Isle Of Man On T V

manxmedia

Sorry - been away. Just seen this classic on IOMONLINE

+++

Mr Turner is concerned the consultation is slanted towards the Border/Tyne Tees option.

Mr Turner filmed for Border under the auspices of his company, Manx Television. Its website says it still covers news for the station, although it has not for a number of years. Coverage for Border is now provided by Douglas-based Paul Moulton

+++

Check out www.manxtelevision.com

Im guessing that Mr Turner is still supplying ITV. So why does he want to go to Granada?

Comments please

Well I guess that like any sane person he is recognising that our cultural links are with the North West rather than the North East and therefore like wants us to join Granada.

What cultural links are there with the NW of England?

The Ben my Chree?

Comments please

Well, I was impressed that Jersey negotiated BBC 1 Channel Islands (Sky 988) for the local licence holders.

I thought ITV needed the cash and a grant to have a joint BBC and ITV media centre with the option of local employment, student placements and sector retraining opportunities could be useful. Pinewood Film Studios recently announced that they are expanding into TV production, adverts and video games as a "cluster" strategy with extensive independent suppliers on site.

Perhaps we could cluster our film, TV and video games ventures via the DTI Isle of Man Films, Chamber of Commerce, professional bodies, etc. and target an Isle of Man lot at Pinewood Film Studios!

Comments please

Well, I was impressed that Jersey negotiated BBC 1 Channel Islands (Sky 988) for the local licence holders.

I thought ITV needed the cash and a grant to have a joint BBC and ITV media centre with the option of local employment, student placements and sector retraining opportunities could be useful. Pinewood Film Studios recently announced that they are expanding into TV production, adverts and video games as a "cluster" strategy with extensive independent suppliers on site.

Perhaps we could cluster our film, TV and video games ventures via the DTI Isle of Man Films, Chamber of Commerce, professional bodies, etc. and target an Isle of Man lot at Pinewood Film Studios!

The cluster strategy makes a lot of sense as does developing IoM more as a media centre. The notion of having a presence at Pinewood strikes me as a very good thought. Much of the networking though is in the film and tv and games markets - Cannes, Banff, etc. Most of the marketing and deals are done through these networks and through working these. Having presence in Pinewood would enhance image and would likely be worthwhile in itself.

I'd also like to see IoM negotiate with the BBC to get them to set up the TV and radio broadcasting and programme production that they are obliged to do under the Charter. That would further boost IoM's media industries. Getting film and tv co-production agreements in place should also be a priority. I don't understand why IoM is so behind in this.

The cluster strategy makes a lot of sense as does developing IoM more as a media centre.

I recall that it was an early element in the Dubai strategy with the Dubai Media City to attract Microsoft, CNN, etc.

A few months ago, a PR agent explained to me that the BBC coverage had decreased since the relocation from London to Manchester due to office politics, regional quotas, etc. Coverage should be measured in hours and minutes and any issue should be proactively flagged by the Isle of Man Government with the BBC. The total licence fees received from the Isle of Man have only increased!

It does not bode well for any relocation from Border to Tyne Tees/Granada....

A few months ago, a PR agent explained to me that the BBC coverage had decreased since the relocation from London to Manchester due to office politics, regional quotas, etc. Coverage should be measured in hours and minutes and any issue should be proactively flagged by the Isle of Man Government with the BBC. The total licence fees received from the Isle of Man have only increased!

As I've said a few times on MF, the BBC Charter says the BBC ought to be doing a hell of a lot more than they are, and there should be a BBC TV and Radio station in IoM. IoMG don't however seem to be very interested in bringing BBC broadcast journalism and current affairs to IoM.

IoMG don't however seem to be very interested in bringing BBC broadcast journalism and current affairs to IoM.

Would you expect a turkey to vote for Christmas?

No - exactly.

But it doesn't hinge on a vote or IoMG taking steps. BBC have this obligation anyway - whether IoMG agree to it or not. (which they did incidentally by passing a broadcasting act which introduced the licence fee - though MHK's hadn't been presented with what it was they voted to adopt).

Of course the BBC aren't likely to do much if no one is making a stink about it. If people in IoM don't care that they are paying BBC licence fee, but not getting what they are entitled to in return, why should the BBC worry.

Archived