Restraining Pupils !

manxlennie

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have children in school, know a few teachers and are privy to a lot of 'skeet' from schools across the Island. If there were big problems with drugs, knives and rowdy behaviour then I am sure we would have heard about it by now.

Anyone heard of knife crime in schools in the Isle of man?

This looks like a solution looking for a problem. I would strongly suspect that the Dep of Ed are just trying to pull UK legislation into the Isle of Man - perhaps unnecessarily. Of course we don't want these problems. But, if they are not really there in the first place why do we need the legislation?

Do these ideas come from the Minister or from UK civil servants?

I'd have to disagree Cronky, though I do understand your concerns regarding copying legislation willy nilly.

The fact is, the older you get the more you begin to realise that the island is only ten to twenty years behind the UK, but does eventually catch up. Drugs and poor behaviour are major problems in the UK and are beginning to become major problems in the islands schools now. Giving teachers such powers now will help discourage those who wish to bring drugs and knives in, and discourage those who think rowdy or violent behaviour will be treated with kid gloves.

In the UK this is a poor attempt at a cure, here you should look at it as prevention. The true test of politicians and civil servants here will be how they apply it, and what, if anything, they have learned from the mistakes made in the UK over the last ten to twenty years.

Also remember, the term 'low crime' is only a relative term - wholly different from 'no crime'.

But sometimes the IOM is ahead eg licensing hours and mobile phone legislation, voting at 16 etc

Makes you wonder whether we are sometimes used by the UK as a testbed for new ideas

I agree with all the new legislative proposals but I am concerned about the detention measures. To detain a child at school is basically a form of imprisonment. If a school detains a child after school will that school ensure a safe return home if the parents are working and cannot pick the child up?

What about a child waiting at a bus stop in the dark after detention who is then assaulted by a thug. Would the school then be responsible for such an assault after imprisoning the pupil and consequently denying the pupil safe return home on the school bus.

That stupid woman Mrs Craine who is the Education Minister (BTW OMG a daughter of the late Charles Kerruish SHK) has not thought this out.

I wonder has Mrs Craine discussed this with her sister Claire Christian MLC?

GOD HELP US ALL!

To detain a child at school is basically a form of imprisonment.

:huh:

What we need is more detentions.. more punishments..

Teachers now are unable to write an honest [negative] school report because they may hurt the feelings of the student. The whole system has turned on it's head. It's the students who are now in control. Teachers have to do what they are told..

Just imagine if a parent should complain.. oh dear, we can't have that. The student slammed a door at you.. hitting you in the face, hush hush.. keep it quiet, we can't be seen to be giving out discipline. Just have a little word with him/her.

He/she told you to F-off? that's fine. don't mention that in the school report though... remember be positive about the students regardles of what they do.

Not read the thread, but I was amazed at one MHK's desire to see a student's right of appeal against a detention. What is that all about? What next, the right to legal representation and access to 'one phone call'?

Come on, get real, chaps. Part of the maturing process is to understand that there are sanctions for unacceptable behaviour. When you get out in to the real world, you will find there is little protection from the repurcussions of your unacceptable behaviour, so you may as well learn that before you are released into the wild.

Mr S, that is not acceptable, but everyone, including teachers, has to abide by a code of conduct. That has to be learnt. What is more, children have to learn that there is a code of conduct outside of the, relatively, safe home environment and that as they mature the point of reference is no longer the home, but the wider society that they live in.

When I was at primary school one of my class mates had fidgety legs which got on the teacher's nerves, so the teacher tied his legs to the chair legs with rope.

Big irony in that - the 'sit still and concentrate!'. Often find that with kids with low arousal and naturally a bit day dreamy - fidgeting and moving is one way of increasing arousal, so helping focus attention to be able to concentrate. Today you just dose them full of stimulant medication.

Archived