Congo Crisis

Skeddan

"At least 200,000 people have been displaced from the area in the last two months, amid growing fears of a return to civil war."

UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon said "the intensification and expansion of the conflict is creating a humanitarian crisis of catastrophic dimensions and threatens dire consequences on a regional scale."

Spillover of Rwandan genocide, severe poverty and diamonds, with UN likely to be no more effective than they were in Rwanda.

It could get very bad.

good pics here:

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/45756,featur...es-congo-crisis

more info here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3280522/Co...-to-rebels.html

As you say, another genocide in the making.

The UN will do nothing as per Rwanda and the innocent death toll will mount.

Darfur is rarely mentioned these days either.

I suspect there's no appetite for the UN, or any major power, to get involved with this with all that is going on with the world economy, and all that has gone on over the last 8 years in terms of troops abroad. Much of Africa has been falling apart over the last decade and hardly anyone has done anything about it.

However, it explains why the price of umbongo has gone up recently.

I suspect there's no appetite for the UN, or any major power, to get involved with this with all that is going on with the world economy, and all that has gone on over the last 8 years in terms of troops abroad. Much of Africa has been falling apart over the last decade and hardly anyone has done anything about it.

The UN has 17,000 'peacekeepers' in the Congo which is their largest assignment at the moment. A spokesperson for Médicins sans Fontieres said on RTE this morning that one of the difficulties that the UN was facing was that it was perceived as being there to shore up the government. In some provinces this is apparently heartily disliked so it is undermining the UN position. A bad situation getting worse. But how can it be reversed?

The UN has 17,000 'peacekeepers' in the Congo which is their largest assignment at the moment. A spokesperson for Médicins sans Fontieres said on RTE this morning that one of the difficulties that the UN was facing was that it was perceived as being there to shore up the government. In some provinces this is apparently heartily disliked so it is undermining the UN position. A bad situation getting worse. But how can it be reversed?

That really is the question. It's really hard to be an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff in this situation. Ideally efforts ought to be proactive rather than reactive. The 'pre-crisis' situation needs to be handled as a crisis in the making.

The ICRC are very good, and much more maybe should be directed to them. I'd also like to see Geneva Conventions applied more vigorously. If rebel group does not adhere to these, then they are 'common enemies of mankind', whichever side they are on and regardless of whichever government is sponsoring them. UN peacekeeping role should then ratchet up to control and eradication. If full firepower were then brought to bear in such situations, the rebel groups might then be a bit more sensitive and people would not be in such fear with mass refugee problems. If they fight fair and don't use 'terrorism' then ok not to be involved other than to be standing by in case. (Oh dear, have I just become a cheerleader for 'War on Terror' - funny though that you don't see America and Europe really waging that kind of war on terror).

I'd also leave it to ICRC to call 'foul' and then with such sanctions for non compliance, rebel groups would be a bit more amenable to behaving as they should. It's tricky though - 'false flag' operations, going across borders, Rwanda sponsorship of rebels. etc.etc. Having 'aggression' brought in as crime against humanity would also help. That might be used to prevent Rwanda sponsoring rebel forces in Congo. That being brought in is long overdue.

I slightly wonder if it's an attempt to destabilise and bring down Congo government so that a new government which will be accommodating to diamond mining interests might replace them. Find suitable rebel leader; bribe Rwandan government and funnel funds through there; ensure arms are shipped and supplied; have replacement Congo govt leadership groomed and ready; look forward to even healthier balance sheet for next year.

I'd also like to see Geneva Conventions applied more vigorously.

I think that's pretty much well busted. Guantamo, rendition etc. etc. Or are we due back on the moral highground after the US election?

The west has as much credibility wrt the Geneva convention, as Rusell Bland has for taking out me grandaughter, or Champ has babysitting the kids.

As far as I know, Um Bongo is only consumed in the Congo - they make no claim that it is brewed there.

Not even that apparently, they take great pains to make that clear on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Um_Bongo

"However, Um Bongo is not marketed in either the Republic of the Congo or the Democratic Republic of the Congo"

So they can't drink Um Bongo in the Congo as they don't sell it there!!

Archived