available within a couple of days.

But surely the Isle of Man is . . . . . a tax haven?

The whole collapse in the finance system has been blamed on £money grabbers.

The Isle of Man Government officially fully backs, condones and indeed encourages Athol Street rates of over £300 per hour.

The Isle of Man to blame for what is going on? Partly, yes.

The Isle of Man Government officially fully backs, condones and indeed encourages Athol Street rates of over £300 per hour.

So .. you reckon if someone on Ahtol street decided to be a bit more competitive by lowering their rates, someone will send the boys round?

--------------------

Tech Blog - WordPress Guru - Business Blog

Looking at the scheme now that there's been a failure, before the change of rules. Maximum liability of the banks is 250,000 a year x 40 licensed banks. So the fund is £10,000000 a year. If the claims are capped at £15k, that means 666 people a year are going to get their 15 grand back.

Anyone know how many customers S&F had?

Archived