Salesmen At Your Door

Miss Marple

So just having my tea - someone banging on my door, open door - unshaven man stood at door in near darkness telling me he is selling exterior painting solutions for property - I may have given him the benefit of my listening skills however

a) my tea was going cold and

b) my house does not need painting - so I bade him farewell.

However on reflection I wonder if this kind of selling is legal ? thoughts please ?

exterior painting solutions

That's one for Private Eye.

"The Blue Team: Outsourced Vehicle Movement Solutions "

CAR DELIVERIES

"Clegg: Accommodation Solutions "

FLATS

"Uniq's Vision is to be the most exciting provider of chilled food solutions to our customers across Europe "

READY MEALS

"Integrated Care Solutions (Shropshire): working in partnership to deliver Residential, Day-care and Extra-care solutions "

NURSING HOMES

Please e-mail your entries to solutions@private-eye.co.uk

However on reflection I wonder if this kind of selling is legal ? thoughts please ?

No as long as they f**k off when you tell them to f**k off I don't think its illegal.

Would that be same as saying "no thanks!" whilst brandishing a sawn off shotgun and saying "get off my land"

No as long as they f**k off when you tell them to f**k off I don't think its illegal.

Would that be same as saying "no thanks!" whilst brandishing a sawn off shotgun and saying "get off my land"

Yes. If you do it more than a few times they put you on some door to door salesmans nutter list and they stop coming round!

You do know that there is no law to say that you have to even answer your door when someone knocks on it. It's like a withheld number, they don't get answered. If you're not expected, don't expect me to answer the door. Simple!

You do know that there is no law to say that you have to even answer your door when someone knocks on it. It's like a withheld number, they don't get answered. If you're not expected, don't expect me to answer the door. Simple!

Must admin I never answer the front door. Anyone I want to see knows me well enough to come to the back door

I think this is what Cold calling covers and as far as i remember there is no law against it over here yet. I was driving through an area of brum a couple of months ago and i saw loads of signs saying cold calling was illegal in that area and people would be fined heavily for try it.

I have not had any cold callers or religious types at my new house yet, i have had those pesky avon and other people who shove brochures through the doors without asking and then they come to collect them a week later and wonder why i have tore the booklet up and put it back on the doorstep in the little wrapper.

You have to ask yourself -

a - if its near dark - how the feck does he know your outside needs painting?

b - if he comes round tomorrow, rings on the door, and your not in .. did you lock the back door?

c - if he is in the business - is he any good? (because he has to drum up custom door to door). No one ever turns up on the door step offering a service and then says, 'well Im busy - a week next August do ya?'

d - did he drive away in thisvan?

Archived