Rnli

StevenW2

For those that didn't read it, this is from the link posted by manxy...

We expect that for widespread organisations like the RNLI this would be much cheaper than holding a separate licence for each channel at each location. We estimate that, based on the RNLI’s use, its fee under the new arrangements would be less than £20,000."

Don't get me wrong, the RNLI is the only charity that I regularly donate to (in fact, I asked for RNLI donations instead of wedding presents), but isn't this all a storm in a teacup? It looks to me like they would be a whole lot better off under the new proposals.

For those that didn't read it, this is from the link posted by manxy...

We expect that for widespread organisations like the RNLI this would be much cheaper than holding a separate licence for each channel at each location. We estimate that, based on the RNLI’s use, its fee under the new arrangements would be less than £20,000."

Don't get me wrong, the RNLI is the only charity that I regularly donate to (in fact, I asked for RNLI donations instead of wedding presents), but isn't this all a storm in a teacup? It looks to me like they would be a whole lot better off under the new proposals.

Seems to me they would be a lot better off paying nothing

I don't see why they shouldn't have to pay something. The tab could be picked up by the main beneficiaries of the lifeboat services, ie hobbyist sailors who often have their own foolish activities to blame for getting into difficulties.

I think you will find that a great many "hobbyist sailors" already contribute generously to the RNLI. Whether the Greek owners of Panamanian-registered death-traps do is another matter.

S

And it is quite possible for competent, experienced sailors to suddenly find themslves in deep trouble through no fault of their own.

That's the nature of the sea, it will kill you if it can.

Natures like that, no mercy and no second chances.

Maybe those radio hams who used to have to stump up £15 each year could send that money to the RNLI instead?

Seems odd that Ofcom have withdrawn the fee for the amateur radio licence, and then want to charge charities more...

I know I do.

along another 15 quid for my free vhf boat licence too.

Archived