[BBC News] Clarkson joke sparks complaints

Newsbot

Seriously, the level of hollow boasting about winning arguments on this thread and the Manuel one is astounding. It's like the cyber version of a rap battle, only much less entertaining. The insults are a bit lame though, especially Slim/AI Droids silly little tactic of accusing anyone who disagrees with his point of view of being prudes or old - "purple rinsed tutters", "antiques roadshow brigade". It's a pretty shit way to make your point.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The insults are a bit lame though, especially Slim/AI Droids silly little tactic of accusing anyone who disagrees with his point of view of being prudes or old - "purple rinsed tutters", "antiques roadshow brigade". It's a pretty shit way to make your point.

No! it just turned in to the usual Slim/Al droid cockfight ;)

Seriously, the level of hollow boasting about winning arguments on this thread and the Manuel one is astounding. It's like the cyber version of a rap battle, only much less entertaining. The insults are a bit lame though, especially Slim/AI Droids silly little tactic of accusing anyone who disagrees with his point of view of being prudes or old - "purple rinsed tutters", "antiques roadshow brigade". It's a pretty shit way to make your point.

Flattered once again that I'm more interesting than the subject matter, cheers!

Flattered once again that I'm more interesting than the subject matter, cheers!

Do you have a book of childish forum comebacks that you consult?

Do you have a book of childish forum comebacks that you consult?

No. Did you have a point to add to the subject or is your contribution actually more pointless than the posts your complaining about?

Git: I already tut at my kids tastes, which is how it should be. Can't stand spongebob or High School Musical and think the Star Wars Clone Wars movie is the saddest pile of dross ever produced, but the kids love it all.

Realistically though, Radio 1 - youth, Radio 2 - bit older, Radio 3&4 older folks again. It's a generalisation and of course there's exceptions, but it's generally accepted that your tastes change when you age, surely?

Not entirely true. Tastes generally remain the same, but things around you change - some for the better, some worse.

I’ve looked at some of my favourite comedians from the past on Youtube and, in many cases, wondered how on earth I ever found anything to laugh at in some of their performances. There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

A lot of today’s comedians are very, very good – regardless of whether their humour appears crude or offensive to some. As long as it’s allied to genuine wit, it is perfectly acceptable to me.

I’ve never listened to Radio1 even though I was a teenager when it first started (probably because I resented the attempt to replace the pirate stations with something more ‘acceptable’) and only occasionally to Radio 2 (I appeared on it in a quiz once upon a time!).

Radio 3 never interested me – I’ve always liked classical music, poetry etc., but regarded that station as a home for navel-gazing, intellectual poseurs.

Radio 4 was one of the best sources of information before the advent of the Internet and remains one of the best stations in the world for encouraging new talent in comedy.

Can anyone tell me how the argument 'statement X is offensive because if he'd made a racist comment in statement Y you'd be up in arms' works? is it some kind of quantum thing, like that 'is he or isn't he' cat?

Not entirely true. Tastes generally remain the same, but things around you change - some for the better, some worse.

Don't agree with that. You'll carry some stuff like your mum likes cliff richard because she did when she was a girl, but your tastes change too. A teenager generally won't watch the news but will watch The Sunday Night Project, but he'll more likely start watching the news wen he's older.

I’ve looked at some of my favourite comedians from the past on Youtube and, in many cases, wondered how on earth I ever found anything to laugh at in some of their performances. There are exceptions, of course, but not many.

A lot of today’s comedians are very, very good – regardless of whether their humour appears crude or offensive to some. As long as it’s allied to genuine wit, it is perfectly acceptable to me.

I’ve never listened to Radio1 even though I was a teenager when it first started (probably because I resented the attempt to replace the pirate stations with something more ‘acceptable’) and only occasionally to Radio 2 (I appeared on it in a quiz once upon a time!).

Radio 3 never interested me – I’ve always liked classical music, poetry etc., but regarded that station as a home for navel-gazing, intellectual poseurs.

Radio 4 was one of the best sources of information before the advent of the Internet and remains one of the best stations in the world for encouraging new talent in comedy.

For comedy, I see your point yes, it's fixed to a point in time, but I think there's still age divides. Brands foppy rock star persona brings that out more than other peformers, it'll induce a kneejerk more than someone like Jimmy Car, who sails just as close to the wind but looks more traditional. Ross Nobles a bit the same, brilliant comedian, but will be disregarded by a large number of people simply because of how he looks.

I really don't get championing radio 4 as a source of new talent in comedy, have I missed something? Sandi Toksvig, Andy Hamilton and Jeremy Hardy have been around for donkeys!

I really don't get championing radio 4 as a source of new talent in comedy, have I missed something? Sandi Toksvig, Andy Hamilton and Jeremy Hardy have been around for donkeys!

Yes they have, but Hamilton and Hardy I think both cut their teeth sending in jokes/sketches etc for Weekending. Whilst they may now be known as performers, commercially as writers they were probably also first given their head by Radio 4.

That is the way for many writers, as Radio 4 is frequently commissioning new series from "unknowns" just like it did with Hamilton & Hardy. Some go on to succeed, others do not but it probably is one of the few organisations that activley encourages & commisions new work from "unknowns". In reality many succesful comedy writers are probably not well known as the general public presumme the "stars" write their own material. How many readily know who write the major comedy series, many of which started on Radio 4 before switching to TV. You mention Sandi Toksvig who as the presenter of the News Quiz is a regular on Radio 4. Do you know who off your head who writes her jokes/scripts on that programme?

Whilst mainly encouraging writes though rather than performers it does though every year have series like Four at the Store, Compilations from the Edinbrugh Fringe and others at which performers can make a mark. This has lead to series for people like Mark Watson, Milton Jones etc who are hardly household names on TV

The Mighty Boosh, The League of Gentlemen, Dead Ringers, That Mitchell and Webb Sound, for example? There are many more - and a large of number of the comics doing the rounds and achieving success first made their breakthrough on 4.

Archived