Talking Heads And Mf

Lee54

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, this was a text from a listener opining that you see worse on here than you do on the telly. I made the point that in the old days you only HAD radio/telly, but with t'internet anybody can access pretty much anything at any time. One of the factoids I quoted as an example was that anyone can watch stuff on the BBC i-player wotsit just by checking the 'I'm over 16' box.

More important to make sure your kids know what's appropriate to say rather than worry too much about what they hear. They'll pick up plenty of bad language just walking through strand street on a saturday afternoon. Mine are pretty good at acting deaf when people are swearing, and they'll never swear in front of us.

What goes on in the playground though is anyones guess :)

Oh, and talking of music, they're self-regulating there too. You have to hear em singing the new kings of leon song to believe it, all of em roaring 'OOOOOOOOH, Your socks are on fire!', its superb!

Most sweary programme was Jamie Oliver at 9pm. Lots of kids would be watching that, and I'm sure it caused much embarrassment. Jonathan Ross at 10.35pm was right up there too, but to me that's late enough not to matter.

I noticed one bloke commented about the lyrics in some of the songs Manx Radio play. The other day Manx Radio played Common People / Pulp either just before or just after 9am, perhaps when parents were dropping their kids off at school.

This contains the lines

You'll never watch your life slide out of view, and dance and drink and screw

Because there's nothing else to do.

It doesn't bother me as it's probably in my top 50 favourite songs, but I wonder if any parents had to explain what screwing was to their young children as a result of it?

And the problem is that some people are so uptight that explaining it would be seen to be a shocking thing to do to a child.

They'll pick up plenty of bad language just walking through strand street on a saturday afternoon.

Yeah...'How f***king much?'.

Worse still is they can't spell or even swear properly.

Yeah...'How f***king much?' = Yeah...'How fuckking much?'. (?)

Slim I agree - kids will pick it up and for them to know not to use it etc. is what is important. Otherwise you could try ECT treatment to zap any trace of a memory of a swear word and make their little heads clean and pure again.

(Isn't there some New Testament thing about corruption not being what goes into the mouth but what comes out?)

I don't think 'oh shit' or 'this is my shit' are offensive or should require parental guidance (the latter is just a slang term anyway).

'Bugger' - part of normal language. Played on TV ads. (Maybe just part of NZ English though)

It's incredible how uptight people are about bodily functions, human biology, and everyday coarse language that is part of our language (There's a fair number of places where swearing is normal in the office and boardrooms - probably far more so with the recent financial crisis).

They'll pick up plenty of bad language just walking through strand street on a saturday afternoon.

Yeah...'How f***king much?'.

Worse still is they can't spell or even swear properly.

Yeah...'How f***king much?' = Yeah...'How fuckking much?'. (?)

F***k you.

...and f******k Blackberries too.

There is a time and a place maybe for bad language, but not in front of the kids. If the F word is acceptable to most then why is it an offence to use it in front of a policeman ?.

I didn't think it is an offence to use it in front of a policeman - it could well be an offence to tell a policeman to 'fuck off' or otherwise verbally abuse them. If so, probably because they are officers of the Crown and represent the sovereign, and this is a kind of breach of allegiance by refusal to recognise their proper authority in performance of their official duties, and thus breaching the peace. That I'd think was the original rationale - more generally it would probably now simply be under some Act dealing with Public Disorder.

There is a time and a place maybe for bad language, but not in front of the kids. If the F word is acceptable to most then why is it an offence to use it in front of a policeman ?.

That your mantra for raising kids? Only allow what's appropriate in front of a policeman?

I have started to listen to talking heads recently and have been enjoying the topics.Pity that twat know it all Brian from Greeba phones in with his told you so's but there you go.

I think im turning Japanese always makes me smile when I hear it on the radio.Any chance you could slip it in on tomorrows show Stu?

A question to Stu himself if I might...

Was it any coincindence that you played Christina Aguilera on talking heads today?

When I heard it I thought it must've been something to do with this thread. It's not often I hear a modern song for the first time on Manx Radio.

Keep up the good work.

A question to Stu himself if I might...

Was it any coincindence that you played Christina Aguilera on talking heads today?

When I heard it I thought it must've been something to do with this thread. It's not often I hear a modern song for the first time on Manx Radio.

Keep up the good work.

:lol::lol:

(although I did laugh the middle of last week when the guy texted in to the breakfast show amazed that Alex Brindley had a girlfriend, and he spent at least 3 minutes angrily arguing that he did and that he didn't have to pay her either !!!!) The listeners (all 15 of them) must have been pissing themselves. I tried to get a clip but sadly its not on the website.

Archived