[BBC News] Manx ferry sailings are cancelled

Newsbot

how come newsbot claims the heysham boat can get there and turnaround in less than 3 hours - is this an accurate report ?

if you look at the schedule there was a fastcraft sailing to Heysham today

they havn't said the Liverpool is affected, but looking at the day it looks like it will be a nice sailing

there was a huge number of trailers put on last night and a lot came off this morning, but outgoing looks like the top deck is well packed with cars, and a total of 580 pax !

post-1026-1224836908_thumb.jpg

Latest from the SP

Friday 24 Oct 2008

Douglas to Heysham-Departed at: 09:45

Expected arrival: 13:15

Heysham to Douglas-Cancelled: 12:15

Heysham to Douglas-Departure: 14:15

Expected arrival: 17:45

Douglas to Liverpool-Departure: 15:30

Expected arrival: 18:00

Liverpool to Douglas-Departure: 19:00

Expected arrival: 21:30

Douglas to Heysham-Departure: 19:45

Expected arrival: 23:15

Saturday 25 Oct 2008

Please see below the cancelled sailings for Saturday the 25th October 2008 due to Sever Gale Force Weather Conditions Forecasted.

Heysham to Douglas-Departure: 02:15

Expected arrival: 05:45

Douglas to Heysham-Cancelled: 08:45

Douglas to Liverpool-Cancelled: 10:00

Heysham to Douglas-Cancelled: 14:15

Liverpool to Douglas-Cancelled: 19:00

Douglas to Heysham-Departure: 20:00

Arrival at: 23:30

It would be interesting to know the percentage of Liverpool crossings that didn't happen this year. Three out of three trips I was booked on didn't go, though I am not suggesting that is typical.

It's one thing to blame the weather, but everybody knows what the weather can be like in the Irish Sea.

In my view, selling the Lady and replacing her with inappropriate craft had the effect of preventing the Packet from carrying out it's duties under the user agreement. They should get another all-weather vessel or have their licence revoked.

S

In my view, selling the Lady and replacing her with inappropriate craft had the effect of preventing the Packet from carrying out it's duties under the user agreement. They should get another all-weather vessel or have their licence revoked.

The user agreement basicallyrequires them to operate "fast craft". Considering how many postings there on the subject each year you would have thought we would have all known this by now!

Ah but the user agreement makes fast craft compulsory, the government isnsists on your behalf so the steam packet is saddled with them like it or not

Claeraly the best option new craft wise would be another Ben doing a daily to Liverpool able to take freight and cars and avfast craft on summer only lease in

We have two fast craft one with a 2 metre wave restriction, one with a three. The new one will have a three and a half and will repalce the two. If you see what I mean

The other problem is that the Viking (single hull, 2 metre waves only) is more economical per passenger mile and car mile carried when full than the twin hull as it carres more and uses less fuel so they prefer to use it.

The user agreement basicallyrequires them to operate "fast craft". Considering how many postings there on the subject each year you would have thought we would have all known this by now!

And what is the definition of fast craft? In my view, a vessel in harbour that cannot put to sea is the slowest craft of all.

S

Ah but the user agreement makes fast craft compulsory, the government isnsists on your behalf so the steam packet is saddled with them like it or not

Claeraly the best option new craft wise would be another Ben doing a daily to Liverpool able to take freight and cars and avfast craft on summer only lease in

We have two fast craft one with a 2 metre wave restriction, one with a three. The new one will have a three and a half and will repalce the two. If you see what I mean

The other problem is that the Viking (single hull, 2 metre waves only) is more economical per passenger mile and car mile carried when full than the twin hull as it carres more and uses less fuel so they prefer to use it.

I think the figures are actually 3m for Viking and 3.5m for Snaefell

Archived