Submarine In The Bay

Jimcalagon

Looks like the Ben is setting up for ramming speed. I put my money on the sub, that wave just before it looks too big for the ben to get over.

"How dare they use 'our' bay!"

Can't see too clearly but it looks like the sub isn't flying its ensign as it's meant to. That means it's surrendered!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember seeing a Sub off Port Jack as a kid, that memory is clear as a bell even now 20 years on. Strange what things stick in your heads and why.

I have never had the chance to have a look on a Sub, i think i would hate it to be honest. I like my personal space!

Not sure about really modern subs but the one I went on was cramped. Definitely not a place for a tall person (athough the last captain of this particular sub was over 6ft). I'm not at all claustraphobic as a rule (and I've had it put to the test more than once in the past) but after we'd reached the bow of the boat I was starting to get a little bit jittery. Being the middle of summer on a very hot day probably didn't help mind.

I don't think I could be on one of those things for months at a time, that's for sure.

I remember seeing a Sub off Port Jack as a kid, that memory is clear as a bell even now 20 years on. Strange what things stick in your heads and why.

I have never had the chance to have a look on a Sub, i think i would hate it to be honest. I like my personal space!

They used to have one of the old 1960s diesel-driven 'O' class hunter killers open to the public in Birkenhead. Very interesting and extremely claustrophobic.

Isn't it slightly early for a strike against Isleofmanisthan ? I know Obama doesn't like tax havens, but he's not even president yet. Oh well, room in the bunker has just gone up in price again...

Thinking back I remember something like that also..memorys!!!!

post-1037-1223559796_thumb.jpg

HMS Ocelot in Chatham Docks. Well worth a visit if you're in the area, the tour is fascinating.

Aye, that's the one I went on. Sure I put some pics in the gallery at the time, will have to look when I get home.

post-1037-1223559796_thumb.jpg

HMS Ocelot in Chatham Docks. Well worth a visit if you're in the area, the tour is fascinating.

Aye, that's the one I went on. Sure I put some pics in the gallery at the time, will have to look when I get home.

The one in Birkenhead was H.M.S. Onyx - an 'Oberon' class vessel and sister ship of HMS Ocelot. Pity the museum there was closed down by the landlord. The boat itself was towed to Barrow to form part of an exhibition there (ironic as it was actually built at Cammell Laird's - in Birkenhead).

does anyone remember the 2 subs berthed on the inside of Victoria Pier for a few days many years ago ? (like 1970's ?) got a photo somewhere in the archives

I read the title of this thread & memories of seeing one at Victoria Pier instantly came to mind..........will also have a trawl through the old photo's!!

Only a few pics in the gallery I'm afraid (sure I had more but the pc they were on has since died).

HMS Ocelot - bow

HMS Ocelot - stern

engine room

Chatham is well worth a visit if you're down that way, lots of different stuff to see and if you're lucky, you might get to make some rope like I did (fecking honks though, even now 4 years later!)

It looks like HMS Vanguard out on trials from Barrow

It certainly looks like one of the Vanguard class submarine. Do you mean HMS Victorious? I thought HMS Vanguard was in active service and would be keeping a low profile possibly somewhere in what's left of the Arctic. However HMS Victorious is on trials - so this may well be her.

Archived