[BBC News] Proposals for council house sales

Newsbot

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not too sure about the timing of this proposal with a bank crisis on the go.

However, why not give tenants the option and at the same time set the rents on a means basis. It would seem to be fairer.

Who would opt for higher rents?

I agree with the others, it's a good way of freeing up housing but only if the proceeds are used to build more houses.

I too agree that they should be sold off to those that want to buy them, but only on a buy and replace basis.

If mortgages are going to be difficult to obtain (and 'the days of easy money are over') the selling and rebuilding of council houses here would provide a lot of building jobs until the housing sector settles to the level it ends up at (which I suspect will be at 4 to 5 most times earnings).

Selling and rebuilding say 600 council houses that are needed could generate around £300M profit which could then be used to build the additional first time homes desperately needed here, and help us out in the event of a slow down (but hopefully with recent world events we will avoid the worst of now).

I've never really understood the concept of buying your council house. It was always my impression that it was a temporary arrangement for those most in need of housing, provided until such a point the occupier could afford to move on and buy a place.

If the tennants can afford to buy a house, why don't they buy a private one and vacate their current house in favour of someone who needs it?

I've never really understood the concept of buying your council house. It was always my impression that it was a temporary arrangement for those most in need of housing, provided until such a point the occupier could afford to move on and buy a place.

If the tennants can afford to buy a house, why don't they buy a private one and vacate their current house in favour of someone who needs it?

Because they're not temporary, once you get one, you're in for good. The occupants circumstances aren't revised.

I don't buy thus 44% housing in Castletown is public. ie Commissioners or DLGE

There are, according to the 2006 census 1269 housing units in castletown of which accordingf to the 2007 Housing report 254 are public. I calculate that percentage as just less than 20%

There are just over 5,000 public housing units on the Ilsand and there are 33,390 housing units Island wide which is just under 15%

UK schemes take into account the amount of time tenants have lived there i.e. How much rent has been paid, which affects the buying price. This ensures older people >40 get the chance to get a mortgage too, and are not faced with a 25 year mortgage.

I think the schemes are a good idea as it encourages people to not give up and to try harder, even if their circumstances mean they are in council accomodation.

It also allows the council to build new housing stock (which they failed to do in the UK) - and mix tenants and homeowners leading to better quality estates.

It also allows the council to build new housing stock (which they failed to do in the UK) - and mix tenants and homeowners leading to better quality estates.

Mixing tenants and homeowners has NEVER led to better quality estates.

Council tenants are lower down the class scale and jealous of homeowners financial status

Homeowners are higher up the class scale and resentful / snobbish towards council tenants.

Unfortunately the above statements are facts of life that will never improve the quality of estates

Mixing tenants and homeowners has NEVER led to better quality estates.

Council tenants are lower down the class scale and jealous of homeowners financial status

Homeowners are higher up the class scale and resentful / snobbish towards council tenants.

Unfortunately the above statements are facts of life that will never improve the quality of estates

This is complete and utter bollocks of the highest order. I grew up in just such a situation (on both sides of your mythical divide) and am therefore speaking from experience.

Archived