Talking Heads And Mf

Lee54

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard the tail end of the program this morning and Mr Peters mentioned something about Manx Forums being a place to learn bad language, whats the full story ?

It may be bad language, but nothing wrong in calling a fuckwit a fuckwit even if he is a politician. It could be Manx Radio were recommending their listeners go to Manx Forums to extend their political vocabulary.

Anyone care to compile a list of a few simple words and phrases for those wanting to learn?

I'm a great fan of MF and give it a positive plug whenever I can.

Actually, this was a text from a listener opining that you see worse on here than you do on the telly. I made the point that in the old days you only HAD radio/telly, but with t'internet anybody can access pretty much anything at any time. One of the factoids I quoted as an example was that anyone can watch stuff on the BBC i-player wotsit just by checking the 'I'm over 16' box.

I also mentioned that I can swear like a trooper when it's appropriate, but that I have an inner switch that means I can turn it off in front of kids and the vicar. One woman emailed me about being in the shops yesterday and a bloke was loudly using the most brutal language in front of his 7 year-old daughter (and everyone else in the shop). What a cu... (there's that switch again).

Most sweary programme was Jamie Oliver at 9pm. Lots of kids would be watching that, and I'm sure it caused much embarrassment. Jonathan Ross at 10.35pm was right up there too, but to me that's late enough not to matter.

Most sweary programme was Jamie Oliver at 9pm. Lots of kids would be watching that, and I'm sure it caused much embarrassment. Jonathan Ross at 10.35pm was right up there too, but to me that's late enough not to matter.

I noticed one bloke commented about the lyrics in some of the songs Manx Radio play. The other day Manx Radio played Common People / Pulp either just before or just after 9am, perhaps when parents were dropping their kids off at school.

This contains the lines

You'll never watch your life slide out of view, and dance and drink and screw

Because there's nothing else to do.

It doesn't bother me as it's probably in my top 50 favourite songs, but I wonder if any parents had to explain what screwing was to their young children as a result of it?

I noticed one bloke commented about the lyrics in some of the songs Manx Radio play. The other day Manx Radio played Common People / Pulp either just before or just after 9am, perhaps when parents were dropping their kids off at school.

This contains the lines

You'll never watch your life slide out of view, and dance and drink and screw

Because there's nothing else to do.

It doesn't bother me as it's probably in my top 50 favourite songs, but I wonder if any parents had to explain what screwing was to their young children as a result of it?

There's a version which blanks out "and screw" - probably only for the US market. (Yes - brilliant song).

My favourite lyrics victim to being blanked out was Bewitched 'C'est la vie' . where "playing with your toys" was blanked:

Do you play with the girls, play with the boys?

Do you ever get lonely playing with your toys? (ah oh)

:D (Classic! - and brilliant adding the 'ah oh')

Very few people really pay attention to lyrics or to images in videos. Snap 'Oops Up' was played on Top of the Pops. Have a look at the music video TOTP played - studio version - note the phallic imagery at the sections marked in bold in second verse - hand yanking a big red handle on a lever (as well as bursts of steam and other such puns). I don't think it caused any embarrassment, just a few smirks. Besides what's embarassing - if it needs explaining it's only sex education.

Me and Amy under the covers

Scene is hot potential lovers

Demon in the sack is her reputation

In school then she is graduation

Touching holding heavy breathing

I knew I'd get it she is not about teasing

Left on the light so I could see reaction

Amy is a freak guaranteed satisfaction

She is soft as bubble bath

I am as hard as chinese math

Ready for the ultimate affection

Took out a pack obtain my protection

Rolled it on one hard stroke

It was my last and yes it broke

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nL8dNmNvfEc&...feature=related

1982 - April Wine - If You See Kay :D With quick edits images to underscore double meanings ("if u seek" on numberplate etc.)

Then of course there's the Simpsons, Captain Pugwash, etc. etc. - always fun slipping through under the noses of the censor. (I think often the censor is savvy - they let it go if they think it won't get noticed and howled at by the moral majority or Mary Whitehouse type brigade - the kind who think we should only have Bowlder's version of Shakespeare - if at all). So rather then tell them to fuck off, it's more entertaining to make fun of it all by slipping it past them.

If anybody wanted to try to get an understanding of how the liberal but inappropriate use of expletives in everyday language seriously reduces the emphatic impact that is the desired effect when the more literate of the board use them, then they could do a lot worse than peruse Manx Forums for a while. And while they were at it, they might want to ponder the peculiar practice of self-censorship. Wh*t the fuck is t*at all a**ut??? Lol,lol. ; )))

The video for "Why Can't I Be You?" by The Cure was shown on TOTP (and a number of other shows).

I never thought about it at the time but they managed to sneak in not only the absolute worst expletive know to man or beast but also a simulation of a ladies' genital area. Well done.

The video for "Why Can't I Be You?" by The Cure was shown on TOTP (and a number of other shows).

I never thought about it at the time but they managed to sneak in not only the absolute worst expletive know to man or beast but also a simulation of a ladies' genital area. Well done.

That might give a clue to what the song is about.

I'll run around in circles

'Til I run out of breath

I'll eat you all up

Or I'll just hug you to death

You're so wonderful!

Too good to be true!

You make me

Make me hungry for you

:P:rolleyes:

What was the thing at the end of one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies - which squirted all over Johnny Depp? Someone had to be having a laugh trying to get away with a giant vagina creature. I think people get embarrassed and when they know it's rude or something part of their brain blocks it out.

Thanks for setting it straight about the Pugwash myth.

Archived