[BBC News] Airport opens new treatment room

Newsbot

That reminds me. What happened to that body the archeologists dug up when the extensions were being made to the runway?

That reminds me. What happened to that body the archeologists dug up when the extensions were being made to the runway?

Just remind me too why - now that we are taking £150m out of our reserves to pay for a failed bank - are we still set to spend £40m extending an airport whose passengers seem to be dwindling monthly. We just can't help pissing money away despite the most negative financial outlook in 80 years.

Just remind me too why - now that we are taking £150m out of our reserves to pay for a failed bank - are we still set to spend £40m extending an airport whose passengers seem to be dwindling monthly. We just can't help pissing money away despite the most negative financial outlook in 80 years.

That £40 million does not include the £6.5 million for the control tower, the £2 million for the QB roundabout, any underwriting of the MEA debt, £1 million on the TV advertisements and the £10 million lost in KSF by the government (minus the £50,000 they can reclaim from the compensation scheme). Given we are comitted to setting £150 million aside from the taxpayer funded reserves as a prudent move to bolster the compensation scheme if all else fails, will the Government make similar prudent savings elsewhere to offset this over the next few years? No wonder they need the treatment room.

...the £2 million for the QB roundabout...

I thought that was £4 million?

Oh no! It would be interesting to know what the actual list and costs of capital projects are. As Gordon B says 'we have to borrow your way out'...

Oh no! It would be interesting to know what the actual list and costs of capital projects are. As Gordon B says 'we have to borrow your way out'...

The list would be interesting. I think its time that Allan Bell did the obvious and unpopular and told COMIN where the savings will be made to make up for dipping into reserves in this instance. The airport will be £50m by the time its done when air traffic is actually falling, the new school in Onchan is scheduled for £30m and its not even needed, the tourist board are a huge waste of cash and the DOTs lust for £4m roundabouts needs to be substantially curtailed. You could save nearly £100m by taking only a few brave decisions that would likely have no impact on anyones quality of life.

Its government that is going to have to show the way on this as massively putting up taxes and private sector initiatives can't be the way of raising extra cash this time around. The government departmental cash card has to be cut up.

Archived