Isle Of Man On T V

manxmedia

Im guessing that Mr Turner is still supplying ITV. So why does he want to go to Granada?

Comments please

Er... he doesn't supply news to anybody. And he doesn't say he wants to go to Granada.

Thinking of bidding for the Border contract?

Juan DOES want the region to switch to Granada - he put a motion forward in Tynwald, and gained support from Douglas council:-

http://www.douglas.gov.im/shownews.asp?ID=2745

But why does he want to switch.... possibly something to do with a grudge against Border for not giving him the contract back to supply them with news perhaps!!! The idea of not getting a look-in on the Granada programme anyway due to the massively populated area they already cover doesn't seem to come into it strangely.

Juan DOES want the region to switch to Granada - he put a motion forward in Tynwald, and gained support from Douglas council:-

http://www.douglas.gov.im/shownews.asp?ID=2745

But why does he want to switch.... possibly something to do with a grudge against Border for not giving him the contract back to supply them with news perhaps!!! The idea of not getting a look-in on the Granada programme anyway due to the massively populated area they already cover doesn't seem to come into it strangely.

Shouldn't have to speculate why - he hasn't given any reasons why he thinks Granada would be better, but surely the rationale and reasons for backing that option should be set out. Maybe there's some very good and sound reason he's not telling which would convince everyone.

Has the possibility of IoM having it's own local news service and 'opting out' with switchover during regional newsbreaks been considered? You could still take main news items, both UK national and regional, but fit in whatever local news there is to be covered.

( :angry: - howls of 'if that were possible we'd already be doing it', so don't need to think about that, digital tv transmission etc., besides it would be too expensive to hire Stu Peters and a freelance videocameraman, no one has skills to be able to use a computer for video editing, the internet connection isn't fast enough, we couldn't complain about lack of coverage then, etc. etc.)

Commercial Television & Media of which Juan Turner is a Director no longer supplies ITV Border as stated. The reason Juan is opposed to Tyne Tees becoming the "regional" station for the Isle of Man and would prefer to see Granada is nothing to do with personal grudges (CTV did not wish to continue with the ITV Border contract) but is quiet simply because events in the Granada region are likely to be of interest to the island as opposed to what’s happening in Tyne Tees!

Personally I don’t watch ITV news but I’m sure Manchester / Liverpool is more relevant to locals than Tyne & Wear / North Yorkshire.

Sorry to spoil a good conspiracy story must resist next time.

I will not even go down the route of costs for an opt out option never mind the lack of riveting news.

I will not even go down the route of costs for an opt out option never mind the lack of riveting news.

Er - why? Is it because you are in opposed in principle to any news coverage of IoM, or perhaps believe it is a technical impossibility? Perhaps you just have a dogmatic view - "No, that is something we must not consider" (maybe to do with a kind of self-mortification that abhors the idea of not having impoverished news coverage?). Do please explain.

news events in the Granada region are likely to be of interest to the island as opposed to what’s happening in Tyne Tees!

And no doubt in your view anything is of more interest to the island than anything that might possibly happen on IoM. (like KSF, Iceland, Emergency landing, depositor protection scheme, Corkill case, kerbside recycling, nuclear submarines, local loveable pitbull terriers, milk price rises, or anything else that comes up in 'Local News Forums' - such as TV regions etc.).

Very considerate of you Broadcaster to want to see IoM gets the more interesting news events in the Granada region. But just what exactly are the sort of Granada region news events that are going to be of such interest? Do please explain.

Also, I'm curious, if you don't watch ITV news, why not, and what news do you watch, listen to or read?

Do many people really care about ITV regional programming these days? Does it really make any difference whether it's 2 minutes on Tyne Tees or 1 minute 40 secs on Granada; almost nobody here will be watching. And when it comes to the ads - I really don't care whether they are trying to tell me about a carpet sale in Cumbria, Newcastle or Granada.

ITV regionalism is an utterly irrelevant anachronism now that we have the internet. All the local news I need is basically here anyway.

I hardly ever switch on the TV anymore other than to use it as a screen. My way of doing things is becoming more and more typical and is the inevitable outcome which the planners mights as well focus on. Even my Radio 4 listening is mostly via podcasts these days.

PS - the internet, especially web video and sites like YouTube, have absolutely democratized the process of getting a message or a clip or a moment to an audience - whether that is millions or a niche. Maybe that's a cat doing some funny - or maybe it's something crucial and telling, which Sarah Palin or Gordon Brown said 12 mins into an in depth interview.

TV now largely follows the internet and reports what the internet is talking about. The results of this democratization of the media are likely to be seen in the US election where a record voter turn out is expected. More people are actually commenting, thinking and involved.

Regional ITV has never provided any in depth regional coverage about the IOM or anywhere else for that matter. It was always bland nonsense and a few voxpops. Who cares?

Regional ITV has never provided any in depth regional coverage about the IOM or anywhere else for that matter. It was always bland nonsense and a few voxpops. Who cares?

pongo - yes I agree with a lot of what you say, but... Firstly web video The democratizing process may do much, but it won't be 'to standards'. I have no trust in a You Tube video putting a message across about some conspiracy or other. There may be interviews with Palin and Brown, but were these independent and objective or their own PR? Sure there are 'web channels' which can project editorial integrity, but what regulations to ensure this, what Ofcom type regulatory supervisor, and what complaints system is there? In any case, this 'democratizing web tv' hasn't so far translated into coverage of IoM - where is the interview with Tony Brown, the footage of the Champ protest march along the prom, or statement by Minister?

If Regional ITV has never provided any in depth coverage of IoM, shouldn't IoM have its own 'regional news' - where it could do in depth coverage. After all, as many will say, there isn't that much going on, so the coverage could be very in depth.

Scheduled broadcast tv (and local radio for that matter too) is a dead format Skeddan. Or so inevitably almost dead that it might as well be dead already. Your arguments are for the history books and the birds.

If anything happens on the IOM it gets posted here. Sooner or later the people involved, or someone who knows them, will log on and give their side of the story.

Standards never much mattered. The free for all - which is self regulating - makes better sense in many ways. Regulation was always a hugely subjective process. TV and radio was always cooked to a formula. Now we have very much more content to pick and choose from. But we can still choose who we trust to filter what sources we choose to see.

And finally ...

PS. My point about YouTube was that people can pick out the specific bit that they want to focus on and re post that out of context, or whatever. Or they can decide where they put the context. So we can all be like the Sun now.

pongo - It would be good if schedule broadcast tv were dead, but it isn't. Note the roll out of digital tv - scheduled broadcast tv - at great expense. Yes it will be dead soon enough - possibly within 10 years - and it is 'inevitably dead'. But it isn't yet. It may be to you and me (I use 'on demand' and only occasionally record live tv to disk). But for lots of people it isn't dead. They may have PCs and broadband - to get email, check IM and Facebook, or browse sites for their hobbies, but they still watch tv, and watch news on tv. The latest news - broadcast live. In fact that is about the only live broadcast tv I watch - apart from a few sports events - which get huge live tv audiences still as well. Live braodcast tv will inevitably be dead - with live via internet, but it isn't yet, and wont be for a few years at least. Meantime....

"if anything happens it gets posted here". Not everyone follows MF for their daily news. Even if they did it isn't a substitute for 'real news'. When did the last interview with the Chief Minister on MF happen? Do 'Manxforum News' reporters get statements from UK Treasury on KSF, or get OFT, DAFF or FSC to comment? Do you really want to wade through it all to find if the skeet is reliable, and sift fact from fictions? Most of MF local news comes from BBC / Manx Radio / IoM Newspapers. Did MNFU put a post on Manxforums about the prince increase in milk? No. They gave a statement to the BBC.

There's some 'news' from elsewhere - but not a lot. And, if nothing else there are things that MF doesn't allow - even if not defamatory - just to stay out of 'legal trouble'. So it is more subject to self-censorship and gagging by threat than a tv broadcaster.

Besides pics are worth 1000 words, and moving pics can be most telling (the shifty look in the interview). There's not a lot of video podcasts covering IoM stories at present.

You mention podcasts from R4. I agree this is way to go. Or on demand via Internet - but these are still produced by 'braodcasters' with budgets and money to have full time journalists gathering news. The free for all has a place and is fantastic, but it is still immature. It is still free and no-budget or low budget (or 'sponsored' to be slanted). Online ad revenue isn't enough to support an online news service - not in UK or IoM at least.

Meanwhile what would be wrong with - for the time being - IoM having its own 'regional' news programme on ITV (also on the internet and 'on demand' together with other material as well). Or do you think it wouldn't make any difference if only had Grandada's regional news? Do you think there'd be absolutely no value at all from a local news programme?

Do you think there'd be absolutely no value at all from a local news programme?

Yes.

To clarfiy - you think there'd be absolutely no value at all from this for anyone - or are you just saying you yourself wouldn't get value from it.

There would be no net value.

Do you think there'd be absolutely no value at all from a local news programme?

Yes.

To clarfiy - you think there'd be absolutely no value at all from this for anyone - or are you just saying you yourself wouldn't get value from it.

There would be no net value.

Now I'm even more confused by what you mean. I thought you were saying there'd be absolutely no value whatsoever. It now seems you might be saying that you think value would not outweigh cost. Is this what you are now saying? (If not, please could you explain). If this is what you mean, what do you think the costs are? (financial figure, and other 'costs' - e.g. not seeing Granada regional news). Would it be worth it if Granada or someone else paid for it?

Skeddan, I know this thread must seem very weird to a New Zealander, but a large number of people in Mannin are not only totally disinterested in Manx agriculture, the Manx landscape, the Manx language, Manx history, Manx music and Manx news, they cringe at the very word 'Manx'. They have created a new vocabulary to avoid using the term; they use 'Isle of Man' as a replacement adjective. They cringe at anything about themselves and this island that is unique, and seem to be under the illusion that the Isle of Man is a county of England. Almost their entire cultural education comes from one other country's mass media. They greet the expansion of identikit housing estates with identikit supermarket and identikit no-skill jobs as progress. The only loyalty they know is brand loyalty, the only conversations they have are second hand opinions of mass media celebs. They prefer local news from North West England to local news from elsewhere because North West England is where their favorite soap operas and football teams are based. Sad isn't it. New Zealand was probably the same a few decades ago, but one look at the modern Kiwi Hakka and it is obvious that nowadays your country is proud of itself.

edited typo

Skeddan, I know this thread must seem very weird to a New Zealander, but a large number of people in Mannin are not only totally disinterested in Manx agriculture, the Manx landscape, the Manx language, Manx history, Manx music and Manx news, they cringe at the very word 'Manx'. They have created a new vocabulary to avoid using the term; they use 'Isle of Man' as a replacement adjective. They cringe at anything about themselves and this island that is unique, and seem to be under the illusion that the Isle of Man is a county of England. Almost their entire cultural education comes from one other country's mass media. They greet the expansion of identikit housing estates with identikit supermarket and identikit no-skill jobs as progress. The only loyalty they know is brand loyalty, the only conversations they have are second hand opinions of mass media celebs. They prefer local news from North West England to local news from elsewhere because North West England is where their favorite soap operas and football teams are based. Sad isn't it. New Zealand was probably the same a few decades ago, but one look at the modern Kiwi Hakka and it is obvious that nowadays your country is proud of itself.

Doesn't seem very weird to me at all - maybe less so than it might to you. 'Acculturative stress', dissociation, and generational effects of 'colonisation and trauma' are things people in NZ are probably more aware of than in IoM.

Interesting article in the Northern Echo (10th October 2008) on topic of local public service broadcasting - or Jonathan Ross.

With the recent Ross-Brand-Sachs debacle, the case it makes is even more pointed.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/search/37...Jonathan_Ross_/

The television offering is even worse, and set to deteriorate further with the changes announced by ITV, which will turn what was an almost credible local broadcast news operation into one which, like the BBC, is a regional one. Again, a region which covers the Isle of Man, the Scottish borders and the North-East is not a region which most people will identify with or recognise as a region in any common-sense way.

The reasons why ITV is doing this are understandable. Fragmenting and reduced revenues are a fact of life for all media organisations at the moment, not just broadcasters.

However, this puts the spotlight back on the BBC. As the country’s public service broadcaster, its responsibilities to provide a local broadcasting service seem to be losing out to bankrolling superstars like Jonathan Ross who, likeable and talented as he is, consumes a huge amount of the BBC’s licence fee budget.

Archived