Milk Price Up

bluemonday

I've worked out this is going to cost me an extra £29 a year.

That sucks, how much is it to buy a cow? And how do you skim milk?

On second thoughts I'll pay the extra :D

Now that you've mentioned it, a Dexter Cow cost between £200 and £2,000. It stands no taller than a large German shepherd dog, gives 16 pints of milk a day that can be drunk unpasteurised, keeps the grass “mown” and will be a family pet for years before ending up in the freezer.

“If you’ve got a bit of land, a breed like the Dexter can work out a lot cheaper than the supermarket, plus they do a pretty good job of mowing the lawn.”

Maybe we could have the first Manxforums cow but then again, that has probably already been done......!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this a campaign to justify the cost rises?

Moo Too

I see that as the statement is a joint one that includes the Ministry of Agriculture they have the mandatory public service omission of the statement about "looking forward to the Government making sure that the 60% drop in oil cost will be reflected soon in significant reductions in the price of electricity, gas, fuel oil and motor fuel oil."

Now the price of pickled eggs, thats outrageous.......wibble.....

The statement also points out that since the last price rise for pickled eggs, electricity has gone up 16 per cent, gas 30 per cent, fuel oil 53 per cent and motor fuel oil 19 per cent.

It's an expensive world out there if you are an egg in a pickle...

It appears that their argument is founded on the fact that they should pay the same price to their producers as the producers in the UK are paid. That would be a fair enough comment but for the fact that the milk produced locally has a very short shelf life compared to other milk that has been brought in from the UK. I believe that it might be that the dairies in the UK have daily collections of milk but the island doesn't. Therefore the island's milk is held until the tanker comes round to collect it and thereby not being quite as fresh as it could have been.

Increase the price by all means but provide better service and get the milk in the shops faster. I don't want to buy local produce on Friday that is out of date by Monday when the produce sitting right next to it on the shelf is cheaper, fresher and has a longer sell by / use by date.

no milk is collect everyday mostly,

and you find that the english milk is well you call it fresh i would call it nuked to bits, milk from england has undergone more chemical reactions to make it last longer, but that takes all the gd bits out of it, so really your fresh milk you call it is to be honest like piss water, but u might like it like that each to there own

if the bloody stuff diden have to be pasturised it would stay fresher for longer

Increase the price by all means but provide better service and get the milk in the shops faster. I don't want to buy local produce on Friday that is out of date by Monday when the produce sitting right next to it on the shelf is cheaper, fresher and has a longer sell by / use by date.

I'll just buy the produce that has been shipped in and the local producers will get more money for their pint than they did before but they won't be selling as much of it as they were before. It'll cost more than it used to but they won't get the same sales as they had before.

Dunno why people think that the solution to their problem is to increase the prices and leave the standard to be less than the competitors.....

well u find the producer prob will get 1ppl thats liters not pints of the 4ppp to be fair,

I see that as the statement is a joint one that includes the Ministry of Agriculture they have the mandatory public service omission of the statement about "looking forward to the Government making sure that the 60% drop in oil cost will be reflected soon in significant reductions in the price of electricity, gas, fuel oil and motor fuel oil."

Related to the above, we also look forward to an associated fall in the price of milk.

Funny how the government always finds itself able to champion the cause of the same old bleating sectors of society. Who performs the same function for the hard-pressed consumer? The OFT?

I think that this will force the Island Milk producing farmer to have to go organic. I dont mind paying a little extra to buy Manx but this the gap is now too big. UK organic milk sold on the IOM is now a lot cheaper than Manx non organic therefore the Manx producers are going to have to join the club.

I think that the creamery is wasting money shipping plastic 1ltr cartons to the island - paying shipping costs for empty air. They need to be more efficient and go back to the days of supplying the larger cardboard cartons which can be shipped flat.

Also the farmers need to take some responsibility, if they are not using robotic automatic methods for milking their stock then they really need to consider their efficiency and decide if it is time for them to pull out and leave the milk market for the local farmers who have invested heavy to move with the modern times and methods.

Local milk should be a similar price as off island milk as what the off island producers save on economies of scale and lower fuel costs should be offset by the costs of shipping the milk to the Island.

if the bloody stuff diden have to be pasturised it would stay fresher for longer

What?

Pasteurisation is to increase the length of time the milk stays fresh.

no pasteuristion was for the purpose of destroying bacteria, protozoa, molds, and yeasts.

not to make it last longer,

and i can tell you now, a pint stight from a tank of milk of the farm will last longer than a pint in the shops

no pasteuristion was for the purpose of destroying bacteria, protozoa, molds, and yeasts.

not to make it last longer,

and i can tell you now, a pint stight from a tank of milk of the farm will last longer than a pint in the shops

And why do the bacteria, protozoa, molds, and yeasts need to be destroyed? Is it not because they are the primary causes of the milk becoming undrinkable?

Archived