Milk Price Up

bluemonday

no pasteuristion was for the purpose of destroying bacteria, protozoa, molds, and yeasts.

not to make it last longer,

and i can tell you now, a pint stight from a tank of milk of the farm will last longer than a pint in the shops

And why do the bacteria, protozoa, molds, and yeasts need to be destroyed? Is it not because they are the primary causes of the milk becoming undrinkable?

I suspect that someone is confusing pasteurisation with milk that has been irradiated; i.e. in which the vitamin D content has been increased by exposure to ultra violet rays to provide longer shelf-life.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that the creamery is wasting money shipping plastic 1ltr cartons to the island - paying shipping costs for empty air.

I guess this means that locally produced milk is incurring the same freight shipping cost as imported milk, so losing this competitive advantage of being locally produced. Because of inefficiencies in local production, higher prices can be charged for cheaper imported milk and it can still remain competitive. The creamery raising its prices accordingly will then probably lead to an upward spiralling of prices.

With the recycling scheme and 'next steps' looking to waste reduction and reuse, hopefully something might be done about this senseless waste and extra cost.

Maybe they might look at re-usable durable containers for 'rinse and return'. These could be collected at kerbside recycling and washed and sterilised locally for reuse. I'd think that investment would soon pay off, especially if one factors in cost of shipping used plastic containers overseas for recycling, as well as the cost of buying and shipping in new ones from overseas.

The bottle washing equipment isn't very expensive, and a container with just 25-50 reuses works out much the cheapest form of packaging AFAIK. It would make sense to evaluate other alternatives as well of course - such as milk bags, self-serve dispensers etc.

On the other hand this 'level playing field' with imports could be part of some warped strategy geared towards upward spiralling of prices through lack of competitive pressure. This means inefficiencies in local production are paid for by local and imported milk being overly expensive. So instead of prices reflecting what should be its true cost in an efficient market system, local dairy production can sustain its inefficiencies and can keep doing what they've always done - at everyone else's expense. (More likely though this is just an accidental 'benefit' that has helped keep the farming industry stagnant).

I think that the creamery is wasting money shipping plastic 1ltr cartons to the island - paying shipping costs for empty air.

I guess this means that locally produced milk is incurring the same freight shipping cost as imported milk, so losing this competitive advantage of being locally produced. Because of inefficiencies in local production, higher prices can be charged for cheaper imported milk and it can still remain competitive. The creamery raising its prices accordingly will then probably lead to an upward spiralling of prices.

With the recycling scheme and 'next steps' looking to waste reduction and reuse, hopefully something might be done about this senseless waste and extra cost.

Maybe they might look at re-usable durable containers for 'rinse and return'. These could be collected at kerbside recycling and washed and sterilised locally for reuse. I'd think that investment would soon pay off, especially if one factors in cost of shipping used plastic containers overseas for recycling, as well as the cost of buying and shipping in new ones from overseas.

The bottle washing equipment isn't very expensive, and a container with just 25-50 reuses works out much the cheapest form of packaging AFAIK. It would make sense to evaluate other alternatives as well of course - such as milk bags, self-serve dispensers etc.

On the other hand this 'level playing field' with imports could be part of some warped strategy geared towards upward spiralling of prices through lack of competitive pressure. This means inefficiencies in local production are paid for by local and imported milk being overly expensive. So instead of prices reflecting what should be its true cost in an efficient market system, local dairy production can sustain its inefficiencies and can keep doing what they've always done - at everyone else's expense. (More likely though this is just an accidental 'benefit' that has helped keep the farming industry stagnant).

yes bring back milk bottles!

Archived