Flybe

theman

i have not been on an early or ontime departure and have flown probably 16 flights with them in last 6 months, however friday evening outbound from london in poor weather they can be forgiven for but its the one flight you want to be on time :(

It's not late if they are still on the tarmac 5 minutes after their scheduled departure time, it's late if it arrives after it's scheduled arrival time. If we're judging punctuality based on what time the aircarft actually pushes off the stand every flight I've ever been on in my life has been delayed.

My flight to London on Wednesday was a good 10 minutes on the stand after it's sceduled departure time, yet 5 minutes ahead when on stand at Gatwick, so was it late or early?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have not been on an early or ontime departure and have flown probably 16 flights with them in last 6 months, however friday evening outbound from london in poor weather they can be forgiven for but its the one flight you want to be on time :(

It's not late if they are still on the tarmac 5 minutes after their scheduled departure time, it's late if it arrives after it's scheduled arrival time. If we're judging punctuality based on what time the aircarft actually pushes off the stand every flight I've ever been on in my life has been delayed.

My flight to London on Wednesday was a good 10 minutes on the stand after it's sceduled departure time, yet 5 minutes ahead when on stand at Gatwick, so was it late or early?

Flight Punctuality

For puntuality the message seems to be Ryanair first, FlyBe second. Click on the 'Click for more details' for FlyBe and there are tables for various airports that show average delays on IOM routes.

yes have seen those figures, everytime i fly i still always seem to be late to my meeting or very late getting home.

and i am very aware of the difficulties of both getting a aircraft dispatched on time, effects on weather and airspace congestion at all london airports that can effect any airline. it doesnt make the 1 1/2hr wait to i have to fly home any more fun. they have come a long way since the BAcon take over and i am glad the IOM has a solid carrier finally, but i cant help moaning, i am manx you know its in my nature ;)

Well this may have been discussed already but I want to make sure what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else!

Just got back from seeing my family in Atlanta, Georgia USA. As always, I took two bags over but put one bag inside the other as I always bring lots of stuff back with me, so technically going over I have just one bag. Booked on flybe using my 'Rewards 4 All' points going to Gatwick, paying for one bag going over and two bags coming back. After taxes and such my 'free flight' was over 80 quid. Fair enough, though, I thought. Not free, but still cheaper than paying regular.

Going over I was bringing some good old Manx ales for family and friends and so my one bag was quite heavy - about 24 kilos. All went well though, they put one of those orange 'heavy' stickers on and away I was to the USA. British Airways was, as usual, fantastic.

Cue journey home and someone fell ill on my BA flight to Gatwick. We also had a 45 minute late start due to weather in Atlanta and when we landed at Gatwick we all had to stay put until paramedics could retrieve the sick passenger. This took a good 20 minutes. I am now racing through Gatwick to get my flybe flight. I get to the flybe desk and when asked how many bags I have I say 'two'. When asked how many bags I paid for I say, 'two'. Then the lovely lady behind the desk asks for the two bags to be put up on the scale together. Odd, I thought, usually they want to they them one by one. The two bags then come to 35 kilos. I am informed that even though I paid for two bags, the limit is still 20 kilos - whether you have one bag or two. So paying for an extra bag does nothing. Heh? How does that make any sense?

I'm not happy but keep my cool and ask what needs to be done then? Well, she says its 10 pounds per kilo overweight that I have to pay. That's 150 pounds. Heh? I paid an extra 15 pounds for an extra bag and they wont even take that amount off the 150 pounds!!!! She then announces that all of this is very clearly stated when I booked my ticket. Well, true, shame on me for not reading the fine print, but it sure as hell doesn't proudly announce it either. I have just got back from holiday and its before payday and I'm ashamed to say 150 pounds is going to damn near clear me out. I'm still keeping my cool as I know being an asshole does nothing to help you in these situations but I can safely say the lady behind the desk was actually enjoying this. I am then told that they have just closed the gate on my flight and that I have to go to the customer service desk to get everything sorted out.

So I go to the desk and am told that not only do I have to pay the 150 quid but now also pay for a new flight back because I have missed my flight and since I had booked this 'free flight' with my Rewards for All points that I would have to pay for a new flight!!!!! So now we are looking at a total of almost 300 quid.

This story is getting far too long now so I will try and sum up. I managed to (after much persuading and wrangling) get the next flight for free and talk them down to 80 quid for the extra weight. When I went back to the normal check in desk to check my bags it was a different lady who had seen everything I was going through and she leaned her head over to me and started whispering, 'it really is very naughty you know --- they should be more clear --- this is not fair for you at all' She was very nice, but it just goes to show that even their employees don't think its fair!

So to sum up people ---- if you book a flight on flybe and pay for one bag or two bags the maximum you can take is 20 kilos total -- whether one bag or three.

Also, if you buy your ticket using your rewards points then you will have to pay for a new flight if you miss yours --- even if it is not your fault that you missed it. Careful people!!!!!!!!

Well this may have been discussed already but I want to make sure what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else!

Just got back from seeing my family in Atlanta, Georgia USA. As always, I took two bags over but put one bag inside the other as I always bring lots of stuff back with me, so technically going over I have just one bag. Booked on flybe using my 'Rewards 4 All' points going to Gatwick, paying for one bag going over and two bags coming back. After taxes and such my 'free flight' was over 80 quid. Fair enough, though, I thought. Not free, but still cheaper than paying regular.

Going over I was bringing some good old Manx ales for family and friends and so my one bag was quite heavy - about 24 kilos. All went well though, they put one of those orange 'heavy' stickers on and away I was to the USA. British Airways was, as usual, fantastic.

Cue journey home and someone fell ill on my BA flight to Gatwick. We also had a 45 minute late start due to weather in Atlanta and when we landed at Gatwick we all had to stay put until paramedics could retrieve the sick passenger. This took a good 20 minutes. I am now racing through Gatwick to get my flybe flight. I get to the flybe desk and when asked how many bags I have I say 'two'. When asked how many bags I paid for I say, 'two'. Then the lovely lady behind the desk asks for the two bags to be put up on the scale together. Odd, I thought, usually they want to they them one by one. The two bags then come to 35 kilos. I am informed that even though I paid for two bags, the limit is still 20 kilos - whether you have one bag or two. So paying for an extra bag does nothing. Heh? How does that make any sense?

I'm not happy but keep my cool and ask what needs to be done then? Well, she says its 10 pounds per kilo overweight that I have to pay. That's 150 pounds. Heh? I paid an extra 15 pounds for an extra bag and they wont even take that amount off the 150 pounds!!!! She then announces that all of this is very clearly stated when I booked my ticket. Well, true, shame on me for not reading the fine print, but it sure as hell doesn't proudly announce it either. I have just got back from holiday and its before payday and I'm ashamed to say 150 pounds is going to damn near clear me out. I'm still keeping my cool as I know being an asshole does nothing to help you in these situations but I can safely say the lady behind the desk was actually enjoying this. I am then told that they have just closed the gate on my flight and that I have to go to the customer service desk to get everything sorted out.

So I go to the desk and am told that not only do I have to pay the 150 quid but now also pay for a new flight back because I have missed my flight and since I had booked this 'free flight' with my Rewards for All points that I would have to pay for a new flight!!!!! So now we are looking at a total of almost 300 quid.

This story is getting far too long now so I will try and sum up. I managed to (after much persuading and wrangling) get the next flight for free and talk them down to 80 quid for the extra weight. When I went back to the normal check in desk to check my bags it was a different lady who had seen everything I was going through and she leaned her head over to me and started whispering, 'it really is very naughty you know --- they should be more clear --- this is not fair for you at all' She was very nice, but it just goes to show that even their employees don't think its fair!

So to sum up people ---- if you book a flight on flybe and pay for one bag or two bags the maximum you can take is 20 kilos total -- whether one bag or three.

Also, if you buy your ticket using your rewards points then you will have to pay for a new flight if you miss yours --- even if it is not your fault that you missed it. Careful people!!!!!!!!

I was stung in a similar fashion coming back through Atlanta myself coincidentally in June. I was informed if I had booked a through-ticket I would have been ok after I complained about us being limited to the 20kg limit even when we're travelling long haul.

I travelled the same route this past week and I'd booked a through-ticket with a 3rd party website. I emailed Flybe for them to clarify the situation regarding the above matter and after receiving no reply called them and was informed yes, they would honour the baggage allowance I had with Delta for the trans-Atlantic trip. I checked in at Ronaldsway last Saturday only for the lady on the desk to try and tell me it was still a limit of 20kg even for 2 bags. I stood my ground and made her check and eventually she came back and sheepishly muttered that I had an allowance of 22.5kgs each for 2 bags. I've booked through the same website again for my Christmas and New Years trip so the extra allowance will be very handy when taking presents over and bringing shopping back. I could even check my bags right through from my start off point in Tennessee through Atlanta/Gatwick back to here.

I was stung in a similar fashion coming back through Atlanta myself coincidentally in June. I was informed if I had booked a through-ticket I would have been ok after I complained about us being limited to the 20kg limit even when we're travelling long haul.

I travelled the same route this past week and I'd booked a through-ticket with a 3rd party website. I emailed Flybe for them to clarify the situation regarding the above matter and after receiving no reply called them and was informed yes, they would honour the baggage allowance I had with Delta for the trans-Atlantic trip. I checked in at Ronaldsway last Saturday only for the lady on the desk to try and tell me it was still a limit of 20kg even for 2 bags. I stood my ground and made her check and eventually she came back and sheepishly muttered that I had an allowance of 22.5kgs each for 2 bags. I've booked through the same website again for my Christmas and New Years trip so the extra allowance will be very handy when taking presents over and bringing shopping back. I could even check my bags right through from my start off point in Tennessee through Atlanta/Gatwick back to here.

if i pay for a bag will you bring me 22.5 kgs of jack danials back next time u go to tennessee and ill pay for your extda bag aswell, deal or what, ill pay for the jd ,and while your there a new marshal trowell would be great.

I recently booked a family ticket. The credit card charge was £27.00 and the debit card charge was £11.00

How on earth can they get away with £27.00 for using a credit card?

this is set to change from per passenger per flight credit card charges to a 3% credit card and 2% debit card with a minium of £4 or £2.50 for debit cards.

not sure what happens if you are booking a family holiday for £3000 as thats still a huge wedge of cash considering the costs they actually incur for he transaction but for lower priced tickets its a little bit fairer.

Can you imagine what would happen to the supermarkets if they started to impose a credit card charge for each item purchased? This is exactly what Flybe and others are doing. When I recently booked 2 tickets to Gatwick for 2 people the credit card charge is made up of £4.99 per person per leg i.e. £19.96 credit card charge.

I've just been to Tesco and bought 102 items of shopping and not been charged for using my credit card, in fact using my Tesco Credit Card I get extra Tesco points which I get back in vouchers :-)

I raised the CC per person per leg charge with the OFT 6 months ago and as yet have to hear back from them after their initial we will look into it response.

Coming back from the USA earlier in the year the nice people at Gatwick said that I was over my 20kg limit by 3kg which I found amazing as all the way through from leaving here to returning from the US my bags weighed between 19 & 19.5kg. Now they were 3.5kg heavier! Anyway I had some time to kill so I asked the lady to see the calibration certificate for the scales as to levy a charge the scales would have to be calibrated in accordance with local trading standards requirements.

To cut a long story short, 30 mins later with a long queue forming no certificate was produced and the excess baggage charge waived :D

this is set to change from per passenger per flight credit card charges to a 3% credit card and 2% debit card with a minium of £4 or £2.50 for debit cards.

I do not see how Flybe can possibly incur these costs through credit (or debit) card usage. It's daylight robbery.

Watchdog had Michael O'Leary on last week defending this practice. He was basically saying look, we've told people that there is a charge, and how much it is, and they can choose to accept it, or not to. When pressed as to how much of that charge actually constituted the cost to Ryanair of processing a credit card transaction, he replied "none of your business".

I can SORT OF see his point, but I can't see any reason for dressing it up like this other than to mislead.

Archived