Fsc Members And Board Members Of Ksf Et Al

nipper

The problem is much of the media, and news programmes like Channel 4 news (which along with newsnight, I usually respect for their journalistic integrity) - can undo much of that work in one fell swoop by repeating phrases like 'tax haven', 'money laundering' etc.

To me I see it all as playground politics. Treat the general media as an unsophisticated, snotty-nosed, jealous, capricious adolescent. There's no sense in teaching it complex ideas because in this situation it doesn't have the attention span. For as long as we have a better tax deal over here it will call us names like 'tax haven'. It does not want to understand, it simply wants to draw attention to itself.

Our biggest failure, I think, is to try and reason with the media each time something crops up. You have to ignore it (as much as possible) when it's being bad, and top it, distract it, give it little treats when it's being good (but for God's sake don't fawn to it with this ridiculous 'Isle of Sam/Woman' nonsense) - going into lecture mode about what a tax haven is each time shows you up as not being able to take a joke - leave the humourlessness to the politicians...

The problem is much of the media, and news programmes like Channel 4 news (which along with newsnight, I usually respect for their journalistic integrity) - can undo much of that work in one fell swoop by repeating phrases like 'tax haven', 'money laundering' etc.

To me I see it all as playground politics. Treat the general media as an unsophisticated, snotty-nosed, jealous, capricious adolescent. There's no sense in teaching it complex ideas because in this situation it doesn't have the attention span. For as long as we have a better tax deal over here it will call us names like 'tax haven'. It does not want to understand, it simply wants to draw attention to itself.

Our biggest failure, I think, is to try and reason with the media each time something crops up. You have to ignore it (as much as possible) when it's being bad, and top it, distract it, give it little treats when it's being good (but for God's sake don't fawn to it with this ridiculous 'Isle of Sam/Woman' nonsense) - going into lecture mode about what a tax haven is each time shows you up as not being able to take a joke - leave the humourlessness to the politicians...

To ignore the impact of the media at this time is naive at best. On the Channel 4 news report (and more importantly the studio debate following it), only the customer, UK treasury and Jon Snow sides were covered. All three knocked the island in one way or another, with even the UK govt and customer aligning against the island on some points, and Jon Snow feeding leading questions with terms such as 'Tax Haven' and 'Money Laundering' - i.e. only three sides of the four sided square were covered.

To see current events regarding KSF, as an isolated event is also extremely naive. There is a much bigger picture likely to develop over the coming months, including not only KSF, but general regulation and further attacks on the island and other offshores eminating from the UK treasury, US (Obama) and OECD. There is a major lobby group against us which needs to be countered, and our approach cannot simply be covered on the Mannin Line or on Talking Heads etc. In the meantime, those against the island are turning up on national and international news programmes on TV and radio etc. and ensuring their points are put across.

We pay out millions of pounds each year in salaries to politicians, regulators and PR people - and have much to lose if things go against us. I detest the media for what they have become, at least as much as. but probably more than, the next man. But they do wield much power and influence and we have to up our game over this, and think outside of the KSF box too, otherwise the consequences could be far more wide-reaching than you can ever imagine. That's why we need a UK PR charm offensive and not just effectively defend the odd point on local radio, or like in the case of the Channel 4 report, simply give a statement that is nearly three days out of date.

The Isle of Man needs as little publicity as possible. Once we start sticking our head above the parapet then the UK press will have a field day. There have been some shameful episodes on this Island over the past few years and not necessarily to do directly with the Finance Sector.

Best let sleeping dogs lie if we can, eh. But actually, I don't think we can for too long.

The Isle of Man needs as little publicity as possible. Once we start sticking our head above the parapet then the UK press will have a field day. There have been some shameful episodes on this Island over the past few years and not necessarily to do directly with the Finance Sector.

Best let sleeping dogs lie if we can, eh. But actually, I don't think we can for too long.

That's actually an argument for better PR.

I wonder if you'll think the same when you're spending your day peeling spuds, gutting your weekly herring, and scavenging for driftwood firewood on the beach in a couple of years?

I wonder if you'll think the same when you're spending your day peeling spuds, gutting your weekly herring, and scavenging for driftwood firewood on the beach in a couple of years?

You make it sound as if deposit taking was the only option for the IOM.

AT, I don't share your pessimism, but agree that PR is important and worthwhile, and IoM does not seem to be connecting with the media.

I don't know you would have needed person in studio for the Channel Four item, and that may not be the best way. What perhaps is lacking is a 'this is IoM' press kit - explaining IoM is a 'finance centre' rather than 'tax haven' - that it is well regulated, recognised as 'clean', good practices etc. Couple of pages. Then Snow or whoever would probably have to challenge anyone who said IoM was a tax haven to give balanced coverage. It looks like IoM has either not got its message together or is not getting it across.

PR used effectively can shift perceptions and attitudes. (Remember the high hostility towards Camilla Parker Bowles - the notion that Charles might marry her was repugnant to many). Good effective low key PR over time (not too long either) can work a change and turnaround. IoM could put itself across very well and in a way which would silence most critics (the guy from KSF IOM depositors did a pretty good job of showing some of that). It's getting to show and let people know the 'true colours'. Doing that isn't just about damage control - it also can be a positive image which markets and brings in business.

I'd think the ideal opportunity to launch the image of IoM as a finance centre would be when the IBS course starts next year. (The one recently announced and set up by Alan Bell).

AT, I don't share your pessimism, but agree that PR is important and worthwhile, and IoM does not seem to be connecting with the media.

I don't know you would have needed person in studio for the Channel Four item, and that may not be the best way. What perhaps is lacking is a 'this is IoM' press kit - explaining IoM is a 'finance centre' rather than 'tax haven' - that it is well regulated, recognised as 'clean', good practices etc. Couple of pages....

There already is a London based PR company employed by the govt to do this. I don't think it is enough.

Pessism is healthy, it makes you assess risk regularly and come up with Plans A, B, C and D. The best project managers are pessimists.

To much optimism can often be categorised as naivety. I still think people need to start thinking outside of the KSF box and be more proactive.

Archived