Talking Heads And Mf

Lee54

I have started to listen to talking heads recently and have been enjoying the topics.Pity that twat know it all Brian from Greeba phones in with his told you so's but there you go.

His air time should be rationed to 1 minute per month (or better still, per year). I think that other gobshite, Roy something from Port Erin, used to get rationed on the old Mannin Line.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to think the same about Roy, but I now realise that he talks a lot of sense and is very well researched. Also he is not a smart arse like some of them are.

In any case, I am sure Stu Peters would be happy to have more different callers on.

Better Roy, Brian . . . and dare I say it that über of boring bloke-down-pub type opinions on everything under the sun David Mc-sometthing . . . than no callers at all.

I always took calls from Marje with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation. What few people realised was that she was playing a game (although often with a serious point in mind) in winding up radio presenters.

Her reputation preceded her - in 2000 I was doing a bit of taxi driving and the base operator sent me to pick Marje up at home. The other boys all blew in on their radios that I was in for trouble, and I was - Marje gave me hell for not being Manx and coming over to steal jobs from proper Manx people. I told her I was REALLY here to steal women too, which made her tut even more!

On the Mannin Line she called once in response to something I'd said, and as I put her on air I said something like "here's Marje who will probably tell me it's none of my business 'cos I'm not Manx" - but she swerved expertly and said this: m2.wav

I was SO gobsmacked I kept the clip - and the following week she phoned in to lambast me about something else...so I played that clip back to her on air!

She had a real twinkle in her eye the couple of times I met her, and loved the banter and catching people out.

I have rather different memories of Marge as the secretary at the C of FE and as something to do with the MSPCA. In both roles there was no twinkle, quite the reverse. Sure, she was a 'character' contributor to the Mannin Line and, sure, she was a staunch supporter of the Manx people and way of life, not the Manx establishment. But I also am aware of another side to her.

I always took calls from Marje with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation. What few people realised was that she was playing a game (although often with a serious point in mind) in winding up radio presenters.

Her reputation preceded her - in 2000 I was doing a bit of taxi driving and the base operator sent me to pick Marje up at home. The other boys all blew in on their radios that I was in for trouble, and I was - Marje gave me hell for not being Manx and coming over to steal jobs from proper Manx people. I told her I was REALLY here to steal women too, which made her tut even more!

On the Mannin Line she called once in response to something I'd said, and as I put her on air I said something like "here's Marje who will probably tell me it's none of my business 'cos I'm not Manx" - but she swerved expertly and said this: m2.wav

I was SO gobsmacked I kept the clip - and the following week she phoned in to lambast me about something else...so I played that clip back to her on air!

She had a real twinkle in her eye the couple of times I met her, and loved the banter and catching people out.

Thanks Stu - it was great to hear that voice again!

There is a time and a place maybe for bad language, but not in front of the kids. If the F word is acceptable to most then why is it an offence to use it in front of a policeman ?.

I didn't think it is an offence to use it in front of a policeman - it could well be an offence to tell a policeman to 'fuck off' or otherwise verbally abuse them. If so, probably because they are officers of the Crown and represent the sovereign, and this is a kind of breach of allegiance by refusal to recognise their proper authority in performance of their official duties, and thus breaching the peace. That I'd think was the original rationale - more generally it would probably now simply be under some Act dealing with Public Disorder.

I was once advised by my lawyer (I won't go into the circumstances!) that it was an offence to tell a copper to 'fuck off' as it was a term of abuse, but 'piss off' was OK as it was just a request to leave!

Archived