[BBC News] Proposals for council house sales

Newsbot

These sales would be subject to the usual surveys etc? Can anyone me if a house is found to be full of asbestos (the nasty stuff) what effect that would have on the survey?

Bugger all, the surveyor would still get his money for writing stuff down - its just down to haggling on the price after that - Oh! and getting the money from a bank/relative/loan shark/drug dealer.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as sale proceeds are used to buy other housing stock I have no objections

One thing we should remember is that the IOM has never stopped building public housing stock like thatcherite Britain.

UK maximum Public Housing statistic was 21% around 1980 but only 10% here. The percentage here is now 15%, and in that 25 yeras the tiotal housing stock has increased as well

Remember IOM government has promoted schemes where it has subsidiesed first time buyer houese by paying for the land or giving grants and soft interest loans and top up loans for 40 years. The current scheme is generous. What has been in favour has been to subsidise ownership rather than rental, but also rental housing has been built, sheltered housing has been built and the majority of the stock re furbished as well

Problem has been with greedy builders holding housing stock to ransom and planners not requiring enough local, social and fist time buyer housing as a condotion of planning there is stil a shortage. It is also a demographic feature of more young single people wanting housing, more divorces so more older single people ,etc, so its not all down to the developers and government

I read the stuff about mixed housing with a total sense of shame for the awful views expressed by some people. WE have mixed housing in Anagh Coar and in Jurby and I am not aware of any them and us problems. In UK every estate and block is mixed after sell off. In the block I ahve an aopertemt in in Spain half a re sociola and rented from a housing association and the other half are private

What went wrong in England and to a lesser extent IOM was that not enough money was put into heating, cleaning, maintaining etc the common areas in huge estates or tower blocks by the loacl authorities/landlords. Once you sort that out you cannot tell the difference in most cases.

As long as sale proceeds are used to buy other housing stock I have no objections

What if the other housing stock is then sold to the new tenants? Do we use the proceeds of that to buy some more housing stocks and what if that housing is sold and ...etc

Clearly then, there is no point in selling off the housing stock.

However . . . . the Isle of Man Government are going to have to raise an awful lot of money to pay its way sometime in the future. One obvious way is to offer the housing for sale.

See the UK Tenants Rights Act for details. It worked for Margaret Thatcher and a similar Act might just give Tony Brown and his pals a bit of breathing space over here.

Archived