Should Tynwald Be Televised?

Cronky

Skeddan

Put the argument another way, can the BBC insist in installing cameras in Tynwald for broadcasting?

That's a really interesting question. I put some thoughts on that earlier (post #23 above).

I'm more inclined to think the answer is yes than not. They have a Royal Charter - the sovereign has commanded them to carry out these duties (with Framework Agreement approved by Parliament). The UK is ultimately responsible for good government. Kilbrandon says yes.

However I think it is only of academic interest (though very interesting). I'm not sure how this might help nut out the issue of the BBC's obligation to provide coverage of Tynwald.

Are you perhaps thinking Tynwald should agree this first - otherwise the whole thing would be futile if they could block it? I don't think nothing should happen until Tynwald takes the initiative to give its approval and 'go ahead'. The BBC should be going ahead. It has a duty to comply with its obligations and there is no room for 'sitting on hands'. If perchance the BBC hit obstacles with Tynwald saying no, then the telephones start ringing - and I think IoMG would be told to pull their heads in - and would meekly do so.

So as I see it BBC shouldn't be sitting on their hands waiting for invitation from Tynwald. They should be turning up with copy of their Royal Charter and yes - insisting (nicely) - on carrying out what they have been charged to do by Her Majesty the Queen, By Grace of God etc. etc. (and if anyone stands in their way, then cross that bridge when come to it).

Does that help when looking at it the other way as you had in mind?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I was aiming to help you in your barrack room lawyering.

I can kind of see your argument, but looking at it in its entirety, I just cannot agree that there iis an obligation on the BBC to broaodcast proceedings of Tynwald. The Charter is silent on the point and the Framework Agreement seems to indicate that you are right, but that depends on the definitions you give Parliament, Assemblies and the UK.

Telephones did not 'start ringing' when BBC detector vans visited the Island 6 years ago, to be told to leave as they didn't have work permits.

I don't object to televising Tynwald by the BBC, but I don't think it is a good idea. I have more concerns about undue interference/involvement in IOM affairs by a quasi UK government body like the BBC.

Lost Login - would you mind giving a link to this 'House of Parliament' (!) fact sheet - it would help if being pointed to it. Thanks.

:)

The fact sheet can be found at http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/G05.pdf and provides a decent summary of the history costs etc, although I appreciate that it is from 2003

The BBC's editorial guidance notes can be found here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialg...roadcasting.pdf

The 2000 select committee report on the filming of parliament can be found here

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-offic...d/642/64202.htm

Whilst matters have been updated slightly since I do not think there have been any major changes in that pictures are provided to Broadcasters by the Parliament Broadcasting Unit Limited, which is funded jointly by the BBC ITV, SKY etc but that Parliament has control over. This is a neat summary from 2007

http://www.parliamentarybroadcast.org.uk/T...0Jan%202007.pdf

I would therefore go back to my original point that the BBC has no responsibility to Televise UK parliament. That it provides a channel on which it chooses to broadcast parliamentary proceedings it appears to do so by mutual agreement/choice not legislation. The power to permit or revoke access of TV cameras to the House also rest with Parliament and not with the broadcasters

I have more concerns about undue interference/involvement in IOM affairs by a quasi UK government body like the BBC

I think the whole idea would be an unmitigated disaster. The Isle of Man is not an easy place to understand as a resident - let alone from the 'outside'. Given the increasing international interest in the Island's position as an 'offshore tax centre' I could see televising / webcasting generating used against us by certain international authorities.

If Tynwald buys this suggestion, and frankly I doubt they will, it would only be a matter of time before our local politicans utterings get flashed before some Senate Committee hearing in Washington. It would be very easy for our debates to be over analysed, misinterpreted and used against us.

Obama is set to be strongly anti the Isle of Man. He needs the least evidence we can give him!

I expect only a handful of people on the Island would actually use the webcasts and they are probably the ones who have the time to actually attend the debates in the first place. Also, in these financially challenging times I really object to money being spent on gimmicks.

(1) In developing (and reviewing) the purpose remit for sustaining citizenship and civil

society, the Trust must, amongst other things, seek to ensure that the BBC gives

information about, and increases understanding of, the world through accurate and

impartial news, other information, and analysis of current events and ideas.

(2) In doing so, the Trust must have regard amongst other things to—

(a) the need to promote understanding of the UK political system (including Parliament

and the devolved structures), including through dedicated coverage of Parliamentary

matters, and the need for the purpose remit to require that the BBC transmits an

impartial account day by day of the proceedings in both Houses of Parliament;

That is indeed what the Charter says, which boils down to the requirement to promote understanding of the UK political system only which may include the IoM. You belief that it includes the responsibility to film Tynwald is in my view a leap too far as from the above there is no right or rsponsibility to even televise devolved assemblies. Reading the agreement it is clear that Parliament or Parliamentary refers to the UK Houses of Parliament.

Quite simply I can not see anywhere that there is a requirement for the BBC to televise Tynwald as whilst yes in the Charter and Framework the meaning of UK does include the IoM the word Parliament does not include Tynwald or the devold assemblies. You are appear to be assuming that it does

Archived