Redundancies

bluemonday

The Govt has asked the IOM Film Commission to produce a light hearted comedy in the hope it distracts people from the economic downturn, cheers people up while we "weather the storm" and hides the fact that they haven't a clue what to do about it.

3stoogesgu2.jpg

w428.png

love it!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She said Quote>

In a statement, she said: 'We have restructured our business to ensure that we are well placed to meet the challenges ahead.

She wants the phone number for some Polish workers, two for the price of one :D .

Never mind those being paid off will have plenty of spare time, they can volunteer to do some painting of the schools :rolleyes:

You really are MCB/Copycat. Remember, that any downturn in this sector will affect everyone; the whole island is dependant on it to a greater or lesser degree - best not to gloat too early.

I hope those affected do find something else.

If anyone in Govt offices is doing Kris Kindle this year can you note that they're in dire need of new political clichéd sound bites. Anything of a meteorological nature seems to go down well.

Sailing ones go down well too - Going through rough waters at the moment but will soon be sailing into calmer seas etc

She said Quote>

In a statement, she said: 'We have restructured our business to ensure that we are well placed to meet the challenges ahead.

She wants the phone number for some Polish workers, two for the price of one :D .

Never mind those being paid off will have plenty of spare time, they can volunteer to do some painting of the schools :rolleyes:

You really are MCB/Copycat. Remember, that any downturn in this sector will affect everyone; the whole island is dependant on it to a greater or lesser degree - best not to gloat too early.

Sorry that ain't my problem, its the ones you voted in who put all the eggs in one basket. The same ones that voted to pay out up to £50k in compensation to private account holders and local authorities but sod all for small companies and possible sole traders.

The Govt has asked the IOM Film Commission to produce a light hearted comedy in the hope it distracts people from the economic downturn, cheers people up while we "weather the storm" and hides the fact that they haven't a clue what to do about it.

Bizarre as it may seem in 1949 The Crown Film Unit made just such a film along these lines - 'What a Life!' (synopsis: 'you've never had it so bad'), a kind of ironic look at post-war depression and austerity, but it only had two stooges.

Post-War Misery

This Richard Massingham film is a bizarre contribution from the Crown Film Unit, and addresses the challenges Britain faced in the austere post-war era.

Wartime enthusiasm and self-confidence had become seriously eroded by the crisis-laden year of 1947. Domestically, the continuation of rationing, including for the first time bread (between 1946-48) and the fuel and economic crises, together with Indian independence, 1947 was largely a year that dented the immediate post war assurances.

Although the wartime Lend-Lease agreement had enabled Britain to continue its struggle against the Axis Powers alone, it gave the misleading appearance of the nation as a first-rank power. In the immediate post war years it gradually became hard to understand how as a winning power, head of a great empire, second only to USA in influence, became so austere and destitute.

The film has no obvious point beyond, as the British Film Institute pointed out, displaying Massingham's fondness for black humour and parodying along the way that familiar complaint, "the country is going to the dogs!"

In fact this film caused some controversy in Parliament. On 15 February 1949, the Conservative MP for Twickenham, Edward Keeling asked the President of the Board of Trade in the House of Commons:

"Has the Lord President seen this film? Does he know that it shows two men so depressed by the conditions of life the in England today that they try to drown themselves, but make a mess of it? Does he really think that this is the sort of film on which £9,000 of taxpayers' money should be spent?"

From our point of view, we are glad they did.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1...ilmpage_wal.htm

I think the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup would be better

Tony Brown as Rufus T Firefly Alan Bell as Pinkie and Cretters as Chiccolino

"A sidesplitting comedy as the hapless trio defend Freedonia"

What about the Peter Seller's film "The Mouse that Roared", in which "The Duchy of Grand Fenwick decides that the only way to get out of their economic woes is to declare war on the United States, lose and accept foreign aid."

She said Quote>

Sorry that ain't my problem, its the ones you voted in who put all the eggs in one basket. The same ones that voted to pay out up to £50k in compensation to private account holders and local authorities but sod all for small companies and possible sole traders.

The ones I voted for didn't get in! There is quite a bit of commercial diversification on this island, despite what you may think. You need to check again about the depositor protection scheme; it may not meet your every wish, but it is damn sight better than is being offered elsewhere.

As far as it ain't your problem, just be careful as one day it may become your problem.

She said Quote>

The ones I voted for didn't get in! There is quite a bit of commercial diversification on this island, despite what you may think. You need to check again about the depositor protection scheme; it may not meet your every wish, but it is damn sight better than is being offered elsewhere.

As far as it ain't your problem, just be careful as one day it may become your problem.

The scheme has no protection for small companies or sole traders, so let them go to the wall and more on the dole, good thinking batman

She said Quote>

The scheme has no protection for small companies or sole traders, so let them go to the wall and more on the dole, good thinking batman

There shouldn't be any protection in my view. Why should I, as a taxpayer, bail out somebody who has made a risky investment, and profitted from it in the good times? Do you want government to pay up when you lose a bet on the horses?

And this is not a no-cost scheme. Interest rates offered by good banks would be higher if it weren't for the cost of insuring themselves against having to pay for defaults by bad banks.

S

Its only a short term fix.

Mr Bell said

He clarified that the enhanced depositors' compensation scheme - with maximum payments for individual depositors of £50,000 - would last for 12 months, and would continue at the level of £20,000 after that.

Archived