Mt New Mobile Charges

x-in-man

or are we getting nothing for something?

Sure mobiles 15p to text them - or anyone else not on MTs network.

Out goes the 5% credit when top up on line.

Out goes the credit back when you use the phone.

oh - you do get 600 texts when you top up with a tenner, valid for 31 days - only - to use with MT to MT phones when on island only - not roaming.

Thats 19 texts a day for free ..

shit! I will have to give up work to send that many -

thats on the days when the system bloody works.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cousin in Ireland is with Meteor. When she tops up with £20 she has unlimited texts to all Irish networks for a month. When the month is up she can continue texting and calling until she then uses up the £20. She can then top up any time after that and the free month of texting starts again. A £20 top-up can last her a couple of months. I think O2 have followed suit. Competition is a fantastic thing.

Simple answer, go and see the lovely helpful people in Sure. I never worry about my phone bills anymore, I can phone who ever I want, within reason, all UK land lines and MT & UK mobiles are in with my free minutes. No nasty surprises at the end of the month for me, unlike the time I made a call to my mate on her mobile in England when I had my old MT phone.

x-in-man, I just noticed your sig, heeheeeheeeheeeheee. Most excellent dear, most excellent.

For some reason the anally retentive mods have chosen to close a thread started by Modey and directed it to this unrelated thread.

Manx telecom are changing there payg terms and as from 1st november when you top up £10 you get 600 free texts ohmy.gif

the more you top up the more texts you get. So if you top up £20 you get 6000.

Obviously these have to be used within the month but even so, great deal!

I switched over to sure last year but looks like i'll be switching back as i mainly use my phone for texting and this is much better deal than i'm getting at sure.

Unless of course sure come back with someting better. wink.gif

Full details on manx telecms website

To which Last 10 asked -

Great idea but what is the price of a phone call on this new PAYG tarrif?

Anyone know the answer?

I'd give anything for an unlimited data plan. My last bill consisted of my £15 monthly charge (which I used for 3 free minutes and around 10 free text messages) .. then another £15 for accessing a handful of websites!

The free 1Mb the give you is like 5 page views on any website that has a couple of pictures. Actually less, Manx Telecom's front page is 277824 bytes .. I wouldn't even get 3 page views with my free data allowance!

"Our pay monthly tariffs offer fantastic value for money"

p.s. actually .. does anyone know if you can "bolt-on" a mobile data package to a Pay Monthly contract?

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Skypephone:

Skypephone

Is this an alternative to mobile phones in the IOM or will it not work here?

I love the way links are provided but people dont read the deals.

On-Net (texts sent to Manx Telecom mobiles)

On-Net Text Messaging Charges Peak

7.00am to 7.00pm Off Peak

7.00pm to 7.00am

Cost per text message 10p 5p

Prices include VAT

Off-Net (texts sent to non-Manx Telecom mobiles)

Off-Net Text Messaging Charges At All Times

Cost per text message 15p

Price includes VAT

Great on the old system I got a few quid extra for calls and as I rarely text the new system is about as welcome as a fart in an astronought suit to me, thanks a bunch MT

Changes to Credit Back

Effective from the 1st November 2008 Credit Back will apply to on-net voice calls only. In any one month, spend more than £10.00 on voice calls and get 5% credit back.

From this date the current 10% Credit Back discount applied to call spend of £20.00 and over will be withdrawn.

link

Its fairly obvious to see what MT are trying to do and what Sure have been doing for a while (free weekend sms when you top up on a Friday ect.) they know it will always be a split market so they stimulate the sms market which will lead to off network sms which in turn makes them money.

All the better for us the consumers if they keep trying to out do each other with deals.

p.s. actually .. does anyone know if you can "bolt-on" a mobile data package to a Pay Monthly contract?

Yep - it's still not exactly deal of the century though.....

http://www.manx-telecom.com/default.asp?id=107

I'm getting increasingly hacked off with MT's charges, big bills month after month and it's amazing how much stuff isn't covered by 2 x £25 mobile contracts. Simple things like the fact I hardly ever use any of my free minutes, but if my wife goes over we pay top dollar for the extra calls, when there are about six billion free minutes left on my number. Both mobiles are on the same effing bill, why not pool all the free texts and minutes together between the two numbers?

On top of that, I can only conclude that the bills themselves are deliberately designed to be an exercise in obfuscation, I really couldn't make sense of what I was paying for one month (it's only two mobiles and a landline on the same bill, and I'm not particularly stupid), so I asked in the shop, only to find that the staff in there couldn't work out what the bloody hell I was supposed to be paying for either.

I've already binned off MT as my ISP, when the mobile contracts come up for renewal I'll definitely be wandering down the road to see what deals Sure have on.

Yep - it's still not exactly deal of the century though.....

http://www.manx-telecom.com/default.asp?id=107

Yeah but "Pay As You Use tariff available to all Pay Monthly customers" .. which is basically the standard charge on the normal contract. Heh .. interesting to see that the "free data allowance" is really 50p in value. I feel so much more valued now ..

Seriously, if someone asked you for 25p to look at the home pages for http://www.iomtoday.co.uk or http://www.manxradio.com you'd think they were having a laugh

25P is 82kb of data?

Think you need to redo the math and check again from a mobile browser how much data is used to browse.

Web Page Speed Report

URL: www.manxradio.com

Title: :: Manx Radio :: The Isle of Man's Premier Radio Station ::

Date: Report run on Sat Oct 25 10:48:12EDT2008

Diagnosis

Global Statistics

Total HTTP Requests: 76

Total Size: 583129 bytes

Object Size Totals

Object type Size (bytes) Download @ 56K (seconds) Download @ T1 (seconds)

HTML: 18913 3.97 0.30

HTML Images: 303182 64.82 6.01

CSS Images: 92412 27.22 9.29

Total Images: 395594 92.04 15.3

java script: 148172 30.53 1.79

CSS: 20450 4.88 0.91

Multimedia: 0 0.00 0.00

Other: 0 0.00 0.00

So .. with a total size of 583k (ok I'm assuming 1000bytes is a K and rounding down) .. and data charges at 50p per 1000k .. that makes the cost of retrieving the page and all it's dependencies 29.15p (but I thought I'd be conservative and make that 25p for the sake of discussion)

Would love to know where you got the 82k for a complete web page from. Is that the figure MT use to calculate an "average page size" ?

Owen

From a phone browser not a pc browser, massive difference.

I also did a check to confirm the details, 18.4kb from my mobile for manxradio.com so it was alot less than i thought.

Well .. that is the size of the HTML needed to generate the page (from my previous post - HTML: 18913). Only way that could be an accurate representation of what you're paying MT is if it's not showing any images (or counting data transfer needed for the images)

Just tried it on Opera Mini and just looking at one of the images, say the TT button, is 64k of data. It still needs to download the entire image to render the page, even if it shows you a zoomed version of it.

So, I'm sticking to my original comment that just looking at the Manx Radio home page costs around 25p .. would love to learn otherwise

OWen

p.s. I do acknowledge that browsers are intelligent enough to cache what they can, but that's besides the point

Archived