[BBC News] Clarkson joke sparks complaints

Newsbot

I really don't get championing radio 4 as a source of new talent in comedy, have I missed something? Sandi Toksvig, Andy Hamilton and Jeremy Hardy have been around for donkeys!

The Mighty Boosh, The League of Gentlemen, Dead Ringers, That Mitchell and Webb Sound, for example? There are many more - and a large of number of the comics doing the rounds and achieving success first made their breakthrough on 4.

OK, you're right then, that's an impressive list. I'm missing out because I get most of my radio 4 from podcasts, which means I get the Now Show and News Quiz and that's about it. Oh I did download the Dirk Gently thing off iplayer too, but I'm a bit of a Douglas Adasm nut.

Shame they don't put the other stuff in podcast form, I'll keep an eye out though, ta.

I'll stick to my guns though and say that generally Radio1 has the youth audience, not Radio4, despite what you've said. There may be exceptions like yourself of course.

Lost Login: consider me educated, cheers!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think R4 is the best broadcasting on the planet. But you can't mention Andy Hamilton without mentioning his fantastic creation "Old Harry's Game". When it was on at 6:30 pm I've nearly lost the wheels a couple of times listening to it. Fantastic comedy - sharp, witty, clever and extremely funny.

I don't really think you can compare R1 and R4 though. One is predominately music and the other predominately isn't.

Archived