Tony Brown Interviewed On Channel 4 News

Keith

tourist board will love it, the Isle looked lovely... guessing it wasn't filmed today!

Quite a reasonable, even handed coverage until John Snow said about the mysterious off shore tax havens and money laundering.

I thought we as an offshore 'tax haven' came over terribly on C4 news. Firstly Tony Brown just doesn't cut it for me in a situation like this. He looked and sounded like a shop keeper, not a leader. We need someone with confidence and business acumen to be the media profile for the Island and to start defending our corner and setting a few facts straight on how we are seen by the majority of the UK. And FFS Tony get a trim on the facial hair and buy a decent bloody suit!

The UK look like they are washing their hands of us and some of the comments worryingly anti IOM/Channel Islands. Thought the KSF action group guy had a few good words about us, but the S&F ex-employee interviewed on Douglas head with blacked out face and voice changed made us look even more shady!!

Quite a reasonable, even handed coverage until John Snow said about the mysterious off shore tax havens and money laundering.

"What are the Isle of Man, what are Jersey and Guernsey – they seem to have the most mysterious status…."

Perfectly reasonable question, and entirely relevant. Not one anyone has given a satisfactory answer to.

At that point the feed was interrupted, so I didn't get anything Snow said after this.

What I did just hear on the interim summary was:

"The Isle of Man’s Chief Minister says he holds the British Government responsible for the financial problems of the Island."

I find that bewildering. What is Tony Brown trying to achieve by this? Does he think saying this might mean the assets in the UK will be handed over by KSF UK's administrator any sooner? Is he warning of legal action against the UK as Iceland may (especially now talks between UK and Iceland have broken down). Isn't this only likely to do further damage to investor confidence in IoM? Does anyone have any idea what he's thinking?

Yes, there must be good authoratitive personality somewhere. I think David Callister would be pretty good, though if not him they certainly need to line someone up.

As I just said in the KSF thread, the UK/OECD are now being allowed to move this issue into a wholly different arena - and Mr Brown let us down badly, by underestimating the impact this is having, and not sending someone - a media savvy rep - (and not the ex SP media guy IMO) to put our case in the post report analysis on the programme.

If it is then he's probably explaining why he's giving away half our hard earned taxes.... http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/150-million...-for.4625544.jp

Tony Brown said on Manx Radio the other week that the New Hospital was built at virtually no cost to the taxpayer. The money it cost was from the National Insurance fund you see and was invested around the world

So I suppose all those £millions were kinda buckshee, or something.

Well, anyway, all these zero's are a bit difficult to get a grasp of, as one of our Tynwald members implied today. Perhaps when you run a country, £1million is much the same as £100million. It's only zeros innit.

David Cannan wanted the head of the FSC to answer a question in Tynwald but the house voted against him. The question was. Why did the FSC give KFS permission to transfer all its assets to London just days before it went Tits Up.

The question that should of been asked is did the head of the FSC or any member of Tynwald past or present withdraw funds from KFS

David Cannan wanted the head of the FSC to answer a question in Tynwald but the house voted against him. The question was. Why did the FSC give KFS permission to transfer all its assets to London just days before it went Tits Up.

The question that should of been asked is did the head of the FSC or any member of Tynwald past or present withdraw funds from KFS

Lee54, a very good point.

. . . . . this all reminds me of the SIB.

The UK look like they are washing their hands of us and some of the comments worryingly anti IOM/Channel Islands.

UK Treasury clearly said "Ultimate responsibility rests with Icelandic government." That statement was made because it was a response to Tony Brown saying he holds the British Government responsible for the Isle of Man's financial troubles.

Making it an IoM vs. UK issue is just plain dumb. It gives the impression that IoM's only chance is to take the kind of legal action that Iceland might take against the UK - but as John Snow pointed out, IoM has this 'mysterious status', and seeing Tony Brown on camera, does that inspire much confidence? Sadly I think Tony Brown has done far more harm than good.

Lee54, a very good point.

. . . . . this all reminds me of the SIB.

From Manx History.

Just before the Island Penny Bank went Bust and closed its doors, the Islands Bishop was noticed to be the last man out, struggling to carry a large leather bag. :lol:

From Manx History.

Just before the Island Penny Bank went Bust and closed its doors, the Islands Bishop was noticed to be the last man out, struggling to carry a large leather bag. :lol:

At least that didn't happen this time round .. they took £10.7m of government money and nobody was arsed to walk up the road and let them know in advance. It shows how times have changed.

Yes, there must be good authoratitive personality somewhere. I think David Callister would be pretty good, though if not him they certainly need to line someone up.

As taxpayers we are already paying high salaries for the marketing 'experts' to raise our profile in the international business world. NOW is the time we need them to earn their money defending us in the media.

I agree that David Callister could do a pretty good job of it too though.

Archived