[BBC News] Man is charged after drugs raid

Newsbot

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A man from the Onchan area is charged with possession of class A drugs and intent to supply.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7691797.stm

I don't see why anyone would these pills. Why would anyone take ecstacy on the Isle of Man? It's something that is taken in clubs, but the Isle of Man doesn't really have any.

Feel sorry for this guy getting caught though and think it completely wrong that he is going down. I mean ecstacy is nowhere near damaging to a person's health as alcohol and maybe even cannabis. Placing it in the Class A category is wrong.

Sgt Mike Crompton, of Manx police, said officers would continue to tackle those who misused controlled substances.

Misused? Did someone chew one or put one in their eye? No, they won't be misused at all. The majority of drug users know exactly how to use their gear.

A man from the Onchan area is charged with possession of class A drugs and intent to supply.

I don't see why anyone would these pills. Why would anyone take ecstacy on the Isle of Man? It's something that is taken in clubs, but the Isle of Man doesn't really have any.

Feel sorry for this guy getting caught though and think it completely wrong that he is going down. I mean ecstacy is nowhere near damaging to a person's health as alcohol and maybe even cannabis. Placing it in the Class A category is wrong.

Sgt Mike Crompton, of Manx police, said officers would continue to tackle those who misused controlled substances.

Misused? Did someone chew one or put one in their eye? No, they won't be misused at all. The majority of drug users know exactly how to use their gear.

18 grand worth of drugs and you feel sorry for him and think he should walk? How Bizarre???

18 grand worth of drugs and you feel sorry for him and think he should walk? How Bizarre???

In answer to whether it is bizarre: I think not. I don't see what different it makes him having £18,000 worth of drugs or any other amount, he buys in bulk and then sells it. Though simply generalising about drugs as if ALL illegal drugs are therefore bad and should not be sold or taken is to trust too much in the bad judgement of those who created such laws. The article said it was ecstacy, it is hardly as if heroin or crack has been found. But unfortunately, it is classified 'A' which is just puzzling and really makes little sense of drug laws. I feel sorry for this guy because he is doing the same as an off license, yet gets punished for it because of stupid laws.

In answer to whether it is bizarre: I think not. I don't see what different it makes him having £18,000 worth of drugs or any other amount, he buys in bulk and then sells it. Though simply generalising about drugs as if ALL illegal drugs are therefore bad and should not be sold or taken is to trust too much in the bad judgement of those who created such laws. The article said it was ecstacy, it is hardly as if heroin or crack has been found. But unfortunately, it is classified 'A' which is just puzzling and really makes little sense of drug laws. I feel sorry for this guy because he is doing the same as an off license, yet gets punished for it because of stupid laws.

you mean stupid drug dealers really, not stupid laws. defending a drug dealer?? pathetic.

i too was wondering WTF dolce vita was gibbering on about. perhaps a friend? but i have all to often read about teenagers dying on their first ever tab of E that tough sentences should be the norm.

The classification of ecstasy as Class A is truly preposterous, everyone knows it's insane (including the coppers) but nothing ever changes, and in the meantime we see young people getting sent to jail for large chunks of their lives for selling a drug that is less dangerous to the user/society than alcohol or tobacco.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5230006.stm

Do something interesting today, consider educating yourself instead of spouting the same old nonsensical knee-jerk Daily Mail reactions as usual.

http://www.ecstasy.org/index.html

The classification of ecstasy as Class A is truly preposterous, everyone knows it's insane (including the coppers) but nothing ever changes, and in the meantime we see young people getting sent to jail for large chunks of their lives for selling a drug that is less dangerous to the user/society than alcohol or tobacco.

You may be right. However, deliberately getting arrested and subsequently charged with bringing a large quantity of pills to the marketplace is, as a strategy for change, ineffective and not a little foolish. Lol... ; ))

im not really botherd, if ppl want to do them thats fine, if thay dont thats fine,

but the fact remains it is a class A drug, the ppl selling this know this thay know the risks, so its there owen fault really,

not the ppl that set the laws only themselfs,

thay see a market thay see a profit and thay go for it, its a chance you take to deal in drugs, you win some u lose some,

such is life

i too was wondering WTF dolce vita was gibbering on about. perhaps a friend? but i have all to often read about teenagers dying on their first ever tab of E that tough sentences should be the norm.

Oh yes, no doubt you have picked up upon the hyped up dangers to teenagers because of the evil drug ecstacy. News stories of people dying of ecstacy are not that common, and when they do occur is because the pill has been adulterated with some poison, which would not happen if such drugs were legalised and does not mean ecstacy itseld is dangerous. All you have to do is compare the deaths and damage that alcohol causes in our society and realise that comparatively ecstacy is not as dangerous. If people are permissive about the drinking culture they live in then they are complete idiots to condemn other drugs simply because they have been told by their legal system and the police that they are bad.

Who exactly has died from using ecstacy?

There was the Leah Betts thing when she drank that much water on ecstacy that she basically drowned herself, the media picked up on this and gave the impression that ecstacy was the problem.

you mean stupid drug dealers really, not stupid laws. defending a drug dealer?? pathetic.[/quote

Yeah, why not defend the drug dealer and how is it pathetic? I do not condone the type of society we live in where people feel a strong urge to get wasted and do drugs, but if that society exists and people want to indulge in drugs then that is their decision. I don't see why the dealer needs to take the blame. Besides you bang up one dealer and another takes his place to monopolise the whole market

I agree to a certain extent, but only because if people want drugs they'll just get them from somewhere else and if he had 18K's worth i'm guessing thats going to push the prices up for what is an alreadly expensive drug, either that or they'll be crap quality batches getting pushed out in order to met demand.

Its class A because it effects different people in different ways, so some people could take it some all day and be fine (ie know their limit like alcohol) but somebody else could suffer seriously, vomiting, heart attack, stroke etc..

Whether Ecstacy is dangerous or not is irrelevant.

Whether or not it should or should not be it is classified as a Class A drug.

If you choose to transgress the law and get caught then take the punishment. End of.

what he said ^^^^^^

Its class A because it effects different people in different ways, so some people could take it some all day and be fine (ie know their limit like alcohol) but somebody else could suffer seriously, vomiting, heart attack, stroke etc..

But that is the same with all drugs. Some people have a severe reaction to quite mild drugs and even this mild drugs can be toxic in large amounts.

What you had was a lot of media hype about raving and that the people attending rave were on a new drug. And then you had a few deaths related to the taking of ecstacy but not always actually due to the ecstacy. So the government wants to have control over that situation which they do not understand nor care to and satisfy the ignorant concerns of the general public and media and then ban it. It is the same with LSD and Magic Mushrooms. Why magic mushrooms are Class A I really do not know, such gross stupidity and so unjust.

Whether Ecstacy is dangerous or not is irrelevant.

Whether or not it should or should not be it is classified as a Class A drug.

If you choose to transgress the law and get caught then take the punishment. End of.

Well you are right in saying that in our society if you break and law and get caught there will be bad consequences. But this is not the point. Simply because a law exist that I find disagreeable does not mean that that law is still right or should even be heeded.

Archived