Digital Rights Management Software

When Skies Are Grey

I have noticed on a number of forums that people have been complaining about DRM on a number of upcoming must have titles....I am not technical genius so was wondering if this was anything for the casual gamer like myself to get upset about???

Can anyone explain in layman's terms what its all about.....

I have noticed on a number of forums that people have been complaining about DRM on a number of upcoming must have titles....I am not technical genius so was wondering if this was anything for the casual gamer like myself to get upset about???

Can anyone explain in layman's terms what its all about.....

I think the issues are for games like Spore and Bioshock that limit the number of installs you can do over the software's life which is very harsh. They also require online authentication, and call home periodically to verify. I hear that Farcry's drm is also date limited, you can't play it before a certain date, so potentially after a certain date too.

It all makes it easier to just rip it off in the first place, the logic being, if you're going to get treated like a criminal, you might as well be one.

Just pushes me further away from PC gaming personally. I'll pay a premium to get the 360 version to avoid the bull.

DRM has been around for a long time. It's what makes you have to insert the original CD in the drive to play a game.

The issue has not just been the inconvenience of having to find your CD when you want to play, it's more about certain systems like SecureROM installing rootkit like software onto your machine which doesn't uninstall when the game is. These malicious little programs will sometimes prevent you from using virtual DVD software such as Daemon Tools (which even has legitimate uses I believe!) and you really have no control over them. They're a bitch to remove too.

I don't have an issue with developers wanting to protect their product. Who wouldn't? However, to do it the way they're doing it now is alienating legitimate customers into either moving to console platforms or effectively pirating their software by installing cracked executables.

DRM has been around for a long time. It's what makes you have to insert the original CD in the drive to play a game.

The issue has not just been the inconvenience of having to find your CD when you want to play, it's more about certain systems like SecureROM installing rootkit like software onto your machine which doesn't uninstall when the game is. These malicious little programs will sometimes prevent you from using virtual DVD software such as Daemon Tools (which even has legitimate uses I believe!) and you really have no control over them. They're a bitch to remove too.

I don't have an issue with developers wanting to protect their product. Who wouldn't? However, to do it the way they're doing it now is alienating legitimate customers into either moving to console platforms or effectively pirating their software by installing cracked executables.

The thing is the new wave DRM is less to do with pirates and more to do with restricting your ability to sell the game on at a later date. Which acording to some EA execs is worse than piracy, a veiw point I can understand as a copy lost to a pirate is not a lost sale as it unlikely the pirate would buy the game ever.

My personal problem with the new wave of DRM is that it reduces my rights from that of a purchaser to that of a renter, if in x amount of years I decide that I want to play Bioshock, for example, I still need to connect to the internet for activation. Fine in theory but whats to say 2K will still be around to give me permission to play a game I bought?

Meh none of these problems on consoles yet, and I refuse to buy games with this level of copy protection so I dont care to much. There are no PC exclusives I cant live with out.

Archived