Mountain Road Closed

bluemonday

Is it still closed? Too much h&s nanny bollocks going on. Closing a road for a tiny little bit of snow like substance - laughable...

I'd say it's eminently sensible, given the number of drivers on the island who are incapable of maintaining a reasonable speed in perfect driving conditions, slow down for the merest hint of a bend in the road, brake at the sight of a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction, etc.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Just come off it now, one car already skidded off, about three inches thick near Hailwoods, treacherous conditions.

So it's a good idea to close it.

that's the problem, nobody uses winter tyres and has no experience on loose/slippery stuff, and never experiencing such will never be any better, is it just the plod rangey which was allowed to go over there ?, there were a bunch of cars at the bungalow when the flurry passed over (but the road still looks black)

Can the cops/DoT just close it whenever they want? Doesn't it have to go through an order etc. Closing it for just a bit of snow is way OTT IMO - how will people ever learn to drive properly if they are being molly-coddled like that.

If people are destined to exit the gene pool for not following sensible driving advice - I say let em.

Can the cops/DoT just close it whenever they want? Doesn't it have to go through an order etc. Closing it for just a bit of snow is way OTT IMO - how will people ever learn to drive properly if they are being molly-coddled like that.

If people are destined to exit the gene pool for not following sensible driving advice - I say let em.

As I understand it the D.O.T don't shut the road the police do.

As I understand it the D.O.T don't shut the road the police do.

anything for a quiet life :D

just imagine if they closed the M62 or M6 Shap on a half hour flurry of flakes !

Looks clear enough to me, as long as your not driving like a TOOL ;)

It's not just how it looks - it's 0C so your tyres will not be working properly, the pressure from your car will create ice.

And you don't have winter tyres (as someone else said) - at low temps (less than 7C) winter tyres make one hell of a difference. With my MX-5 I could drive perfectly in -20C with ice and snow on the road. Winter tyres are more important than having 4x4.

Seeing how the local muppets drive in summer I would close the mountain road all year, not just in winter :)

Archived