[BBC News] Clarkson joke sparks complaints

Newsbot

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does newsbot work? I assume it's someone's job at the BBC to flag any news story that may be of interest to the Isle of Man, and then write the headline making the connection (there's no mention of the Isle of Man in the article so it can't be automated).

Who is that person? Can we all email to tell him that this isn't anything to do with the Isle of Man?

Doesn't this belong in General Chat rather than Local News? And not because he has connection with IoM, but because of bad taste and offensive remarks on the BBC - Like Ross and Brand.

IMO this does call for an apology by Clarkson and the producer. He wouldn't make such flip remarks like 'rape a child', especially if there had been a series of child rapes - it would be distressing and demeaning. It only fuels attitudes which dehumanise sex workers and no public service broadcaster should be allowing this.

In this case I think the blame lies on both - and both should be suspended - the BBC shouldn't have to wait for Ofcom - it's a bit of a no-brainer.

How does newsbot work? I assume it's someone's job at the BBC to flag any news story that may be of interest to the Isle of Man, and then write the headline making the connection (there's no mention of the Isle of Man in the article so it can't be automated).

Who is that person? Can we all email to tell him that this isn't anything to do with the Isle of Man?

three letters -

M

C

B

?

Newsbot watches the 'isle of man' rss feed from the beeb, and yeah someone at the beeb will flag a story. Presumably it's at least partly automated, or nested, so clarkson is also now flagged as IOM and we get this kind of stuff in our page.

As to the story:

"In a statement, the BBC said: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona."

Pretty much wraps it up for me.

"In a statement, the BBC said: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona."

What does that statement mean? It's just sidestepping the issue. The viewers may have clear expectations about his being provocative, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable on the BBC.

Suppose Clarkson was test driving a German car and made quips about how it's sturdy build was ideal for running down Jews, and the exhaust could be fed in to gas them if that didn't work. Now imagine the BBC responding to complaints with the above statement. IMO it would be insulting.

It's a no-brainer - the correct action is to suspend the presenter and producer immediately.

What does that statement mean? It's just sidestepping the issue. The viewers may have clear expectations about his being provocative, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable on the BBC.

Suppose Clarkson was test driving a German car and made quips about how it's sturdy build was ideal for running down Jews, and the exhaust could be fed in to gas them if that didn't work. Now imagine the BBC responding to complaints with the above statement. IMO it would be insulting.

It's a no-brainer - the correct action is to suspend the presenter and producer immediately.

Whatever happened to sticks and stones? It's just words, someones opinion, you can chose to disagree. Christ, why won't everyone get off their offended high horse?

I think the statements spot on, he's got a history of similar statements, it's in character, it's a lads vroom vroom show, nobody would or should be surprised by the comment.

It's far too easy for people to complain these days. An anonymous barely comprehensible 1 liner via email is now classed as a complaint. Make it harder to complain I say. Complaints should only be accepted via letter in long hand.

How this passes for news anyway is beyond me.

Is this the same person who is so shy and coy about people walking past his windows? Surely not!

IMO he is a loud mouthed plonker so I don't watch. Everyone to their own tastes.

Whatever happened to sticks and stones? It's just words, someones opinion, you can chose to disagree. Christ, why won't everyone get off their offended high horse?

where have youn been hiding?? there are hundreds words you can't use cos its against the law!!! never mind taking the piss at the expense of dead hookers. ( have any of the dead hookers complained??? NO, so they must be okay with it )

I think the statements spot on, he's got a history of similar statements, it's in character, it's a lads vroom vroom show, nobody would or should be surprised by the comment.

ai_Droid - I'm surprised at this - you wouldn't consider anything wrong in the BBC showing a Top Gear programme with Clarkson making such offhand quips about killing Jews. (Just words, someone's opinion, sticks and stones etc.).

Since you quote my post in full in your response, and given what you say, it seems this is your view. Is that so?

I've only seen the programme a few times recently. (I used to quite enjoy it many moons ago before it sank to becoming a lads vroom vroom show). As far as I could see it only seemed to encourage loutish boy-racer petrolhead behaviours (not a good thing given appalling road accident statistics), and did nothing to promote or encourage safe responsible driving. If it was setting out to appeal to lads and louts while promoting good behaviours rather than bad, I could understand having a crass loud mouthed presenter. But it doesn't - if anything it seems to only engender such behaviours. I can't understand how the programme should be considered part of 'Public Services' according to public service broadcasting. It 'coarsens the standards of public life' - by that test the programme as is should be scrapped.

ai_Droid - I'm surprised at this - you wouldn't consider anything wrong in the BBC showing a Top Gear programme with Clarkson making such offhand quips about killing Jews. (Just words, someone's opinion, sticks and stones etc.).

Yeah, why not? Humor is a way of expressing public feeling, cutting through the crap, establishing proportion and very often a way of dealing with the seriously traumatic. Should Joan Rivers 9/11 joke have been banned?

If you don't like it, turn it off. Choice is yours, but don't make mine for me.

Archived