Pc Flat And His Cardboard Friends

loaf

Just reading about the continuing jolly saga of PC Flat in Sulby - this has always made me wonder as to the legalities of using cut-out cops.

Firstly, the police themselves are not doing this, it is often a community or even 'anonymous' effort. Isn't making a life-size cutout of a traffic cop effectively impersonating a policeman, and isn't that an offence?

I guess that impersonating a policeman is more than donning a uniform - stag nights, fancy dress parties for example, but nobody is going to panic and behave themselves when a bloke in a uniform singing football songs and smelling of booze comes staggering across Strand Street.

With the likes of PC Flat, using a cardboard cut-out like this is deliberately and sincerely meant to give oncoming motorists the impression that a real policeman is there. Surely we can't all start putting cut-out-cops all over the place? Isn't that 'taking the law into your own hands'? What if somebody puts a fake policeman in an area that actually causes motorists to panic and crash their vehicle? Who would be liable?

PC Flat is a cardboard cut-out of a real local bobby. The whole thing was done in co-operation with the traffic unit AFAIK.

(Actually, he needs an agent who will insist on us all calling him 'PC Apartment.')

PC Flat is a cardboard cut-out of a real local bobby.

He was obviously chosen because he is clearly cut-out for this line of work.

Rumour has it there are three cardboard cut-outs of MHKs elected a couple of years ago sat in Tynwald - and no one has noticed yet that they haven't said anything, never mind addressed the issues highlighted in their own manifesto's. In the meantime they are apparently living a £50K pa highlife in Spain.

I see this as a good move by the police and they should be applauded. It works, it does slow down traffic.

It was a shame one was vandalised. I see no sense in that at all. Presumably a drunk kid (driving?) showing off to his mates.

The problem with "PC Flat" is he doesn't move around enough for such a small island (that meaning people making short journeys multiple times a day) Once you know where he is he has no effect.

What would be interesting is occasionally if he were to be replaced by PC not so flat, that would catch some people out :lol: (and me probably :D ) shit should have kept my mouth shut....

Good point though.

Maybe there is more than one PC flat.

Perhaps this thread could log where he (they?) are. I don't think that would be harmful as you never no - he may be replaced with da real thing!

Anyway, yesterday and for a few days previously I understand he was Douglas side (Duck Street) of Ballabeg.

LINK

Taking it a step further.....

Hey, they could have cardboard children that look real, in a running pose, attach them to some sort of pully system and occasionally pull them out into the middle of the road in front of moving traffic! That would keep you on your toes :lol:

the cut out cops are a great idea, i should have had a ticket yesterday but he didn't stop me, nice fellow that he is. on the serious side though what they should do is swap the cutout for the real fella who would stand in the same place in the same pose, or fit a mobile speed camera behind the cutout so he/it actually works. folks won't know whether he is the one with the speed camera or not. anything that slows down speeders in built up areas is ok in my books.

Now the Kiwis go in for police cardboard cut outs...

A $1000 carboard model cutout police car has been slowing down motorists at state highway roadworks in the Nelson region, New Zealand. It was promoted by roading contractor Fulton Hogan as an initiative to slow down traffic. Fulton Hogan’s staff were often injured by gravel sent flying when people drove too fast.

cardboardcopcar.jpg

the cut out cops are a great idea, i should have had a ticket yesterday but he didn't stop me, nice fellow that he is. on the serious side though what they should do is swap the cutout for the real fella who would stand in the same place in the same pose, or fit a mobile speed camera behind the cutout so he/it actually works. folks won't know whether he is the one with the speed camera or not. anything that slows down speeders in built up areas is ok in my books.

I just said that, thief. :D

Now the Kiwis go in for police cardboard cut outs...

A $1000 carboard model cutout police car has been slowing down motorists at state highway roadworks in the Nelson region, New Zealand. It was promoted by roading contractor Fulton Hogan as an initiative to slow down traffic. Fulton Hogan’s staff were often injured by gravel sent flying when people drove too fast.

cardboardcopcar.jpg

When I was smaller there we were going to cornwall...I think...maybe wales, anyway they had a cardboard police rangerover that used to sit by the side of the motorway.

They did it first. ;)

Archived