Milk Price Up

bluemonday

Moo!

It's pointed out that since the last increase was made the cost of electricity has gone up 16 per cent, gas 30 per cent, fuel oil 53 per cent and motor fuel oil nearly 20 per cent.

Well that's alright then.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moo!

It's pointed out that since the last increase was made the cost of electricity has gone up 16 per cent, gas 30 per cent, fuel oil 53 per cent and motor fuel oil nearly 20 per cent.

Well that's alright then.

But cows produce gas, so that should bring the price down.

S

I know this is a milk thread, but the last loaf of bread I bought from Tesco across was 30p ..

Must remember to check the price of milk ;) Would double the number of things I can talk about at parties ...

I know this is a milk thread, but the last loaf of bread I bought from Tesco across was 30p ..

i bet that loaf had a sell by date on it too, not like the stale load of old shite I looked at this morning from our leading local producer. Why make bread with no sell by dates on the pack ... unless you know its already stale.

i bet that loaf had a sell by date on it too, not like the stale load of old shite I looked at this morning from our leading local producer. Why make bread with no sell by dates on the pack ... unless you know its already stale.

Hasn't the date always been on the yellow tape they use to seal it?

with the extra dosh do you think they can actually sell 2-pinters which won't LEAK !

If there's no room to stand them up in the fridge door as the previous ones aren't finished yet they have to lie flat on the shelves and they DRIBBLE even if I have given them another few clicks on the lid :(

I think we will be going for the M&S 2pt imported stuff with the extra seal under the lid, and cheaper too, unless they get their act together FAST :angry:

/rant

As rednik pointed out, Ramsey Bakery put best before/display until dates on the yellow tie. Although only a moron would actually need to refer to it to assess the freshness of a loaf. I quite like RB's products, and I'm a more discerning shopper than you I suspect.

I don't buy RB stuff on the principal that it travels 100 yds to my local supermarket and still costs more than delicious bread from across.

On receipt of the letter from the milk people I immediately faxed it back with 'CANCEL' written across it.

It appears that their argument is founded on the fact that they should pay the same price to their producers as the producers in the UK are paid. That would be a fair enough comment but for the fact that the milk produced locally has a very short shelf life compared to other milk that has been brought in from the UK. I believe that it might be that the dairies in the UK have daily collections of milk but the island doesn't. Therefore the island's milk is held until the tanker comes round to collect it and thereby not being quite as fresh as it could have been.

Increase the price by all means but provide better service and get the milk in the shops faster. I don't want to buy local produce on Friday that is out of date by Monday when the produce sitting right next to it on the shelf is cheaper, fresher and has a longer sell by / use by date.

I'll just buy the produce that has been shipped in and the local producers will get more money for their pint than they did before but they won't be selling as much of it as they were before. It'll cost more than it used to but they won't get the same sales as they had before.

Dunno why people think that the solution to their problem is to increase the prices and leave the standard to be less than the competitors.....

My own preference would be to have your own reusable milk container which you take to the shop to be filled up from a self- service dispenser (or pay a deposit at the shop to get a container if you don't have one with you). Milk could then be taken fresh from farm to shop by truck in milk urns or whatever. It would save a lot of too-ing and fro-ing, bottling, domestic waste disposal, costly recycling, leaky milk containers. etc.

Perhaps that might seem rustic and old-fashioned - and some would rather pay extra for the very little bit of extra convenience of having their milk pre-bottled in leaky plastic containers, but consider all the extra effort it takes to do this for you.

Archived