Redundancies

bluemonday

I actually agree with this. If the economy moves back to where it was circa 1995 then that's about the right balance. Smaller companies, more locals in control, smaller population, cheaper housing, less government head count, less bullshit, more focus.

Agree.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There again, this could all blow over toward the end of next year, provided we stand our ground now and in the forthcoming UK review. Maybe it isn't being handled as best as it could yet, but fact is we have faced similiar, albeit not so deep, doo doo before and come through it.

Gordon Broon may also likely be history, or on his way at least, by next year too.

There is also untapped potential for other markets for finance companies here too IMO.

...no one is, or should be, packing their bags quite yet.

I don't think so. People in the private sector are losing their jobs. Lazy, overpaid civil servants aren't. It is wrong

What's wrong? That people in the civil service who are apparently overpaid and lazy are not losing their jobs too or simply because people in the private sector are losing their jobs?

What's wrong? That people in the civil service who are apparently overpaid and lazy are not losing their jobs too or simply because people in the private sector are losing their jobs?

Because over here, the govt and civil service is over staffed, over budget, and over fed - and we're over taxed already when you consider that they represent a disproportionate 25% of the working population.

Because over here, the govt and civil service is over staffed, over budget, and over fed - and we're over taxed already when you consider that they represent a disproportionate 25% of the working population.

I didn't realise it was that large, though I do not see why such a percentage is in itself disproportionate, but then I do not know the make-up of the Manx state. I would, however, argue that it is unlikely that the civil servants are overpaid but rather than from the perspective of the majority of private workers on the Island, they do not realise they are underpaid.

It is not someone's fault for working in the private sector, but when the inevitable happens in the capitalist system (when the system fails to respond to the needs of the people and unconsumption occurs) then workers are expendable. But if the government feels it wants to keep on these workers, which it should, then we really should not complain about that. The message I was getting from Tugger seemed to be that if the private sector is taking the hit the public sector should. But again, people are losing their jobs because private workers jobs are even more unsecure than they were before the credit crisis.

Vat reduction is only a short term measure in Jan 2010 it is being raised to at least 18.5%.

As for Civil servants, how many are employed by the DTL, that department operates out of several locations on the Island and surely it cant be paying.

We have to keep spending in order for the economy to survive, maybe they should look at taxing non essential goods more, A lot of people now spend more on booze obtained from the supermarkets because its cheap, this could be an area that could be taxed more, supermarkets dont need booze to survive.

Vat reduction is only a short term measure in Jan 2010 it is being raised to at least 18.5%.

A claim that's been denied.

As for Civil servants, how many are employed by the DTL, that department operates out of several locations on the Island and surely it cant be paying.

Say again, but in English?

We have to keep spending in order for the economy to survive, maybe they should look at taxing non essential goods more, A lot of people now spend more on booze obtained from the supermarkets because its cheap, this could be an area that could be taxed more, supermarkets dont need booze to survive.

Which is exactly what's in the PBR.

A claim that's been denied.

No smoke without fire > http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-20924910/

Say again, but in English?

For the size of the Tourist industry on the Island is the DTL over staffed

Which is exactly what's in the PBR.

I didn't realise it was that large, though I do not see why such a percentage is in itself disproportionate, but then I do not know the make-up of the Manx state. I would, however, argue that it is unlikely that the civil servants are overpaid but rather than from the perspective of the majority of private workers on the Island, they do not realise they are underpaid.

Bear in mind that on the Island, many of what would be privately-held assets and facilities are state-owned/run here. For example electricity, water, harbours, the airport, buses, heritage facilities (to an extent). Furthermore there is less out-sourcing of things like road maintenance, cleaning staff etc.

Since Albert is so sure that the public sector is over-employed, perhaps he might be able to list a few hundred jobs that could be cut?

Archived