[BBC News] Crackdown on drivers using phones

Newsbot

The Manx Constabulary has warned it will prosecute any motorist found using hand-held phones while driving, whether making a call or texting.

Texting!!!! Are there folk out there who drive and text? Anyone who does that should be banned from driving for at least 12 months (prefer 2 years) and made to take the driving test again. They have to be crazy and totally irresponsible. How can you enter text or read text and drive with your eyes on the road????

The Manx Constabulary has warned it will prosecute any motorist found using hand-held phones while driving, whether making a call or texting.

Texting!!!! Are there folk out there who drive and text? Anyone who does that should be banned from driving for at least 12 months (prefer 2 years) and made to take the driving test again. They have to be crazy and totally irresponsible. How can you enter text or read text and drive with your eyes on the road????

There's loads of people doing it. You can spot them - head slightly lowered, eyes facing down towards the steering wheel. I regularly spot half a dozen every day.

There's loads of people doing it. You can spot them - head slightly lowered, eyes facing down towards the steering wheel. I regularly spot half a dozen every day.

me too.

Texting!!!! Are there folk out there who drive and text? How can you enter text or read text and drive with your eyes on the road????

With their fingers and thumbs

I guess the text reads "I'm in the car and about to crash".

If you see it regularly I think texters cars should be confiscated and crushed. That might just encourage others to stop doing it.

As well as including bike riders, what about pedestrians crossing the road? I've had a few near misses with people walking out busily talking into phones. A great way to get shunted.

me too.

Maybe they're just tying their shoe laces?

I am all for road safety and all that, however, has there ever been a serious accident as a result of somebody using a mobile phone whilst driving on the Isle of Man? (I know there has been many in the UK - a famous rock band drummer died in such a way).

Looking at all the accidents where people have been killed on the Island, there is usually one common factor that is responsible. (But we won't go there again will we)?

How do you get somebody prosecuted if you see a driver using a mobile? Do you have to give a statement? We all see somebody using a mobile when we are out on the road, therefore should we report it to the cops?

Perhaps if you got banned instead of a fine then this offence would be reduced.

I am all for road safety and all that, however, has there ever been a serious accident as a result of somebody using a mobile phone whilst driving on the Isle of Man? (I know there has been many in the UK - a famous rock band drummer died in such a way).

Looking at all the accidents where people have been killed on the Island, there is usually one common factor that is responsible. (But we won't go there again will we)?

How do you get somebody prosecuted if you see a driver using a mobile? Do you have to give a statement? We all see somebody using a mobile when we are out on the road, therefore should we report it to the cops?

Perhaps if you got banned instead of a fine then this offence would be reduced.

Do we have to have a Cozy situation before we do something about this scourge?

I wouldn't mind people doing this at all if it were the morons doing it that were going to get killed. We could have as many nominees for the Darwen Awards as they like. Trouble is it is often innocent people who get maimed or injured by these morons rather than the morons themselves.

Mind you, an accident of this kind may be a "wake up call" to these w*nkers who drive and use phones (and, yes, I did use the expression deliberately).

I assume that morons who pull over wherever they like to answer that oh so imoprtant mobile call will also be equally dealt with.....jeez remember a time before mobiles...we all seemed to survive OK didnt we??

Too right. Some total arsewipe in a BMW stopped just past the roundabout at Braddan Bridge (just before Parkinsons where the road really narrows) last week to take a call last week. Its 5:30 traffic is shooting both ways and dickhead slams the brakes on and then blocks the road chatting away on his mobile. That really should be an offense. You f**king selfish prick.

Archived