Buying Local

johnquayleiom

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
now that the effects of the credit crunch are kicking in, do you really care abut buying local food with low food miles, or do you want what is cheapest for you and your family?

I already don't care and I'm going to care even less where food comes from. Why should I pay over the odds for a few carrots just because they have some local muck on them?

now that the effects of the credit crunch are kicking in, do you really care abut buying local food with low food miles, or do you want what is cheapest for you and your family?

I already don't care and I'm going to care even less where food comes from. Why should I pay over the odds for a few carrots just because they have some local muck on them?

Because the carrot farmer will have more money to spend on whatever you are selling.

And will pay more tax to help pay for whatever government services you use.

And will, through his own custom, help to increase the profits or reduce the losses of other businesses that you rely on, and don't want to see go bust.

And will remain employed, so your taxes don't have to pay his unemployment benefit and the other costs of being unemployed

And won't steal your wallet because he won't be starving.

And will be able to buy you a pint when you're next in the boozer.

Now is the time to support local business, and keep recession from the island.

S

Because the carrot farmer will have more money to spend on whatever you are selling.

And will, through his own custom, help to increase the profits or reduce the losses of other businesses that you rely on, and don't want to see go bust.

And will remain employed, so your taxes don't have to pay his unemployment benefit and the other costs of being unemployed

S

Sorry but how does paying totally outrageous prices for basic food make my life better?

The farmer will remain employed? How many are employed - surely all self employed and stuffed up to the arse in grants Are you stark raving mad?

the clue is in the name :D

S

Sorry but how does paying totally outrageous prices for basic food make my life better?

The farmer will remain employed? How many are employed - surely all self employed and stuffed up to the arse in grants Are you stark raving mad?

Oh dear. People who are self-employed are employed; people who have no paid work at all are unemployed. Now re-read what I wrote, and try to understand. It's not THAT complicated.

S

We buy both imported and local. Most of the time though we'll buy the cheapest, don't most people?

Definitely not, no. It's about quality, price and supporting the local economy. I won't pay over the odds for local stuff, but you really don't have to.

We buy both imported and local. Most of the time though we'll buy the cheapest, don't most people?

No! I don't buy anything that comes from the other side of the globe - especially meat products. I'd rather not eat chicken or eggs if they're not free range, or any animals that aren't raised in a humane way.

Definitely not, no. It's about quality, price and supporting the local economy. I won't pay over the odds for local stuff, but you really don't have to.

My criteria are quality first, and provenance second. Price comes well third. If stuff of good quality is available locally I'll buy it in preference to something imported, but if the local stuff is no good, I won't buy it even if it's cheaper.

On the whole, local produce is fine, if you can get it. But there are exceptions; I'm not impressed by local bakers.

S

My criteria are quality first, and provenance second. Price comes well third.

All I can say is that it must be nice to be able to afford that luxury. I'm currently very skint, in future I'm likely to be even more skint the way our offshore economy looks to have been f**ked up last week. I think huge numbers of people are in the same boat and therefore I really couldn't care. Price is top of my criteria everything else is second really.

My criteria are quality first, and provenance second. Price comes well third.

All I can say is that it must be nice to be able to afford that luxury. I'm currently very skint, in future I'm likely to be even more skint the way our offshore economy looks to have been f**ked up last week. I think huge numbers of people are in the same boat and therefore I really couldn't care. Price is top of my criteria everything else is second really.

Quality is not the same as expensive or extravagant. Nor just about what tastes nice - though that is important. It's also about what's good for you. I seldom buy ready meals or any other sort of processed food. Raw, simple and natural is what I go for. People who buy cheap ready-meals probably spend more money, but get less value. And less pleasure.

S

Archived