Buying Local

johnquayleiom

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To an extent I agree and invariably I support the local butcher & baker.

I am lucky in that I presently have a reasonable income and accordingly my priority is quality rather than price. However I also believe in value for money so I will not pay silly money.

What I object to is this message about buying Manx as if that is all that matters. Yes I am prepared to support such a message but in return the providers have to provide a quality product. Yes some provide a quality product but some do not and we have to get away from the parochcial attitude that just because it is Manx it must be top quality when it frequently is not.

That is a frequent rant though of mine in that we are at times are very insular and boast of the quality of our beaches, scenery, food, quality of life etc as if they are unsurpassed. Why I all for singing our own praises there is a danger when you start believing your own publicity and stop looking at matters objectivly. I feel that at times we are getting that way with food production in that the quality is not necessary as good as we believe it to be when compared to other products available

Personally I would far rather see local shops kept in business, even if it does mean paying a few pence more for some local produce.

For some people - especially older citizens who can't drive to the supermarket the local shop is their 'cultural center' - it's a place they might visit two or three times a day, catch up with their friends, have a bit of a gossip and pick up their groceries etc.

If the local shop goes, what happens to the rest of the community that don't have the means to drive, don't have the strength to carry a bunch of shopping bags home on the bus from a supermarket?

The whole 'buying local' thing for me isn't just about supporting farmers, flour mills, suppliers, distributors - it's about supporting the whole community.

Presumably your partner/spouse is also working so you don't have to worry about price as much as me as a single person on less than half your wages. Granted I don't have a family to pay for but that is both our choices but I still have bills such as rent, electricity etc. to pay for.

Sadly not. One income family.

OK, but £39,000.00 plus is still a bloody good wage. You can afford not to worry greatly about price. Many others of us cannot.

If the local farmers got together and formed a co-operative and sold meat and veg in a shop they ran they could bring the retail price down by not going through third parties and people would buy the local produce as it would be fresher and better than you buy in supermarkets and hey ho everyone is happy. The farmers would get more money as they would get the full sale price rather than the middleman, the customer would get better produce and the economy would benefit because people would buy locally.

Not difficult. Just takes someone to get the ball rolling, but no, the farmers would rather maintain the status quo and keep whinging about how bad the life is. My heart bleeds. If they are not prepared to do something about it then I am not prepared to take any notice of their complaints.

well im glad you got it all sorted then maybe we should make u a MHK as you fit perfect :rolleyes:

maybe you should go and read a bit about the subject b4 you start to say things you really dont know anything about,

because your plan could never work 100% for meat for a start, the veg thing well a little bit easyer to do, but not much,

couple of quastions for you to answer, i would like you to please

how many millions do you think it would cost to start this up,

how can u cut the middle man out, who is the middle man u are meaning,

Let's be clear - you were saying the 'concession' (which over time has become a loophole) exists because it is uneconomic to collect. From what I gather this wasn't even the original reason for this EU regulation. Regardless of why it was originally introduced, the reason it exists today is that it is difficult to change or derogate from EU regulations.

I don't want to prolong this too much further, but what was the reason for the concession if not because small amounts are uneconomical to collect?

S

To an extent I agree and invariably I support the local butcher & baker.

I am lucky in that I presently have a reasonable income and accordingly my priority is quality rather than price. However I also believe in value for money so I will not pay silly money.

What I object to is this message about buying Manx as if that is all that matters. Yes I am prepared to support such a message but in return the providers have to provide a quality product. Yes some provide a quality product but some do not and we have to get away from the parochcial attitude that just because it is Manx it must be top quality when it frequently is not.

That is a frequent rant though of mine in that we are at times are very insular and boast of the quality of our beaches, scenery, food, quality of life etc as if they are unsurpassed. Why I all for singing our own praises there is a danger when you start believing your own publicity and stop looking at matters objectivly. I feel that at times we are getting that way with food production in that the quality is not necessary as good as we believe it to be when compared to other products available

Agree with all that. Manx goods need to be good if they are to deserve our support.

S

Manners on this forum are bad enough already without you and I adding to the problem.

Cheers

S

Indeed they are.It is a little sad that you can't spread a little knowledge or enquire about certain things without people talking down to you.

Off to Shoprite now , to support our local manx businesses Yessir ;)

I would have thought a shop-keeper registered for VAT would have been a little bit better informed than you were. But if you felt I talked down to you, I apologise.

I have great sympathy for small shop-keepers trying to provide a service in an Internet-dominated world. But, as another poster pointed out, the world moves on and what was a good business yesterday may not be good today. We have to adapt to survive.

S

If the local farmers got together and formed a co-operative and sold meat and veg in a shop they ran they could bring the retail price down by not going through third parties and people would buy the local produce as it would be fresher and better than you buy in supermarkets and hey ho everyone is happy. The farmers would get more money as they would get the full sale price rather than the middleman, the customer would get better produce and the economy would benefit because people would buy locally.

Not difficult. Just takes someone to get the ball rolling, but no, the farmers would rather maintain the status quo and keep whinging about how bad the life is. My heart bleeds. If they are not prepared to do something about it then I am not prepared to take any notice of their complaints.

well im glad you got it all sorted then maybe we should make u a MHK as you fit perfect :rolleyes:

maybe you should go and read a bit about the subject b4 you start to say things you really dont know anything about,

because your plan could never work 100% for meat for a start, the veg thing well a little bit easyer to do, but not much,

couple of quastions for you to answer, i would like you to please

how many millions do you think it would cost to start this up,

how can u cut the middle man out, who is the middle man u are meaning,

The middleman being the supermarket buyers. I can't imagine the few farmers who attend the sporadic farmers' markets sell all the vegetables grown on the island so presumably the others are going to supermarkets.

I don't think this would cost millions to set up. How much would it cost to rent a shop or warehouse to sell the produce? Transport costs would be minimal as it is only on-island.

I agree the meat would be a problem at present but when the Government supported monopoly ends in 2011 then the farmers could arrange for animals to be slaughtered and sold themselves.

Watch Countryfile to see that things can be changed with effort and a willingness to change the status quo.

If people wanted to do it they could without having to throw long pounds at it.

The middleman being the supermarket buyers. I can't imagine the few farmers who attend the sporadic farmers' markets sell all the vegetables grown on the island so presumably the others are going to supermarkets.

yes most are, theres a few farmers have contracts with say shops chippys etc

I don't think this would cost millions to set up. How much would it cost to rent a shop or warehouse to sell the produce? Transport costs would be minimal as it is only on-island.

one quastion on that, how would u make sure that u got the volume of ppl there in the first place,

i cant see a lot of ppl going down to tescos,shoprite to buy there normal goods, and walking past all the fruit veg meats, and saying to themselfs i know i get them somewhere eles,, some will but not a lot,

the shop would have to be quite big, with parking closeish to town cant see that happining

I agree the meat would be a problem at present but when the Government supported monopoly ends in 2011 then the farmers could arrange for animals to be slaughtered and sold themselves.

only if thay issure a liscence for a new slaughter house, which i dont think will ever happin, thay wont at the moment

Watch Countryfile to see that things can be changed with effort and a willingness to change the status quo.

If people wanted to do it they could without having to throw long pounds at it.

ha ha countryfile, it used to be a gd program that, but it tends to just show the gd side of things, never hits on the real topic of the needs of farmers or why there in the state the farmers are now, like it used to

makes farming look happy and gd, and hides the problems away

dont listern to all you see on the tv

"Quastion" what a brilliant word ! It even reads like the way a farmer would pronounce it!

You must be a farmer Gazza> :D

ha ha close but not quite right, ex farmer but still involved in it,

question is that better ( i know how if you dont spell perfectly on here you never make it in the real world), i type 2 fast but o well

Presumably your partner/spouse is also working so you don't have to worry about price as much as me as a single person on less than half your wages. Granted I don't have a family to pay for but that is both our choices but I still have bills such as rent, electricity etc. to pay for.

OK, but £39,000.00 plus is still a bloody good wage. You can afford not to worry greatly about price. Many others of us cannot.

Not if your spending a quarter of it on bloody food it isn't. By the time power, heat, electric, petrol and other stuff is taken into account I live on about £2,500 a year. Its f**king rubbish. Still I'd be happy to pay more for vegetables delivered in the back of a local farmers own Range Rover Vogue so its done less food miles.

The original thread was "Can you afford to spend more on local food in the current climate". Clearly not ....

Not if your spending a quarter of it on bloody food it isn't. By the time power, heat, electric, petrol and other stuff is taken into account I live on about £2,500 a year. Its f**king rubbish. Still I'd be happy to pay more for vegetables delivered in the back of a local farmers own Range Rover Vogue so its done less food miles.

The original thread was "Can you afford to spend more on local food in the current climate". Clearly not ....

but i bet you can affored to buy your new plasma tv, and your nice car, and 3 hols a year

Archived