Fuel Surcharges?

Keith

So with fuel prices dropping and petrol down below £1 per litre at some places in the UK, anyone fancy a wager as to when the Steam Packet will remove the 'temporary' fuel surcharge or will it simply become part of their profit? I'm sure the airlines will also be eager to remove this charge too <_<

So with fuel prices dropping and petrol down below £1 per litre at some places in the UK, anyone fancy a wager as to when the Steam Packet will remove the 'temporary' fuel surcharge or will it simply become part of their profit? I'm sure the airlines will also be eager to remove this charge too <_<

Or will the SP introduce extra charges for boarding first, using the lavatory, being allowed to disembark, etc., etc.?

S

Not just that, but when will our petrol stations begin to approach this mythical £1 per litre?

When the UK drops below 85p I expect, since we always seem to be paying this 10-15p delivery surcharge per litre.

Latest I can recall was that they were planning on doubling it? Or am I making that up?

Or will the SP introduce extra charges for boarding first, using the lavatory, being allowed to disembark, etc., etc.?

S

I had this very conversation with the SP after a trip. An entire section of the left hand (Sorry PORT) was roped off for deep cleaning. The boat was packed - and they kept announcing that the top deck - (which used to be free) had spare seating - at a price.

Deep cleaning never goes on during a trip, and it never did during this trip - but the area was kept closed.

When I questioned the racket about this, and their stoopid idea of charging for an entire deck, when most of it used to be free - I was met with waffle and passenger demand shows the idea was a good one. No SP - profits show it was a good one!

I did ask if they intended to charge if you wanted to leave you car - and suggested a ramping price structure.

Stay in your car on the car deck £5.00

Stand along side your car on the car deck £10.00

Stand on the stairs £15.00 (book a step and extra £10.00)

Stand in cattle class £25.00 (book a space extra £10.00)

Sit in cattle class £50.00 (book a seat add £10.00)

Use the once free top deck £100.00

Sit on the top deck £150.00 (book a seat add £150.00)

Stand in the queue for a soggy bacon bap cooked under a 10 watt lamp and a cup of powered tea dust moistened in luke warm water (£10.00)

Overnight sailings, charge extra if you want to sleep (£50.00 per extra seat used)

Im sure they took the ideas on board, and will announce a new price structure when they are forced to drop the fuel surcharge/bring in the new boat.

Prices subject to change, terms and conditions apply. All charges per single leg crossing only and may be subject to a minimum wage / wave height / navigation light buld / flush per passenger ratio / crew to passenger ratio / wind direction / rubbish bag per passenger ratio / sales of tea and bacon bap per passenger ratio / credit crunch / green services / carbon footprint offset / crew travel insurance surcharge. (or what ever phrase they can think of to squeeze more more out of the paying public).

Manx Radio recently granted a spokesman for Manx Petroleum free reign to explain why consumers here aren't being ripped off - the transportation charges, the terribly expensive storage facilities, etc, etc.

The risen given for the delay in lowering petrol / fuel costs was because, of course, it takes time for the lower-priced crude oil to work it's way through to the pumps. Our eagle-eyed reporter did, unfortunately, fail to ask why, in that instance, prices at the pumps respond almost immediately to rising oil prices.

Of course we're being ripped off. The price differential of heating oil in particular, between here and the UK is a disgrace.

The answer is on the Racket blog:

Another contributor to the blog has asked if we will be reducing our surcharges due to the recent reduction in the price of crude oil. Because the system works in arrears, we will be reviewing our fuel surcharges in March in line with the actual costs incurred over the prior 6 month period.

So in other words whilst they say that they generously subsidised fares out of the kindness of their hearts earlier this year the IOMSPC is now taking this opportunity to get its hands into passengers wallets. What is the betting that they will be setting 2009 fares based on July 2008 oil prices?

I used to do regular day trips to watch football but at £32 for a day trip just for the ferry fare, I can't justify that unless it is for a special match. Of course, when they screw the timetables up again, they will say that it is because no-one wanted day trips, conveniently forgetting that their 'bargain' £22 crossing is actually £32 due to 'fuel surcharges'. Add another £3 to take it up to £35 if you actually want to book by credit card.

Ah well, I'll be staying home again tomorrow... I'll probably be glad come Sunday when the severe weather arrives... and we've lost again!

The price of oil has dropped to near $70 a barrel, which is what it was in October 2005. (oil-price.net). (There were no fuel surcharges then)

The price may drop further if the recession continues to bite.

Every time the seacat is cancelled, the Steam Packet saves "£15,000, or even up to £17,000" in fuel costs alone for the round trip to Liverpool. (Their figures - blog 2/9/08)

Why wait until March to remove a surcharge that is clearly now all additional profit, or did they buy into oil futures at the highest possible price?

:pirate:

The price of oil has dropped to near $70 a barrel, which is what it was in October 2005. (oil-price.net). (There were no fuel surcharges then)

The price may drop further if the recession continues to bite.

Every time the seacat is cancelled, the Steam Packet saves "£15,000, or even up to £17,000" in fuel costs alone for the round trip to Liverpool. (Their figures - blog 2/9/08)

Why wait until March to remove a surcharge that is clearly now all additional profit, or did they buy into oil futures at the highest possible price?

:pirate:

They don't fuel their ships on Brent crude direct from the pipe though, do they? Rather than looking at what oil is being sold at on the news, you should be looking at the price of marine fuel.

Surely they are obliged to refund passengers who are affected by sailing cancellations? Would this not somewhat negate the savings of not sailing?

Boat owners will have to pay the full price for diesel after the 31st October. What damage does a pleasure boat do to the seas that require the Government to carry out costly repairs. It will not cost me about £1-10 lt compared to the 63p lt was costing, its a big increase when I have to fill up 300 lts at a time

Archived