Resignations From Liberal Vannin

Bobs

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing's for sure, this thread is doing wonders for the membership levels of this forum.

This is almost as busy as the Ballacain thread during the trial.

Or the knifing thing on Ballaquayle.

Aye . . . I remember the days when a gentle forum discussion about where the Wurlitzer should be relocated was about as busy as it got.

One thing's for sure, this thread is doing wonders for the membership levels of this forum.

This is almost as busy as the Ballacain thread during the trial.

Or the knifing thing on Ballaquayle.

Aye . . . I remember the days when a gentle forum discussion about where the Wurlitzer should be relocated was about as busy as it got.

Is that thing in place yet?

Please note:

You may have noticed that a number of posts in this thread have dissapeared. These have been set invisible for now while they are being reviewed. As usual, please remember that although free speech is a great thing, an anonymous forum name does not protect you when speech is a little too free and it comes down to the legal stuff. Please use common sense when you post on the forum. Thank you.

A pretty good guideline is 'am I prepared to put my name under this'. If you're not, it's probably not suitable for the forum. There's been a lot of obvious new accounts set up just to post silly stuff in this thread, which is a good indication that the posters don't have the bottle to stand by what they're saying.

Hat off to those that have posted who they are though.

Regards,

Barack Obama

I see that text of the email purportedly sent by Nigel Dobson as posted by John Faragher has now been removed.

Is there any reason for this being removed? I can only suppose one of the following:

- what was posted was not something Nigel Dobson actually wrote.

- that the email was protected by confidentiality - either with disclaimer or per contractual obligations.

If it has been removed simply to save embarrassment (whether Mr Faragher's, Mr Dobson's or the Liberal Vannin Party's), and someone in a political role would prefer this removed, then that IMO shouldn't be good enough reason.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of choosing to post the email, IMO the matter is one which legitimately falls under 'public interest', and for that reason I don't see good reason for it to be removed. It is relevant to the troubles and resignations from LV, to the management of the political party and the credibility of people in LV and formerly members of LV - including elected politicians.

If, as one might gather, Mr Dobson mistakenly stated that there would be elections in 2008, and this mistake led to frustrations and resignations from the party, then why would anyone not want to air this openly - especially if the principles of openness and transparency of LV are taken into consideration.

Can we have some explanation for why this has been removed - Has someone asked for this to be removed or has MF taken it upon itself to do this? If someone has asked for it to be removed, who and for what reason?

Without knowing the reasons why it has been removed, IMO it seems reasonable to conjecture that this might have been at the request of pokerman/Nigel Dobson (given comments about not intending to 'do our dirty washing in public'). Moreover with regard to Mr Dobson's handling of party matters, both ai_Droid and oldmanxfella have very sensibly expressed surprise at Mr Dobson's claim that IoM newspapers edited his letter. Personally I'm a little sceptical about this, and find it hard to believe a newspaper would selectively edit a letter in this manner. But if that were indeed what happened, then I can only wonder why Mr Dobson did not take up the matter and insist on a correction rather than allow this to stand as it did. Should we assume IoM Newspapers refused to do this?

It looks to me like a fair amount of the upsets might be down to Mr Dobson perhaps not handling things quite as well as might be. It also strikes me that LV might not only be unwilling to 'do our dirty washing in public', but to do it at all. I don't think it is any excuse for the people who left to have spat the dummy and thrown the toys out of the cot, but clearly there are 'issues'. More incredibly to me LV seems to have done nothing to address these.

I'd have thought that for the sake of the party Mr Dobson might have fallen on his sword, made a public apology for the mistakes, and resigned his position in the party. I would think these mistakes coupled with the attitude of keeping muck under wraps would raise questions over his position in LV, especially if taken in conjunction with what might appear to be his seeking to have material removed from MF and making what appear to me to be veiled threats of legal action for libel. However with the benefit of open disucssion, perhaps pokerman/Mr Dobson might clarify these matters and why he does not think such resignation in order, and why he still enjoys the confidence of the LV leadership.

I was in Port Erin last night and Liberal Vannin were holding a branch meeting in the Station Hotel.

There is a coffee morning on 22nd November 2008 at the Liverpool Arms 10.00 to 12.00. Perhaps some of the forum members might wish to discuss any of the topics in the thread, although to be honest I don't think it is that big a deal to the Liberal Vannin Party. Apparently in Douglas this Wednesday there were more turned up than usual.

I'm not a member of the party but I am interested in local politics and hope the forum doesn't mind me posting the advert.

The poster is a bit wonky but that is because I took a photo of it. (I know how picky some forum members can be a bout these things!)

post-266-1226668417_thumb.jpg

There is a coffee morning on 22nd November 2008 at the Liverpool Arms 10.00 to 12.00. Perhaps some of the forum members might wish to discuss any of the topics in the thread, although to be honest I don't think it is that big a deal to the Liberal Vannin Party. Apparently in Douglas this Wednesday there were more turned up than usual.

£2 each of which 50% goes to charity.

What is the charity going to spend the £4 collected on?

Archived